none
Receive connector during exchange transition 2007/2013

คำถาม

• Hi All,

We're migrating from Ex07 to 2013. Till today We've migrated all mailboxes and now we're switching/reconfiguring internal systems to use new exchange server.
    Now, on our sharepoint server we've changed smtp configuration and we pointed new Ex2013 as default mail server.

However recently I checked message tracking logs on Ex2007 and it turned out that I can see many emails which were send by sharepoint via old server ( via and new Ex2013 server I can see also) . During migration we recreated all receive connectors on Exchange 2013 so, so we have now 1:1 copy.
    Currently there are 2 connectors (on old and new mail server) where sharepoint ip address is listed.

I know that I can delete sharepoint IP from remote IP addresses from old exchange 2007, but do you have an idea why emails are being send through old server ?
    What is connector prioroity in such migration configuration ?.

I assume that in case of when 2 connectors are defined (1 with specific Ip and 1 with subnet) then more specific connector will be used right ?.

Thank you in advance.

• แก้ไขโดย Phillip_Morris 14 พฤษภาคม 2561 10:49 new info
    14 พฤษภาคม 2561 10:32

ตอบทั้งหมด

• Your description isn't specific enough for me to tell you what's wrong.  In general, you don't recreate send connectors when you install a newer version of Exchange in the same site, what you should do is change the SourceTransportServers to the new server.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

15 พฤษภาคม 2561 5:12
    ผู้ดูแล
  • Ok, you're right I wasn't specific enough.
    Here's current environment specification.
    We have 2 exchanges 2007 and 2013 working as muli role CAS/HUB/MBX server's.
    On Exchange 2013 we copied server specific send connectors which existed on Ex2007 to Exchange2013. Default receive connectors remained untouched On Ex2013.
    Till now we migrated all mailboxes, public folders, OWA from old Ex2007 to Ex2013.
    Currently we're reconfiguring internal systsems (eg. sharepoint app server) to use new Ex2013 receive connector.
    Now from sharepoint App server I sent via telnet session an email while being connected to Ex2013 to both internal/external recipients and email has been received by recipients but I don't have a clue why exchenage used particular connector instead of dedicated where sharepoint App server IP is defined.
    Sharepoint IP is: 192.168.1.20.
    All sharepoint emails are routed via connector: "Exch2013\Default Exch2013" which has the following settings:

AuthMechanism :                  Tls, Integrated, BasicAuth, BasicAuthRequireTLS, ExchangeServer
    Bindings:                        {0.0.0.0:2525, [::]:2525}
    PermissionGroups:                 ExchangeUsers, ExchangeServers, ExchangeLegacyServers
    RemoteIPRanges:                   {::-ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff:ffff, 0.0.0.0-255.255.255.255}

But why emails aren't send by this connector "Exch2013\Relay Connector"

AuthMechanism                           : Tls
    Bindings                                : {10.233.36.50:25}
    PermissionGroups                        : AnonymousUsers, Custom
    RemoteIPRanges                          : {10.233.40.5/32, 192.168.1.20}

Mac

• แก้ไขโดย Phillip_Morris 15 พฤษภาคม 2561 8:56 fix2
    15 พฤษภาคม 2561 8:54
  • Hi Phillip_Morris,

I think this custom receive connector doesn't create correctly. We should choose Externally secured (for example, with IPsec) rather then Transport Layer Security (TLS).
    In the Permission groups, we also should choose Exchange servers. 

This article will be useful to you to create an anonymous relay connector: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt668454(v=exchg.160).aspx

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

15 พฤษภาคม 2561 10:58
  • Hi Phillip_Morris,

I think this custom receive connector doesn't create correctly. We should choose Externally secured (for example, with IPsec) rather then Transport Layer Security (TLS).

This article will be useful to you to create an anonymous relay connector: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt668454(v=exchg.160).aspx

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

Hello Kyle.Xu,

On Exchange 2013 I enabled logging on all receive connectors and it looks that all connections are made only through default connector named "Exch2013\Default Exch2013".The rest of default connectors for example 
    "Default Frontend Exch13" are not touched and used.

Because still we have in play exchange 2007, there are lot of connections logged in receive connector logs (in "Exch2007\Default Exch2007".

May be such situation has something to do with exchange coexistence ? and till we don't throw out old exchange 2007 some issue like above may occur ?

Mac

15 พฤษภาคม 2561 11:57
  • Hi Phillip_Morris,

Regards,

Kyle Xu

Hello Kyle.Xu,

On Exchange 2013 I enabled logging on all receive connectors and it looks that all connections are made only through default connector named "Exch2013\Default Exch2013".The rest of default connectors for example 
    "Default Frontend Exch13" are not touched and used.

Because still we have in play exchange 2007, there are lot of connections logged in receive connector logs (in "Exch2007\Default Exch2007".

May be such situation has something to do with exchange coexistence ? and till we don't throw out old exchange 2007 some issue like above may occur ?

Mac

Ok, sorry for misunderstanding but I checked wrong logs paths. As you know receive connector logs are stored in "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\FrontEnd\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive" and "C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\V15\TransportRoles\Logs\Hub\ProtocolLog\SmtpReceive".

So when I checked "FrontEnd" log path (not "Hub" as previously) and it turned out that all connections are there ;), so it looks good.

Anyway I have some last concern regarding receive connector usage.

We have reconfigured SharePoint App server to use new exchange2013 but somehow I can see in message tracking logs that some emails are being sent still through Exchange2007. If we have still 2 servers Ex2007/2013 were they were defined the exact the same relay connectors, if there is a possibility that some part of mail traffic will be routed to exchange2007 instead of 2013 ? 

Meanwhile I will check more deeply sharepoint App because maybe some webpart is still using hardcoded old Exchange 2007.

Mac

15 พฤษภาคม 2561 12:44
  • "On Exchange 2013 we copied server specific send connectors which existed on Ex2007 to Exchange2013."

Yeah, I said that you don't do that.  You change the SourceTransportServers of the existing connectors to the new server.

Ed Crowley MVP "There are seldom good technological solutions to behavioral problems."
    Celebrating 20 years of providing Exchange peer support!

15 พฤษภาคม 2561 21:12
    ผู้ดูแล