none
How to sysprep WIndows 10 for multiple brand computers RRS feed

• السؤال

• I work in IT in a large School. I am having a difficult time sysprepping a new Windows 10 image. I was able to do this up until Windows 7 but something changed in Windows 10. So, I need to know the steps to create an image and then sysprep it for deployment to 200 machines. The bigger issue is that we only had one model (HP Elite Desk 800 G1) when I did the successful Sysprep two years ago but now, in the past couple of years, we added the G2, G3 and now the G4. I am sure the chipset has changed since the original G1. 

What is the correct way to accomplish this? I obviously cannot have the drivers of the G1 pre-installed or the other machines will blue screen. Am I supposed to create an image without any installed drivers and simply create a drivers folder for all machines in the drive. I think what I really need is a universal image that would work with most models. I am sure this is a lot to ask but this task is on me and I have to figure it out.  Thanks for any input you can provide. 

13/صفر/1441 06:58 م

جميع الردود

• Kindly go through the following Microsoft reference:

System builder deployment of Windows 10 for desktop editions

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

14/صفر/1441 02:47 ص
  • MDT can save you lots of time, and it gives you a reusable and customization solution, it extends the basic tools, and automates the task (less human error :)

https://deploymentresearch.com/building-a-windows-10-v1809-reference-image-using-microsoft-deployment-toolkit-mdt/

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

14/صفر/1441 08:34 م
  • Hi,

Here is an article about creating custom install images for your reference: 

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/dd637993(v=ws.10)?redirectedfrom=MSDN

Best regards,

Yilia 

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

15/صفر/1441 03:46 ص
    المشرف
  • You could add the drivers for the other machines and let PnP install the correct drivers on boot. I have had to do this for a couple clients.

Or you could create a generic image, then use the Sysprep unattended file to run a Pass7 sync command that detects the model and install the correct drivers. It will take a bit of work to figure out which model is which. 

Sean Liming - Book Author: Starter Guide Windows 10 IoT Enterprise - www.annabooks.com / www.seanliming.com

15/صفر/1441 05:43 ص
  • Hi,

Is there anything I can do for you?

If you have any problems or concerns, please feel free to post here. 

Best regards,

Yilia

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

19/صفر/1441 08:33 ص
    المشرف
  • That sounds exactly what I need. So, I am beginning the process by taking our oldest model from 2016, which includes an ATI VGA card. I have installed all of the applications. Here is where I get confused. From past experience, I know you cannot simply transplant a hard drive from one computer to another because it will Blue Screen from the incorrect drivers and different hardware\chipsets. So, now that installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 Enterprise on this computer, all of the drivers were automatically downloaded when I connected to the internet. This will most likely Blue Screen the other models because the chipset has changed, plus some of the same model do not have the high end video card. Do I need to set everything up, then go to device manager and remove all of the drivers before I sysprep? 

If that is what I must do, then I have to look into a Pass7 sync (which I never heard of) and include a folder with 4 different models' drivers. I don't think Windows 10 has the drivers for the latest HP EliteDesk 800 G4, which means it will not be on the network to be able to download the drivers.

Now, I have not been able to sysprep successfully since Windows 7. Did the process change?  And I appreciate all of the replies everyone has offered. I hope I can get through this. I wish there was a checklist of items that must be done once I get my master desktop up and running.

26/صفر/1441 12:53 م
  • The process is the same from Windows 7 to Windows 10.

Any drivers that require installation (such as AMD or nVidia video drivers) should not be installed onto the reference image. If a configuration needs software like this, use a specific process for each. You can usually add INFs into the image without an issue, although there are some circumstances where the drivers themselves can cause an issue. For that, you'll have to figure out through testing and pilot phase whether or not it effects you.

I recommend that you use MDT to handle this deployment, as DonPick says.

02/ربيع الأول/1441 08:32 م