none
SCVMM "Processor" setting

質問

• Our HOST is a 2 CPU, Quad Core Xeon, but SCVMM shows the Guest Processor as "1.0 GHZ Pentium III Xeon".   Can this be adjusted from SCVMM? if so, why wouldn't I set the Guest speed to near that of the HOST?

TIA,

barkingdog

2008年12月23日 22:59

回答

•  

VM CPU Type shown in VM properties dialog is a SCVMM concept and is not related to the actual hardware.

It’s there just to provide workload description for intelligent placement module of SCVMM. For example, if you create new VM, you can say that you expect it to be equivalent of 1 GHZ Pentium III (or any other CPU model) with utilization of 40%. SCVMM placement module will make sure that this VM will be deployed on the right host that can provide enough CPU resources.

Once VM is deployed and running VMM will use historical performance information about this VM during migrations. Also note that CPU utilization parameter in “Customize Ratings” dialog is normalized to VM processor type.

Regards,
    Konstantin

2008年12月24日 4:13

すべての返信

•  

VM CPU Type shown in VM properties dialog is a SCVMM concept and is not related to the actual hardware.

It’s there just to provide workload description for intelligent placement module of SCVMM. For example, if you create new VM, you can say that you expect it to be equivalent of 1 GHZ Pentium III (or any other CPU model) with utilization of 40%. SCVMM placement module will make sure that this VM will be deployed on the right host that can provide enough CPU resources.

Once VM is deployed and running VMM will use historical performance information about this VM during migrations. Also note that CPU utilization parameter in “Customize Ratings” dialog is normalized to VM processor type.

Regards,
    Konstantin

2008年12月24日 4:13
  • Hello,

sorry for digging this out but from what I see in SCVMM R2 this setting is used not only for rating calculation and intelligent placement but also for ".. setting CPU resource allocations". Now I'm wondering how changing CPU type is related to Hyper-V Manager CPU resources since when I change CPU Type I'm not seeing any change in Hyper-V Manager CPU resource allocations. Can someone describe this?

Thanks
    2009年11月14日 17:58