none
Login problems RRS feed

• السؤال

• Hi,

We have a user which sees the windows 10 pro login screen but no accounts proposed : if he clicks on the screen or press key, the logon display becomes trouble and after a while it is ok again. we tried all possible keys without success.

We tried a system restore before updates no way , problem remains ...

So , from a usb stick we set safe mode with bcdedit and can work without problems in safe mode , we disable all staring programs but no way, problems remain after normal restart

What do you suggest to solve this ?

Thanks in advance

Best regards

Dirk

19/ذو الحجة/1440 03:35 م

جميع الردود

• "logon display becomes trouble and after a while it is ok again"
    I fail to understand what you might mean by that.
    What happens when he presses "Ctrl + Alt + Del"?

When this is a computer with fingerprint reader / camera: might be:
    The Default Windows Logon Interface May Not Appear After Installing Third-Party Program
    19/ذو الحجة/1440 06:02 م
  • Hello Dirk,

As EckiS has already implied, any meaningful attempt to help is made difficult by your problem description - in particular that phrase "logon display becomes trouble and after a while it is ok again" - we probably need to know more about what happens here (nature of the "trouble", duration, etc.). Can you post any images of what you see, possibly augmenting your description in English with an equivalent in your own language (I am guessing German, Dutch or possibly French)?

Gary

19/ذو الحجة/1440 06:35 م
  • Hello,

See if FIX 1 mentioned here helps you:

https://www.kapilarya.com/fix-windows-10-shows-no-users-on-login-screen

Let me know if this helps!

Note: Included link in this reply refers to blog post by a trusted Microsoft MVP. 

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

20/ذو الحجة/1440 05:47 ص
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response

Here some pictures , the first when system starts …. the second when we press a key to see the login name appearing

Dirk

Dirk

20/ذو الحجة/1440 07:11 ص
  • Hi

Based on your question, we recommend the following ways:

Firstly, if the cause of your Windows login issue is a registry or driver configuration issue, then start Windows with the Last Known Good Configuration will return driver and registry settings to the state they were in the last time Windows started up and shut down properly, possibly returning your computer to working order.

Secondly, Repair your Windows installation. A common reason for Windows to fail between the login screen and the successful loading of the desktop is because one or more important Windows files are damaged or missing.

You can refer to the following link to repair your windows installation:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-do-i-automatically-repair-windows-problems-2624907

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Thirdly, Scan your computer for viruses, again from Safe Mode. A virus or other kind of malware might have caused a specific enough problem with a part of Windows to cause it to fail during login.

Fourthly, Clear the CMOS. Clearing the BIOS memory on your motherboard will return the BIOS settings to their factory default levels. Replace the CMOS battery if your computer is more than three years old or if it's been off for an extended amount of time.

Besides, If the above methods are invalid, we recommend that you reset your computer.

You can refer to the following link:

https://www.lifewire.com/what-does-reseat-mean-2625987

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. This is just for your convenience. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope these ways can help you.

Best regards

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

20/ذو الحجة/1440 07:30 ص
  • Hello Dirk,

This is not a display problem - it is just a new Windows 1903 feature: "acrylic blur effect on logon background image". It can be disabled via group policy.

The missing login dialog elements is a problem for which I don't have an immediate answer, but at least we can ignore the distraction of a potential display driver problem.

Gary

20/ذو الحجة/1440 07:58 ص
  • Hi,

Ok thanks , but the problem is well the missing login elements …

Regards

Dirk

20/ذو الحجة/1440 09:05 ص
  • Hello Dirk,

Can you connect to the problem PC over the network? For example, assuming the PC is named "PC", do commands like "net use \\PC /user:administrator password" and "dir \\PC\C$" work?

My initial suggestion would be to use Event Tracing for Windows (ETW) to try to see what is happening when the logon screen is displayed. logman.exe can create an ETW session remotely, so if the commands that I mentioned above work then there is a good chance that logman/ETW can be used.

The providers that I would suggest tracing (in a format suitable for use with logman's "-pf" parameter) are:

"Windows Winlogon Trace" 0xFFFFFFFF 255
    Microsoft-Windows-Winlogon
    Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Process 0x10
    # Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Registry

The # in front of Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Registry "comments out" (prevents activation of) that provider - it generates a high volume of events and it would probably be best to first establish whether the other providers alone can be used to narrow down the problem.

The command to start logman would be something like:

logman start dirk -ets -s PC -pf dirk.lst -nb 999 -o C:\dirk.etl

Once the trace is running, one should reproduce the problem and then stop the trace with the command "logman stop dirk -ets -s PC".

The resulting trace file is stored on the target system, so we will have to copy it with a command like "copy \\PC\C$\dirk.etl ."

In the commands above "dirk" is a placeholder for a name: the name of the session, the name of the file containing the list of providers (dirk.lst) and the name of the output file (dirk.etl).

The .etl file can be analysed with Microsoft Message Analyzer (MMA) and/or you could make the file available here (via a OneDrive, Google Drive, etc. link).

Gary

20/ذو الحجة/1440 09:38 ص
  • Hi,

I can connect to the workstation via safemode

Best regards

Dirk

20/ذو الحجة/1440 02:08 م
  • Hello Dirk,

What happens if you try to connect to the PC using "net use" commands when the PC is not in safe mode? Does this fail too (if so, with what error message) or do you not know an administrator username/password for the PC? Is the PC a member of a domain?

Gary

20/ذو الحجة/1440 02:24 م
  • Hi,

Thanks for your answer :  I will try tomorrow but the workstation is not in a domain but in a workgroup

Dirk

Dirk

20/ذو الحجة/1440 05:40 م
  • Hi,

I can connect to the PC using 'net use' when it is not in safe mode ( I can't connect through RDS … )

Dirk

Dirk

21/ذو الحجة/1440 04:52 ص
  • I work in a small PC repair shop and over the last few days we've had about 5 or 6 computers like this come in. So far they are ALL Dell...I don't know if this is a coincidence but we've been trying to figure out if some Dell software updated and is breaking the logon screen. System restore doesn't seem to help on any of them.

Rest assured that you are not alone and I believe this will become more well known soon as more and more people run into it.  I'll post more information if we learn anything on our end.

21/ذو الحجة/1440 06:21 م
  • Hello Dirk,

Sorry, it took me some time to work out how to make my proposal work in a non-domain environment; it is a little bit more difficult than I thought.

The input from Filibuster is timely - if your PC is a Dell the it may well be worth waiting for updates.

If you want to pursue your own investigations, then this would be my suggestion:

Boot into safe mode and examine the event logs for any potentially relevant information to the problem. If that does not help then make sure that the Firewall rule for "Performance Logs and Alerts (TCP-In)" Private and Public Profile is enabled:

Now boot back into normal mode. On another working PC, issue the command "runas /netonly /user:PC\administrator cmd" - this will then request the password. "PC" should be the name of the problem PC and "administrator" should be the name of an administrator account on the PC whose password you know. Now, in that "runas" window, issue the logman commands that I mentioned previously, retrieve the .etl file and share it here - absolutely no guarantee that this will help, but it is what I would do.

Gary

21/ذو الحجة/1440 06:55 م
  • Hi,

Thanks for your response … It is also a Dell computer

I will try to remove all Dell software on that computer to see it helps

Best regards

Dirk

22/ذو الحجة/1440 06:15 ص
  • Hi,

I tried to remove all what is concerning Dell … but not possible in safe mode, and stopping Dell services doesn't help too

Regards

Dirk

22/ذو الحجة/1440 07:12 ص
  • Hi,

I just call Dell support and they told me it was due to a problem in latest Windows version.

They have no solution and are waiting for updates from Microsoft

If you find  a solution before please let me know

Best regards

Dirk

Dirk

22/ذو الحجة/1440 01:54 م
  • We did have one computer that we were able to log into in normal mode via remote desktop and were able to remove all Dell programs, but this did not help with the problem either. VERY interesting that it seems to be related (somehow) to Dell.

Thanks for your information, Dirk.

22/ذو الحجة/1440 03:54 م
  • Hi,

I tried to login via remote too but didn't work. Meanwhile, I guess how updates will install on a workstation running only in safe mode ….

I think we will have to reinstall and hope it didn't happen again after next update

Dirk

Dirk

22/ذو الحجة/1440 03:59 م
  • Hi

Would you mind letting me know the update of the problem? If you need further assistance, feel free to let me know. I will be more than happy to be of assistance.

Best regards,

Kiki Shi

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

10/محرم/1441 08:49 ص