none
Widows defender acts like its targeting copyrighted files RRS feed

• السؤال

• Windows defender deletes files which are a "tread" to you computer.
    I did some investigation and had this as result:
    I made a hard disk with the following files

• a virus I got in a download a while back (Trojan)
    • Old games I own a hard copy of and ripped to my PC as backup (mostly PC games 1990-2005)
    • Some Gameboy/ps2 disk files (for investigation purpose)

I copied al the files to my PC so hopefully defender would "protect" me.
    The virus was directly disarmed and placed in the Treads in defender, I could delete or restore that file.
    I got some more notifications from my defender and saw that most disk files where deleted, these files I could not restore without a Data-restore tool. Some of the .exe (or other launch files) got deleted as well, and also I could not restore them. They where damaged unlike the Virus witch still worked after restoring.

So it looks like:

• Windows defender does more than protecting.
    • Secretly deletes files as if they are bad and not displaying them in the quarantine of defender.
    • (And maybe even breaking the files so it can not be restored, not sure)

Microsoft has not the right to determine witch file you can/not have on your desktop.
    So, tell me why this happens. . .

16/صفر/1441 05:16 م

الإجابات

• Hi,

Microsoft recommended to developers that they digitally sign their program executables and installers.

Thus many of these detections of supposedly non-malicious software are likely for executables which aren't signed and so Defender has no way to verify either the developer or the integrity of the application.  If something within an unsigned application looks anything like either a malware signature or malicious behavior, this makes it highly likely that that this software might be tagged as malicious in such a case.

So if you want to stop defender delete some files, you can add these file in exclusions.

Go to Settings → Update & Security → Windows Security → Virus & threat protection → Manage settings → Exclusions.

Windows defender won’t scan items that you’ve excluded.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Benjamin Vit 17/صفر/1441 10:37 ص
    17/صفر/1441 10:29 ص

جميع الردود

• Hi,

Microsoft recommended to developers that they digitally sign their program executables and installers.

Thus many of these detections of supposedly non-malicious software are likely for executables which aren't signed and so Defender has no way to verify either the developer or the integrity of the application.  If something within an unsigned application looks anything like either a malware signature or malicious behavior, this makes it highly likely that that this software might be tagged as malicious in such a case.

So if you want to stop defender delete some files, you can add these file in exclusions.

Go to Settings → Update & Security → Windows Security → Virus & threat protection → Manage settings → Exclusions.

Windows defender won’t scan items that you’ve excluded.

Best regards.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

• تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Benjamin Vit 17/صفر/1441 10:37 ص
    17/صفر/1441 10:29 ص
  • Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.
    Except the part that I can recover a virus but not a deleted .exe?
    17/صفر/1441 10:39 ص