none
Problems with Windows 7 critical update KB915597 RRS feed

• Dotaz

• During the last month every time my computer (and my husband's) auto-installs Windows 7 critical update KB915597 our Outlook email and our internet browsers stop working.  We both have had to do system restores each time to correct the errors.  Last night I tried updating all important Windows updates to see if that was the problem.  When I restarted after the updates, KB915597 was also installed again.  My husband's computer automatically installed KP915597 again last night.   This morning both our computers worked fine for a few hours.   An hour ago we both had the same problem at the same time again and we had to do system restores to correct.  Is there a way to stop this critical update from installing?  Or is there some kind of fix for the problem?  Thanks for your help.
    čtvrtek 14. ledna 2016 18:25

Odpovědi

• Hi MaxAlexM,

Based on your description, I searched some information of this KB.

Since the update is about Windows Defender definition, it will not affect the operation system. Please refer to this link:

Description of Windows Defender definition updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/915597

I noticed that this update makes your outlook email and the internet browser stop working. I want to confirm whether you use browser to access email of outlook account or the Microsoft office outlook or Mail app, and what kind of internet browser you are using.

Please check if there is any other update installed at the same time which cause your issue, you can try to remove them one by one to check if your outlook or browser get back to work.

After determined that this update really cause your issue, I suppose that we  can try to hide  it by the following steps:

Navigate to Start Menu>Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update

Under the Windows Update display box, select the available updates, then in the opening dialog box, select the update which you want to hide, right-click it and choose “Hide update”.

Then, we can wait for further released package for defender definition.

Best Regards,

Tao

pondělí 18. ledna 2016 6:03
    Moderátor

Všechny reakce

• Hi MaxAlexM,

Based on your description, I searched some information of this KB.

Since the update is about Windows Defender definition, it will not affect the operation system. Please refer to this link:

Description of Windows Defender definition updates: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/915597

I noticed that this update makes your outlook email and the internet browser stop working. I want to confirm whether you use browser to access email of outlook account or the Microsoft office outlook or Mail app, and what kind of internet browser you are using.

Please check if there is any other update installed at the same time which cause your issue, you can try to remove them one by one to check if your outlook or browser get back to work.

After determined that this update really cause your issue, I suppose that we  can try to hide  it by the following steps:

Navigate to Start Menu>Control Panel>System and Security>Windows Update

Under the Windows Update display box, select the available updates, then in the opening dialog box, select the update which you want to hide, right-click it and choose “Hide update”.

Then, we can wait for further released package for defender definition.

Best Regards,

Tao

pondělí 18. ledna 2016 6:03
    Moderátor
  • It was definitely the update that caused the problem. I was able to hide it on both computers so it wouldn't continue to install which seemed to fix the problem. Thanks for your help.
    středa 20. ledna 2016 16:58
  • You are welcome, hope my solution will help you.
    • Navržen jako odpověď Dohvakin středa 30. března 2016 1:31
    • Zrušeno navržení jako odpověď Dohvakin středa 30. března 2016 1:33
    čtvrtek 21. ledna 2016 1:22
    Moderátor
  • i have the same issue, same kb doing the same problem - outlook and browsers are very slow/not responding  when opening!

got it in 5 computers, 3 of them i did system restore and toke out my ethernet cable than disable the defender service - and it's work fine now. 

2 of them failed to system restore, and i can't do anything to fix it.

one thing i've noticed that the problematic stations are trying to connect 10.40.101.47/48:1660 non-stop! (and i got no clue what is this ip that it's trying to talk with).

úterý 20. února 2018 14:26
  • I have found that on our 6 Computers, that every time we install the following three UPDATES we lose control of the Mouse & Keyboard (Windows 7). The UPDATES are "KB4486565, KB4487256 & KB915597". The ONLY WAY to regain control of the Computer is to do System Restore to previous Restore Point. Have as of now TRIED to Install them Automatic and Manual MANY TIMES, no go! We do not get any help from Windows Support or HP, not even a return email.
    I already VERIFIED my ACCOUNT, and still I am not able to post an Image on this Forum?
    neděle 3. března 2019 13:05
  • Hi,

I think this is one of the reasons why Windows 7 users are prompted to upgrade to Windows 10 ISO file released in recently to replace the Windows 10 version 1809. So, if you are unable to fix this error, you should consider upgrading to Windows 10.

pondělí 8. července 2019 8:02
  • After installing this update, I found that I couldn't log into the computer using Remote Desktop or access shares unless a login had already been done from a monitor physically attached to the system (it doesn't usually have one.) After this update, there appears to be no network connectivity before login. That's a dealbreaker for me.
    neděle 4. srpna 2019 22:27
  • I found that installing the next update reinstalled this update also. Further, the KB915597 update seems to be deliberately omitted from the list of installed updates so that it can't be uninstalled. All that can be done is to restore the system to its state before the update and then turn off all updates permanently. Thanks, Microsoft.
    pondělí 5. srpna 2019 5:34
  • "I think this is one of the reasons why Windows 7 users are prompted to upgrade to Windows 10."

Yeah, Windows 10 never has any update problems. Ubuntu would be a better choice.

• Upravený Loren Meck pondělí 5. srpna 2019 5:37
    pondělí 5. srpna 2019 5:37
  • This is a case of Microsoft trying to force users to upgrade to Windows 10 ! They tried first of all to disable the functionality of the Media player, now they are tampering with Windows Defender. They call it an update to the 'Security Intelligence Update'

Absolute rubbish ! After updating, my PC said 'updating your desktop', you know, the standard one that sets up all your icons, folders etc.

When I came back to use it although it had the correct video resolution, the desktop was back to a fresh install state, i.e. standard icons no Desktop background.. Nothing !!

As I do not use 'Windows Defender' as an antivirus, I will just refrain from installing the updates from now on !

I got over the problem by restoring to a previous update, 5 days earlier !!

Microsoft are becoming a pain in the arse with these sly little tricks. I have Windows 10 on my laptop, but am not keen on it and only keep it there to become familiar with it. I will NEVER upgrade my desktop PC to Windows 10

Bob Moore

sobota 9. listopadu 2019 23:09