none
Windows Boot Manager | Status: 0xc0000221 RRS feed

• السؤال

• Hey, my name is Mannie, and I seem to be having some problems with installing Windows 7 (currently have Windows XP) via a USB flash drive. I should mention, that through all of this, my Windows XP installation still works perfectly fine. Whenever I boot into the USB, I see a loading bar at the bottom that says, with the text, "Windows is loading files..." above it. After that finishes, I am instantly presented with a screen that says, "Windows Boot Manager." Looking through, I see this:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.
        2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."
        3. Click "Repair your computer."

<There's some message here about contacting Microsoft or sysadmin if you don't have a disc>

File: \windows\System32\Drivers\Ntfs.sys
    Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

I have the option to press the "Enter" or "Esc" key, escape restarts the PC, and the return key takes me to another "Windows Boot Manager" screen, which allows me to select from two options, "Windows Setup [EMS Enabled]" and "Windows Memory Diagnostic." Choosing the first option just throws me back at the earlier screen with the "0xc0000221" error.

My problem is the absolute same as this post's (other than the error); I also wiped my HDD (using GParted), but I still couldn't install Windows 7 (I experienced the same error as shown above in this post). I tried to install Windows XP, and I got some errors, which I do not remember anymore; a different try later, I was able to install Windows XP, but when I tried to install Windows 7, I was presented with the same exact error.

None of the links listed on that page (or in the pages, listed inside of THOSE pages) have seemed to affected my problem. The "bcdedit" utility can't detect any OS's on my PC, and also can't find any "store" file; I have tried creating new ones, but to no avail. I also ran a full disk check using "chkdsk," that did nothing either.

It would be absolutely fabulous if somebody could help me do a clean, Windows 7 installation through all of this mess.
    • تم التحرير بواسطة Raevox 09/جمادى الثانية/1434 03:54 م
    09/جمادى الثانية/1434 03:50 م

الإجابات

• Alright, I am replying from a newly installed version of a Windows 8 Pro right now. I installed via a USB in UEFI mode. No errors from Windows Boot Manager, or anything of that sorts. Not sure what fixed this, but I suspect it's the fact that I'm using UEFI mode; all of the previous Windows installation attempts were through BIOS mode, but, I can't be certain anymore.

I'll still answer your question regarding my installation media, in case it's needed to help somebody else with Windows Boot Manager related issues. I first used a Windows 7 installation DVD (burned via Windows 7 ISO), got the same, Windows Boot Manager (WBM) error, then I tried the diskpart or command prompt method, where I manually formated the USB drive to fat32, then copied the installation files from the ISO to the USB, that didn't work either. Finally, I used Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) to create a bootable USB from the Windows 7 installation ISO, got the same results.

Now, about an hour ago, I used Rufus again to make a Windows 8 installation USB, and here I am.

I suppose I don't require assistance with this situation anymore, thanks for your help though.

• تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Raevox 11/جمادى الثانية/1434 11:57 م
    11/جمادى الثانية/1434 12:36 م

جميع الردود

• You cannot "upgrade" from Windows XP to Windows 7 - there is no upgrade path.

You must boot from the windows 7 DVD or USB flash drive and delete the Windows XP partition when the disk options are presented.

For detailed instructions read the information at some of the links found doing an internet search for "how to upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7http://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=how+to+upgrade+from+windows+XP+to+Windows+7&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&tbs=&as_filetype=&as_rights=

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

10/جمادى الثانية/1434 01:11 م
  • I never said anything about "upgrading" from XP to 7, in fact, I clearly stated that I want to perform a clean Windows 7 installation. I also mentioned that I'm booting from booting from a Windows 7 installation USB. I understand you are trying to help, but at the very least, read the original post before trying to "help" me. (If you read, you'll also learn that I don't get the option to format my partitions)

Quote:
    ...installing Windows 7 (currently have Windows XP) via a USB flash drive...Whenever I boot into the USB, I see a loading bar at the bottom that says, with the text, "Windows is loading files..." above it. After that finishes, I am instantly presented with a screen that says, "Windows Boot Manager."...would be absolutely fabulous if somebody could help me do a clean, Windows 7 installation through all of this mess.

11/جمادى الثانية/1434 12:29 ص
  • Okay, I apologize for not reading your post more carefully.

I suspect there is a problem with the USB flash drive files.  Something is wrong with the installation media.  It is starting to load and it then encounters an error in the Windows 7 installation files.

What procedure did you use to build you installation USB flash dive?

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”

11/جمادى الثانية/1434 11:04 ص
  • Alright, I am replying from a newly installed version of a Windows 8 Pro right now. I installed via a USB in UEFI mode. No errors from Windows Boot Manager, or anything of that sorts. Not sure what fixed this, but I suspect it's the fact that I'm using UEFI mode; all of the previous Windows installation attempts were through BIOS mode, but, I can't be certain anymore.

I'll still answer your question regarding my installation media, in case it's needed to help somebody else with Windows Boot Manager related issues. I first used a Windows 7 installation DVD (burned via Windows 7 ISO), got the same, Windows Boot Manager (WBM) error, then I tried the diskpart or command prompt method, where I manually formated the USB drive to fat32, then copied the installation files from the ISO to the USB, that didn't work either. Finally, I used Rufus (http://rufus.akeo.ie/) to create a bootable USB from the Windows 7 installation ISO, got the same results.

Now, about an hour ago, I used Rufus again to make a Windows 8 installation USB, and here I am.

I suppose I don't require assistance with this situation anymore, thanks for your help though.

• تم وضع علامة كإجابة بواسطة Raevox 11/جمادى الثانية/1434 11:57 م
    11/جمادى الثانية/1434 12:36 م
  • I have tried using Rufus to make a Windows 7 install USB flash drive and I was never successful with it.

I have never had a problem using the Microsoft USB/DVD Download Tool or creating one manually using Diskpart.

11/جمادى الثانية/1434 04:27 م
  • I have used Rufus to make bootable USBs on multiple occasions, including installer for Windows XP and some Linux distributions. Worked all of the times, except the one mentioned in my earlier post.
    11/جمادى الثانية/1434 11:57 م
  • I know this post is really old, but I'm pretty much stuck in the same hole that you were. I got this message when trying to boot from Windows Vista on my 10 year old laptop:

Windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:

1. Insert your Windows installation disc and restart your computer.

2. Choose your language settings, and then click "Next."

3. Click "Repair your computer."

If you do no have this disc, contact your system administrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.

File: \Windows\system32\drivers\Wdf01000.sys

Info: Windows failed to load because a critical system driver is missing, or corrupt.

I tried booting from the disc that has Vista on it, but it makes me do a complete fresh and clean installation. What Happened? If there's no setting to repair the computer, then what's the whole point with the Boot manager saying that I can repair the computer from the disc?! I really don't want to reinstall Vista just to fix this.

25/ذو الحجة/1440 06:47 م