none
No L2 network connectivity on virtualized Win2016 RRS feed

• Dotaz

• Hello for all!

Virtual machine (hyper-v 2016) with windows server 2016 guest OS was created by cloning another VM (from scvmm 2019 console). After cloning on new vm doesn't work network - OS doesn't see any mac address.

What I already did (and it does not worked):

- recreate virtual NIC, VM (with the same vhdx)

- move VM to other host in hyper-v cluster

- change vlan,mac

Other VMs in that vlan and hpv cluster work good. 

BUT! When I add second NIC to that VM, it work good! And when i delete first NIC, the second NIC also losing network.

I think that may be due to cloning process (than i create new vm from scratch, there is no network problems with it).

Please, help!

pátek 10. dubna 2020 18:29

Všechny reakce

• Hi ,

>>I think that may be due to cloning process (than i create new vm from scratch, there is no network problems with it).

As you said, this problem is probably caused by cloning process. As clone will not remove machine specific settings such as activation ID and SID which will have a potential risk on system and also clone system is out of our support scope, we recommend to perform sysprep at first.

For your reference:

Sysprep (System Preparation) Overview

Best Regards,

Candy

Please remember to mark the replies as an answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com   

pondělí 13. dubna 2020 2:07
    Moderátor
  • No, unfortunately "the cloning theory" has not been confirmed. Now I have the same problems with other VM, which been created from scratch. 

As posible cause of that I'm considering usage of SET switch on hyper-v hosts. The cluster consist of two hpe dl360 servers with 4 embedded 1gb NIC and 4 external 1gb NIC. All 8 NIC combined into one SET vSwitch, and when I migrate vm from one host to another, the VM can lost network connectivity. Most often this happens when vm nic migrate from internal physical host's NIC to external and vise a versa

středa 15. dubna 2020 18:48