none
Windows 10 Home to Pro RRS feed

• السؤال

• So i have a Dell PC that had windows 8 home on it. The code is embedded in the BIOS. I upgraded to Windows 7 Pro on this PC. When the free Windows 10 upgrade was available, i took advantage of that and what was upgraded was Windows PRO. Now i wiped and reinstalled Windows 10. Problem is, the winodws 10 install is using the BIOS code which is HOME!!! So the finished fresh install is windows 10 Home. I want Windows 10 Pro which is what i upgraded. How do i make either the Home install upgrade to Pro or the install NOT use the BIOS code which is Home?
    11/ذو القعدة/1437 08:38 م

الإجابات

• Windows 10 Multiple Edition does not prompt which version to install has a way to modify the install media to install Pro.

"

After doing additional research and reviewing several books on Windows 10, I have managed to find out what was causing my issue and I managed to solve the problem. Incase anyone else is having the same problem, this is what I did to solve my issue. The culprit of my problem stemmed from the fact that I have bought a brand new computer that utilized a UEFI firmware vice a BIOS. With that being said, the UEFI firmware has an embedded certificate with a product key to Windows 8.1 Home edition. Therefore, when ever I attempt to install Windows 8/8.1/10, the installation media retrieves the information in the UEFI and auto selects the edition of Windows X to install. It does this because it already knows that the system has a valid license for Windows and it will install the version of Windows edition that coincides what is stored in the UEFI. To bypass this UEFI check, I had to create a USB install media using the Windows 10 (Multiple Editions) iso. After that, on the USB install media, in the 'Sources' folder I created a text file named 'PID.txt' and added the product key in the format as shown below:

[PID]
    Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

I saved the file, rebooted the computer and boot to the USB drive, and everything else went smooth and I was able to install Windows 10 Pro with no problems." - BrilliantOne Saturday, November 28, 2015 4:05 AM

If it is already installed and you want to upgrade Clean install of Windows 10 Pro results in Windows 10 Home answer may help.

11/ذو القعدة/1437 09:02 م

جميع الردود

• Windows 10 Multiple Edition does not prompt which version to install has a way to modify the install media to install Pro.

"

After doing additional research and reviewing several books on Windows 10, I have managed to find out what was causing my issue and I managed to solve the problem. Incase anyone else is having the same problem, this is what I did to solve my issue. The culprit of my problem stemmed from the fact that I have bought a brand new computer that utilized a UEFI firmware vice a BIOS. With that being said, the UEFI firmware has an embedded certificate with a product key to Windows 8.1 Home edition. Therefore, when ever I attempt to install Windows 8/8.1/10, the installation media retrieves the information in the UEFI and auto selects the edition of Windows X to install. It does this because it already knows that the system has a valid license for Windows and it will install the version of Windows edition that coincides what is stored in the UEFI. To bypass this UEFI check, I had to create a USB install media using the Windows 10 (Multiple Editions) iso. After that, on the USB install media, in the 'Sources' folder I created a text file named 'PID.txt' and added the product key in the format as shown below:

[PID]
    Value=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

I saved the file, rebooted the computer and boot to the USB drive, and everything else went smooth and I was able to install Windows 10 Pro with no problems." - BrilliantOne Saturday, November 28, 2015 4:05 AM

If it is already installed and you want to upgrade Clean install of Windows 10 Pro results in Windows 10 Home answer may help.

11/ذو القعدة/1437 09:02 م
  • Hi,

How about the issue, is there anything to update?

Best regards

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help and unmark them if they provide no help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com

23/ذو القعدة/1437 07:10 ص
    المشرف
  • It may not matter if you have Windows 10 Pro or Windows 10 Home as Microsoft is removing the additional features that Pro had.  The anniversary "upgrade" removed GPO functions, the ability to customize boot and lock screens and installed crapware as well as ads.  Within a year or so Windows 10 Pro will go the way of MSDN with Visual Studio Pro -- to the graveyard. 

http://www.saberman.com

01/محرم/1438 02:13 ص
  • There is too much demand for and difference in revenue for Pro and Home to merge. So I think we will have the present versions for a good while. Home, Pro, Enterprise, and Student/Educational.

Rob Brown - Microsoft MVP - Windows and Devices for IT - Windows Insider MVP : Bicycle - Mark Twain said it right.

01/محرم/1438 04:02 ص
  • >There is too much demand for and difference in revenue for Pro and Home to merge.
    Microsoft is removing the features from Pro that make it worth the money. 

In fact, they have removed some features from Pro that are essential to ISVs and small businesses.

Over time there will be two versions of Windows -- Home and Enterprise.  Microsoft already eliminated the Pro version of MSDN with Visual Studio so ISVs are forced to pay for MSDN with Visual Studio Enterprise at twice the price. 

Eventually, Microsoft will have two versions of Windows -- one for the consumer -- Home --(including mobile and desktop) filled with ads and crapware and another -- Enterprise -- for business.

The only reason that Microsoft left the features in Student/Educational is that the schools would switch to Linux if Microsoft loaded their software with ads and crapware.

http://www.saberman.com

01/محرم/1438 07:09 ص