none
Hyper-v Replication enable

คำถาม

• Hello ,

I`ve 10 physical machines and I performed P2V for those machines and linked on hyper-v server on main site so my question is when enable replication features on both server replica and source , Shall I do anything for the replicated virtual machines in terms of VM hostname and IP schema for VMs Or just enable the replica option and configure the firewall setting , accept the replication from the source server to enable the VM replication for DR site...

Another story can I enable hyper-v replica between hyper-v server and physical server

Edward

11 มิถุนายน 2561 13:34

ตอบทั้งหมด

• https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/virtualization/hyper-v/manage/set-up-hyper-v-replica provides the basics for configuring Hyper-V Replica.  Is there a specific question you have after following directions like this?

"can I enable hyper-v replica between hyper-v server and physical server"

Yes, if by "Hyper-V server" you mean the no-cost download from Microsoft, and by "physical server" you mean a server running Windows Server with the Hyper-V role installed.

tim

• แก้ไขโดย Tim CerlingMVP 11 มิถุนายน 2561 13:45
    11 มิถุนายน 2561 13:45
  • Thanks Tim for your reply and I am listing down my points to be more clear

1- when I setup Hyper-v replica the source server is copied the same vhd offline for another server (replica server-which is on DR site) with the same hostname and IP schema so when the main site goes down the VM on DR site will go online but in this scenario there is no any conflict as the DR site has a different IP schema for example...! or shall I configure anything regarding.

2-I`ve physical server running business application and performed p2v , then linked its vhd on Hyper-v server on DR site  so can I enable hyper-v replica between this virtual machine and the main physical server  

Awaiting your valuable feedback.   

Edward

11 มิถุนายน 2561 14:01
  • I'm still not clear on what you are trying to do.  It sounds like your point 1 is that your destination has a different IP configured environment than your source.  If this is the case, it is likely that you need to configure your replica to have a different IP when it is started.  If this is the case, http://www.aidanfinn.com/?p=14537 might provide you information about how to automatically change IP information for your DR site.

On your second point, I will first say that it is not recommended to perform P2V, even though tools are available.  It is always recommended to create a clean virtual machine and install the applications to that.  The recommended way ensures there are no artifacts of the P2V process that could cause troubleshooting issues when a problem occurs.  But, some people use P2V anyway.

Regardless of the P2V issue, I am still having trouble understanding your problem statement.  Hyper-V replica replicates Hyper-V VMs between two physical hosts that are running Hyper-V.  Hyper-V Replica is not a capability of a virtual machine, but of the Hyper-V hypervisor.

tim

11 มิถุนายน 2561 14:20
  • simply speaking we have converted physical server X to virtual one and copied the vhd for this virtual server to DR site and linked on hyper-v server and the question is we can enable the hyper-v replication between the virtual machine which is on DR site and the physical server X which is on main site , That`s it!!

Edward

11 มิถุนายน 2561 15:00
  • Did you read the first URL I posted?  See Point 8 under Enable Virtual Machine Replication.  That tells you how to use a 'pre-copied' VM instead of letting the replication engine create the copy.

tim

13 มิถุนายน 2561 12:54