none
IP less DAG RRS feed

• السؤال

• Hi All ,

I have Exchange 2013 CU15 having DAG with IP Address configured , 

now I am extending DAG to Azure for DR Purpose , some body told me you require IP Less DAG 

how I can transition from  DAG to IP less DAG without any downtime?

Also Microsoft recommends to have IP Less DAG incase of DR on Azure ?

adnan abdul Salam InfoTech

09/جمادى الثانية/1439 10:07 ص

جميع الردود

• Hi All ,

I have Exchange 2013 CU15 having DAG with IP Address configured , 

now I am extending DAG to Azure for DR Purpose , some body told me you require IP Less DAG 

how I can transition from  DAG to IP less DAG without any downtime?

Also Microsoft recommends to have IP Less DAG incase of DR on Azure ?

You would have to build a new DAG, you cant "convert" it to an ip-less Dag.

Note the requirements for Exchange in Azure. Pretty expensive solution for DR.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/jj619301%28v=exchg.160%29.aspx

Deployment on Microsoft Azure virtual machines is supported if all storage volumes used for Exchange databases and database transaction logs (including transport databases) are configured for Azure Premium Storage.

09/جمادى الثانية/1439 01:22 م
    المشرف
  • Thanks 

Whats about ip less DAG recommended/require d for DR extension on azure ? Or we can have ip based DAG to extend it to azure ?

• تم التحرير بواسطة Adnan Abdul Salam 09/جمادى الثانية/1439 02:17 م
    09/جمادى الثانية/1439 02:17 م
  • Azure is 100% DHCP. Therefore, you need to use IPLess DAG in Azure, only option. That's the reason Windows Server 2012 and above allow an IPLess cluster, because of the Azure restriction on IP's. Don't forget, you'll also need a DC in the same AD site you put the Exchange servers in Azure. 

NOTICE: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

09/جمادى الثانية/1439 04:12 م
  • Hello Mike,

Enabling static ip on DHCP interface one NIC for production and another NIC for cluster can still do the trick or IPLess DAG is must on Azure ?

Thanks,

Yousef

Yousef Hanoun

09/جمادى الثانية/1439 05:25 م
  • Hi Yousef,

Cannot confirm if it is supported at this moment since there're no any official (or even third-party) docs state or guide this. It's recommended to use IP less DAG on Azure at present, but may not "MUST".

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة YousefHanoun 10/جمادى الثانية/1439 04:56 م
    10/جمادى الثانية/1439 09:59 ص
    المشرف
  • For the CNO object, in AD, it needs to be IPLess. An IPLess DAG is only referencing the DAG AD object, not each node in the cluster. You can still assign an IP address to the nodes, but no need for the DAG AD object. To set it, as the documentation says, use 255.255.255.255 that tells Exchange to create the CNO in AD. 

NOTICE: Posts are provided “AS IS” without warranty of any kind, either expressed or implied, including but not limited to the implied warranties of merchantability and/or fitness for a particular purpose.

11/جمادى الثانية/1439 12:47 ص
  • Hi Yousef,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they helped. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnsf@microsoft.com.

Click here to learn more. Visit the dedicated forum to share, explore and talk to experts about Microsoft Teams.

• تم الاقتراح كإجابة بواسطة Allen_WangJFModerator 20/جمادى الثانية/1439 02:20 ص
    17/جمادى الثانية/1439 09:25 ص
    المشرف
  • HI All, 

I have created the new DAG IP less and extended to Azure 

now i am in a process of replicating the DBs to azure MBX 

in the mean time some body from microsoft told me that Extending DAG to Azure is not supported ? is it correct 

also i want to make a recovery plan in azure for failover , can any body have script for it 

note: we are replicating CAS server using ASR and MBX server in up and running on azure Part of IP less DAG

load balancer is there but how can i add it recovery plan ?

20/جمادى الثانية/1439 11:22 ص
  • Fully supported! https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/mt733070(v=exchg.160).aspx

While that article mentions dev/test, the process is the same. You'll need a full writable DC in Azure, setup Exchange servers, spread DAG. Many customers do this. 

Why? The directive comes down from the top, move the entire data center to Azure. Customers still like maintaining full control of the entire stack of servers, but want to leverage cloud options.

You do need premium storage in Azure, or you're not supported, but the Exchange PG has fully endorsed Azure options. Now, many people will say, it'll be more expensive than O365, but ultimately, it's all choice. 

In fact, I've even seen customers place their Exchange hybrid servers in Azure, just to connect up to O365. There are lots of options available to companies. It's a very exciting time in IT. 

20/جمادى الثانية/1439 02:52 م
  • Hi Adnan,

I'm just writing to check how's everything going? If you have any questions or needed further help on this issue, please feel free to post back. If the issue has been resolved, please mark the helpful replies as answers, this will make answer searching in the forum easier and be beneficial to other community members as well.

Thanks for your understanding.

Best Regards,
    Niko Cheng

27/جمادى الثانية/1439 10:44 ص
    المشرف