none
Can not login locally to Server 2012 RRS feed

• Dotaz

• On a normal boot:

System POSTs successfully

Windows icon appears on screen, then screen goes black

After several seconds to a minute go by, the screen turns solid blue, kind of like a BSOD, but no text or logos are displayed on the screen. The mouse pointer is present and responds to moving the mouse, but the system doesn't respond to mouse clicks or keyboard input (including Control-ALT-Del).

Workstations on the domain can access the server normally. I can login to the server remotely via Remote Desktop.

sfc /scannow returns no errors.

When booting in Safe Mode, I am able to login locally like normal. But the problem returns when doing a normal boot.

This behavior occurred after the following Software Updates were installed:

• KB4514364
    • KB4514371
    • KB4516067
    • KB4512938
    • KB4486105
    • KB4514361

Any advice? My guess is one of these updates caused the error?

• Upravený carlwhy pátek 20. září 2019 18:58
    pátek 20. září 2019 17:30

Odpovědi

• OK. I found out the solution.

I'm an idiot.

Apparently, both an HDMI cable and a VGA cable were connected from the server to the monitor. The monitor source was set to PC-in (VGA). Unplugging the HDMI cable solved the problem.

Yesterday, I noticed that when moving the mouse pointer off the left side of the blank blue screen, I would have to drag my mouse a considerable distance to the right in order to make the pointer reappear. I suspected that Windows was treating my monitor as a secondary, extended monitor. At first, I thought that meant I needed to reinstall the video driver or change the display settings, but after reexamining the back of the computer, I noticed the HDMI cable. I guess I thought it was just a USB cable.

Thank you everyone, for trying to help me!

• Označen jako odpověď carlwhy středa 25. září 2019 1:03
    středa 25. září 2019 1:03

Všechny reakce

• Hi <g class="gr_ gr_11 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="11" id="11">Carlwhy</g>,

Could you please explain how you do those updates like via <g class="gr_ gr_12 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="12" id="12">sccm</g><g class="gr_ gr_15 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="15" id="15">,or</g> <g class="gr_ gr_16 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Style multiReplace" data-gr-id="16" id="16">Manually .</g> Before install this update are you checked any replaced <g class="gr_ gr_13 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="13" id="13">KB's</g> are released for the <g class="gr_ gr_14 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation multiReplace" data-gr-id="14" id="14">above.</g>

Please login with <g class="gr_ gr_8 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="8" id="8">safemode</g> or Safemode with command prompt and <g class="gr_ gr_9 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="9" id="9">montior</g> that screen. If there <g class="gr_ gr_19 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar multiReplace" data-gr-id="19" id="19">is</g> no issues are appeared or not restarted <g class="gr_ gr_10 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del multiReplace" data-gr-id="10" id="10">pleaes</g> dig that issue under the system tab in <g class="gr_ gr_18 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Grammar only-ins replaceWithoutSep" data-gr-id="18" id="18">event</g> viewer.
    • Upravený Bala.Krish pátek 20. září 2019 18:03
    pátek 20. září 2019 18:03
  • Hi Bala.Krish. Thanks for replying. I'm reposting your reply because it was not displaying properly (at least in my browser). Here is your message (I hope it worked):

Hi Carlwhy, Could you please explain how you do those updates like via sccm,or Manually . Before install this update are you checked any replaced KB's are released for the above. Please login with safemode or Safemode with command prompt and montior that screen. If there is no issues are appeared or not restarted pleaes dig that issue under the system tab in event viewer.

I have the server set up to install Microsoft Updates automatically. 

The blue screen that appears is not a BSOD (i.e. It did not "crash"). I can still access the server via Remote Desktop and the workstation computers on the network can still access the SQL database. I just can't log in to the server using the keyboard, mouse, and monitor that is physically connected to the server.

• Upravený carlwhy pátek 20. září 2019 18:56
    pátek 20. září 2019 18:54
  • Also try from a Safe Mode boot

and a clean boot

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

and lastly try creating a new user account and logon with new one in case of profile corruption.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

pátek 20. září 2019 19:02
  • Thank you Udara Kaushalya. I'll check the dump files when I return to the office next week.
    neděle 22. září 2019 1:04
  • Thank you Dave Patrick. I was booting into safe mode via msconfig via remote desktop because I didn't want to play the game of pressing F8 at boot. I'm hoping the "repair startup problems" utility will do the trick! I'll try that out at the office next week.

I've tried disabling all non-MS drivers without success. I'm pretty sure there is either a corrupted file or some sort of windows update incompatibility going on. I've used DISM.exe, sfc /scannow, and CHKDSK with no errors.

It seems unlikely that there is a user profile corruption since the problem occurs before I even get a chance to log in, but I'll try a new account if the other things don't work out.

neděle 22. září 2019 1:16
  • Startup repair is unlikely since what you describe is windows starting up. If a domain controller the much safer method is to build a new one.

I'd use dcdiag / repadmin tools to verify health correcting all errors found before starting. Then stand up the new one, patch it fully, license it, join existing domain, add active directory domain services, promote it also making it a GC (recommended), transfer FSMO roles over (optional), transfer pdc emulator role (optional), use dcdiag / repadmin tools to again verify health, when all is good you can decommission / demote old one.

Regards, Dave Patrick ....
    Microsoft Certified Professional
    Microsoft MVP [Windows Server] Datacenter Management

Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights.

neděle 22. září 2019 3:12
  • OK. I found out the solution.

I'm an idiot.

Apparently, both an HDMI cable and a VGA cable were connected from the server to the monitor. The monitor source was set to PC-in (VGA). Unplugging the HDMI cable solved the problem.

Yesterday, I noticed that when moving the mouse pointer off the left side of the blank blue screen, I would have to drag my mouse a considerable distance to the right in order to make the pointer reappear. I suspected that Windows was treating my monitor as a secondary, extended monitor. At first, I thought that meant I needed to reinstall the video driver or change the display settings, but after reexamining the back of the computer, I noticed the HDMI cable. I guess I thought it was just a USB cable.

Thank you everyone, for trying to help me!

• Označen jako odpověď carlwhy středa 25. září 2019 1:03
    středa 25. září 2019 1:03