Editing within Component Services on Windows Svr 2008 R2 RRS feed

• Dotaz

• I am trying to resolve an issue on a Windows Server 2008 R2 machine the application-specific permission settings do not grant local activation permission for the COM Server application with CLSID - MOSS / SharePoint 2007 Server. I have seen this can be resolved by editing some security tab properties using Component Services, however on any of the 2008 R2 machines all the edit buttons are disabled under Component Services.
    I am trying to understand why they are disabled and how to enable them to edit the properties.
    Any help resolving this issue would be greatly appreciated.
    Thank you.
    čtvrtek 18. června 2009 15:45

Odpovědi

Všechny reakce

• hi thomas,

sorry for the delayed response, i see that your issue is related much with permissions for MOSS/ sharepoint server 2007, there is a dedicated forum to answer Sharepoint related issues.

Please navigate to below link
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/category/sharepoint

and if the enigneers feels that the issue is related to windows 2008 R2 , we are happy to assist your further.

sainath !analyze
    úterý 30. června 2009 18:19
    Moderátor
  • Why was this self-marked as the answer?  The issue here is with the IIS WAMREG admin Service within Component Services.  Is that really only for SharePoint?  This component has security settings for local/remote launch/activation/access/configuration permissions.  This ends up playing a part with SharePoint, especially when using Kerberos, but I did not think it was a SharePoint-only component.  When using W2K3, we are able to change these settings, but with W2K8R2 (RTM and RC), I cannot edit them even as a local administrator nor when opening Component Services with the Run As Administrator option.  It's happening to me on a machine where I'm testing SharePoint 2010, and the OP is having issues with it in relation to MOSS 2007.  I do not ever have this issue with MOSS 2007 on W2K3 and have not tried MOSS 2007 on W2K8, but it seems to me that it's a W2K8 or W2K8R2 issue. 

I _can_ make edits to some components but not all.  I see no rhyme or reason to this, and there is no higher level of access that I can have.  I've used the built-in Administrator account and other accounts that are local admin and domain admin (also SharePoint Farm Admin, but that should not be relevant).  There has to be something blocking access to this.

It is important to note that since I'm doing a single-server test farm for SP2010, my machine is a domain controller, which could have an affect.
    SharePoint Architect || My Blog
    pondělí 17. srpna 2009 4:10
  • Thomas,

Thanks to Wictor, we have the real answer:

http://www.wictorwilen.se/Post/Fix-the-SharePoint-DCOM-10016-error-on-Windows-Server-2008-R2.aspx
    úterý 18. srpna 2009 7:16
  •  Which tends to indicate that it was a Sharepoint issue.
    Bill
    úterý 18. srpna 2009 7:34
    Bill

The fact that it only happens on R2 (and W7) and not on any other operating system?  Mmmm, k.  Don't think I agree.  There are a bunch of other component services not related to SharePoint that are not accessible for the same reasons.  Did you read the blog post?  I don't think you would have come to that conclusion if you had.  Feel free to explain why you think it's specific to SharePoint and not R2...
    úterý 18. srpna 2009 13:59
  • This is issue is not SharePoint specific. It's related, but it could happen with many other services and applications relating to security sttings. This is a Windows 2008 R2 issue. I experienced the same thing after upgrading to R2.

Did you guys read his posts or just dimiss it because you saw the word SharePoint in it?
    úterý 18. srpna 2009 16:49
  • Anyway, glad to see a work around posted. Thanks Clayton.
    And, this perhaps could be applied to other services and applications if you know the identifier.
    Hopefully an easier solution will be forthcoming from MSFT.
    úterý 18. srpna 2009 17:02
  • You're welcome.  Wictor is to thank, but I figured I'd update this thread, since I had found it while trying search for an answer to this problem.
    úterý 18. srpna 2009 18:03
  • I totally agree with Clayton, this is not a SharePoint issue!
    If you read the post that Clayton linked to (and I wrote :-) you clearly sees that the default permissions for IIS WAMREG Admin service has changed between Server 2008 and Server 2008 R2. And it's the same in Windows 7. R2 and W7 shares the same core.
    /WW
    SharePoint Architect http://www.wictorwilen.se/
    středa 19. srpna 2009 7:00
    Bill

Your answer tends to indicate that you didn't actually read the post, nor have a grasp of what component services are utilized for, or have encountered this in Windows Server 2008 R2.

Thanks to Clayton/Wictor for the real answer.

středa 2. června 2010 5:24
  • This answer is still marked improperly.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    středa 2. června 2010 5:34
  • Hi Clayton,

I struggled with DComCnfg for 3 weeks trying to resolve component launching under 64 bit Windows 7 and 2008 R2.

Instead of using DComCnfg as supplied out of the box %windir%\system32\comexp.msc, you have to add the 32 bit switch.

Start -> Run -> %windir%\system32\comexp.msc /32

Doing so I was able to configure my components correctly.

And you are correct, many times the proposed answers are by those who have not reproduced the problem and verified their solution.  But hey, they get medals.

Hope this works for you.

See:  http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itprosecurity/thread/4f63ee11-e472-40f9-85db-a6b235d7579c

pátek 11. června 2010 17:29
  • Does anyone have the solution to the Component Services tool not allowing you to edit the settings? I have followed the instructions to reset the registry key ownership and permissions--and triple-checked it--and still no joy.

While it's nice tht MS is getting serious about proper security, it's really frustrating when they break things doing it.

čtvrtek 1. července 2010 18:55
  • Does anyone have the solution to the Component Services tool not allowing you to edit the settings? I have followed the instructions to reset the registry key ownership and permissions--and triple-checked it--and still no joy.

While it's nice tht MS is getting serious about proper security, it's really frustrating when they break things doing it.

Chris, this method worked for me each time.
    SharePoint Architect || Microsoft MVP || My Blog
    čtvrtek 1. července 2010 19:40