none
ping sees it but file explorer doesn't

คำถาม

• Replaced a Server 2008 with a Server 2016 and wanted to make a C record in dns so workstations referencing oldserver would automatically get pointed at newserver. (Oldserver was, and now newserver is, the only dns server in the system.) C record didn't seem to work. Whether testing from the server itself or from a workstation nothing could ping or find oldserver. Did /flushdns and /registerdns etc. So deleted the C record and made an A record. When it asked if I wanted an associated PTR record I said yes. Success, kind of. After /flush and /register test workstation can find oldserver by ping and resolves to the new IP. But when I point File Explorer at \\oldserver\share it say "name must be wrong". If I point FE at \\newserver\share it finds it. Just not by \\oldserver\share. Also tried mapping by net use and that failed too. Tried RDP from workstation to oldserver and it found it. It failed to authenticate because "the name of the system you're connecting to is not the name you asked for" but at least it found it.

So I had to go around to workstations and manually point shortcuts and such to the new. Why didn't this work? Before you suggest dns issues (the people I've asked seem to focus on that) remember that dns resolves fine. It's not dns failing it's just that FE will not find a share that's there even though dns resolves just fine.

Or alternative question, which is about dns, why didn't the C record work?

Thanks.

15 พฤษภาคม 2561 18:49

คำตอบ

• I have done the research.

The complete command in CMD shows as below and we'll need to create Cname record in DNS for it at the same time.

NETDOM COMPUTERNAME machine /ADD:FQDN

Best regards,

Michael

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Njem 20 พฤษภาคม 2561 23:57
    17 พฤษภาคม 2561 2:49
  • I think I got there kind of round about. I deleted oldserver from AD. Then I used netdom to add it as a 2nd name for newserver. I also had the C record in place. But still nothing could ping or find the name oldsever. That part is still very weird to me. I've never had a C record just not be seen. So I deleted the C record and created and A record. I also tried setspn -l oldserver to verify that netdom had really made oldserver a valid name. setspn couldn't find oldserver. But when I went to a station and tried in File Explorer to open share \\oldserver\share it found it. That is, found that same share now on newserver. That was the goal all along. So now any stations still trying to fetch data from oldserver will find it on newserver. Thanks.
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Njem 21 พฤษภาคม 2561 0:04
    21 พฤษภาคม 2561 0:04

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Hi,

Thanks for your question.

Let's discuss about the Cname record firstly. Commonly, DNS can resolve the name you requested mapping to IP address or specific service location or another name. That is, Cname record is an Alias of the computer DNS name actually like www.google.com -> webserver001.google.com

Here is a link talked about this topic, it may be helpful.

https://support.dnsimple.com/articles/differences-between-a-cname-alias-url/

Please Note: Since the web site is not hosted by Microsoft, the link may change without notice. Microsoft does not guarantee the accuracy of this information.

So in this thread, would you like to resolve oldserver.company.com mapping to newserver.company.com and the newserver's IP?

Meanwhile, if the old server and new server both connect in your network, we'll test their connectivity firstly. Then we'll create A records for both servers so that we can test if DNS server could resolve both servers' A record and if also can use net share \\server\share.

Hope above information helpful. If you have any question and concern, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

16 พฤษภาคม 2561 13:51
  • Newserver replaced oldserver and oldserver is offline. Yes, I wanted things like share shortcuts on workstations to resolve "\\oldserver\share" to now automatically find the share on the new server. Newserver has identical shares. That's exactly why it seems a C record should have worked. It simply creates an alias for newserver. So I created a C record named oldserver that pointed to the IP of the newserver. As noted, not even newserver itself could resolve this by ping or nslookup or tracert.
    16 พฤษภาคม 2561 19:45
  • Hi,

Thanks for your update.

Please try the following link,

SMB file server share access is unsuccessful through DNS CNAME alias

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/3181029/smb-file-server-share-access-is-unsuccessful-through-dns-cname-alias

Resolution:

1 Add the DisableStrictNameChecking value to the registry on newserver:

Registry location: 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\LanmanServer\Parameters
    DWORD name: DisableStrictNameChecking
    DWORD value: 1

2 Important Do not use DNS CNAMEs in the future for file servers. If you want to still give "alternate names" to servers, you can do so with the following command:

Note This command automatically registers SPNs for the alternate names.

Hope this helps. I look forward hearing your good news. If you have any questions, please feel free to let me know.

Best regards,

Michael

17 พฤษภาคม 2561 1:53
  • I have done the research.

The complete command in CMD shows as below and we'll need to create Cname record in DNS for it at the same time.

Best regards,

Michael

• ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Njem 20 พฤษภาคม 2561 23:57
    17 พฤษภาคม 2561 2:49
  • Michael,

Thanks. I'll try this but just to clarify, I should us the netdom command AND create the C record?

Tom

18 พฤษภาคม 2561 4:02
  • Yes! The command NETDOM is used to set SPN for the new server. 

Reference for Service Principal Names

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms677949(v=vs.85).aspx

In addition, we can use the command setspn -l <machine name> to check the registered SPN of the domain.

I made this tab and works fine. We could test it. I'll follow and look forward hearing your good news.

Highly appreciate your successive effort and time.

Best regards,

Michael  

18 พฤษภาคม 2561 4:30
  • We're getting closer but there's still something in the way. Remember that the 2nd name I'm trying to register is the name of a server that used to be in the system, which might be confusing things. When I try netdom computername to register the 2nd name it gives an error that it can't because that name is already registered (though whether it means register to the server or just registered within the domain is not clear). When I use setspn to list the results for the 1st, main, real server name it gives me a full list of results. When I ask it to list for the 2nd name it also gives a full list of results. When I tried to delete the 2nd name so I could do netdom fresh, that is I tried setspn -d oldserver newserver (which should delete oldserver name's association with newserver) it just shows me the help list again like I had syntax wrong. I used netdom to remove the name oldserver and that worked but then tried to add it fresh and it gave error "cannot create a file when that file already exists". Also note that when I took oldserver offline I tried to demote it first but it gave an error I didn't think was significant and so just shut it down without demoting it.

20 พฤษภาคม 2561 3:40
  •  Also note that when I took oldserver offline I tried to demote it first but it gave an error I didn't think was significant and so just shut it down without demoting it.

Then you'll want to perform cleanup.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc816907(v=ws.10)#bkmk_graphical

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

• เสนอเป็นคำตอบโดย Dave PatrickMVP 21 พฤษภาคม 2561 0:03
    20 พฤษภาคม 2561 3:51
  • I think I got there kind of round about. I deleted oldserver from AD. Then I used netdom to add it as a 2nd name for newserver. I also had the C record in place. But still nothing could ping or find the name oldsever. That part is still very weird to me. I've never had a C record just not be seen. So I deleted the C record and created and A record. I also tried setspn -l oldserver to verify that netdom had really made oldserver a valid name. setspn couldn't find oldserver. But when I went to a station and tried in File Explorer to open share \\oldserver\share it found it. That is, found that same share now on newserver. That was the goal all along. So now any stations still trying to fetch data from oldserver will find it on newserver. Thanks.
    • ทำเครื่องหมายเป็นคำตอบโดย Njem 21 พฤษภาคม 2561 0:04
    21 พฤษภาคม 2561 0:04
  • Hi,

Thanks for your detailed update.

This SPN is for the new server. Actually, we should type setspn -l newserver. It wouldn't find oldserver by the command because the oldserver was offline.

Indeed, it is very weird for that it can't ping the old name, but it's OK in my lab. 

In a word, we can also utilize A record instead of C record for this implementation. I'm very pleased that you achieved the implementation. Thanks for sharing here as it would be helpful to other people who encounters a similar issue.

Highly appreciate your successive effort and time.

Best regards,

Michael

21 พฤษภาคม 2561 8:47