none
Alt + Print Screen captures the whole screen instead of the active window RRS feed

• Dotaz

• Alt + Print Screen captures the whole screen instead of the active window.  The Alt key works normally in all other ways.  The Print Screen key acts normally in all other ways.  I do know how the print screen and alt + print screen works, so please don't explain its function; this is an actual software issue.  This is issue does not involve citrix or remote desktop or any other software.  I've searched every MS Knowledge base, forum, blog, site, help software, etc. and have found many people with similar problems, but no solutions.

How can I repair the Alt + Print Screen function?

Thank you,

Ryker Abel, MCSE

pondělí 14. května 2007 21:30

Všechny reakce

• Get Snag-it from Techsmith, probably the best utility package ever written.

pondělí 24. září 2007 18:36
  •  

Sorry, not an option.

I use snagit at home.  This issue is at a corporate customer.

středa 26. září 2007 21:20
  • Alt + PrtScr should work in Vista as well, it is not default behaviour if it does not.

Snipping Tool is the Vista built-in 'Snaggit-replacement'; so that might not be a solution, but can be a usefull workaround.

pátek 19. října 2007 8:16
  • Forget about using print screen, use the snip tool that came with Vista.  Put it on your quick launch area as a shortcut.  That way you can get to it quickly if you have a lot of windows open.  It will let you select and copy any part of the screen you want and save to a Word doc or other format.  It's just as good as Snag-it and it's already there. 

čtvrtek 29. listopadu 2007 16:24
  • Thank you. I was going crazy trying to use print scr key, but it never worked.

I did not even know this utility called Snipping Tool was included with Vista. They should have a simple list of all utilities that came with Vista. It would solve a lot of problems and also save time and enegy it takes to find an answer.

I was trying to print an About screen on Help and thanks to you, I now have it and can get my $20 rebate. The about screen was the way to prove that I had the actual software on my computer, because it was include with other software and therefore did not have a CD and of course, there are very few manuals around that you can photo copy.

Thank you again.

I now have a new toy to play with.

pátek 8. února 2008 0:50
  • I struggled with this same issue when using my old PS2 style keyboard and a KVM.  After replacing the PS2 keyboard with a USB Keyboard the Alt+Print Screen function works as it should.

úterý 18. března 2008 20:48
  • Hi Ryker - We have a similiar issue and found most of the time Alt+Shift+Print Scrn works - by the way I did name my son Ryker - if you ever want to let go of Ryker.com I would love to own it.  Best Wishes, Suzy

pondělí 22. září 2008 22:53
  • try..

CTRL+ALT+MINUS SIGN (-) symbol on the numeric keypad

neděle 6. června 2010 9:58
  • Hi Ryker

Alt + Prnt Scrn will capture the whole screen....

try FN + Alt + Prnt Scrn to capture the active window

:) :) :) :)

Lesego Maruping

pátek 15. října 2010 6:32
  • Hi,

in a laptop press alt + fn + prt
    in a desktop press ctrl + alt + stamps

středa 20. října 2010 19:23
  • Deleted
    pondělí 24. ledna 2011 17:58
  • Ryker,

Did you ever get an answer that worked? I have the same issue taking screen shots from some servers but not others that are more or less the same.

Regards,

Dave

Untill you have found a solution, how about a work-around.....
    maximize the window , then do the Alt + print screen.
    If it solves your problem, I did it. If it does not, my twin brother did it.
    úterý 25. ledna 2011 18:43
  • http://www.technospot.net/blogs/microsoft-remote-desktop-connection-keyboard-shortcut/

Microsoft Remote Desktop Connection Keyboard Shortcut

• CTRL + ALT + END : Opens the Microsoft Widnows NT security dialog box.
    • ALT + PAGEUP : Switch between programs left to right.
    • ALT + PAGEDOWN : Switch between programs right to left.
    • ALT + INSERT : Cycle through programs in most recently used order.
    • ALT + HOME : Display Start Menu.
    • CTRL + ALT + BREAK : Switch the client computer between a window and full screen.
    • ALT + DELETE : Displays the windows menu.
    • CTRL + ALT + Minus Sign (-) : Place a snapshot of the active window in the client the terminal server, same as PRINT SCREEN on a local computer.
    • CTRL + ALT + Plus Sign (+) : Place a snapshot of the entire window in the client the terminal server, same as PRINT SCREEN on a local computer.

Just use CTRL + ALT + Minus Sign (-) : Place a snapshot of the active window in the client the terminal server, same as PRINT SCREEN on a local computer.

Hope this will help.

Claudio

pátek 13. května 2011 8:45
  • 9 years later this helped me!!
    pondělí 24. června 2019 6:52