none
Issue Creating Computer Recovery Key RRS feed

• Dotaz

• I'm trying to create a USB Client Recovery Key and I'm getting the following error:

The bootable USB flash drive could not be created.  After you fix the issue, try again.

I've already downloaded several versions of the ADK for win10 (2 parts - adksetup and adkwinpesetup) then win8.1 (1 part - which was recommend as a possible workaround on other help sites).  After each install, I've done clean uninstalls and restarted etc. to make sure there's no cross contamination.  Anyways, no matter what I've done, I can't get the USB created. 

Note: After I installed the ADK for win10 I was able to get the Client Restore Service to work, but still cannot create the USB key.  At this point I have some very nice backups, but no way to do a bare-metal restore if something should happen.

Any suggestions/workarounds on this issue are appreciated.  

pátek 28. února 2020 6:32

Všechny reakce

• Hi,

Please download and install the Windows PE add-on for the ADK via below link on your Essentials server:
    https://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?linkid=2087112

once it has been installed successfully, open Essentials Dashboard > Devices > Computer Tasks > Client computer backup tasks, then click on the Client Restore Service tab and make sure that Client Restore Service is running.

Then, try to create a bootable USB flash drive (>= 1 GB) and check the result. 

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

pondělí 2. března 2020 3:33
    Moderátor
  • Hi,

How things are going there on this issue?

Please let me know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang    

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

středa 4. března 2020 5:20
    Moderátor
  • Hi,

Is there any update?

Please click “Mark as answer” if any of above reply is helpful. It would make this reply to the top and easier to be found for other people who has the similar problem.

Best Regards,
    Eve Wang

pátek 6. března 2020 3:05
    Moderátor
  • Hello,

I apologize for the late response.  I was finally able to give your solution a try.  Unfortunately, I had the same results, although it did appear to run a while (couple minutes) before giving me the same error.  Here are the steps I took so that you can see that I went overboard in ensuring I removed/reinstalled cleanly:

1) Logged onto Server and uninstalled all Windows PE addon(s).

2) Rebooted

3) Downloaded and installed the version in your link

4) Rebooted

5)  Opened Essentials Dashboard > Devices > Computer Tasks > Client computer backup tasks, then click on the Client Restore Service tab and make sure that Client Restore Service is running.  It ran for a couple of minutes and failed with the error described in my original post.

Note: Just to ensure it wasn't a USB issue, I tried it on a couple different USB sticks (one I had recently utilized to install another utility on it and it worked fine).

Since it appears that 'something' is not working as it's supposed to.  I have to ask if there is a method by which I could utilize to create the USB outside the 'automated' method?  I am actually a software developer and I am very comfortable following multiple steps/procedures to reach an end goal (as long as I know that those steps are).

I appreciate the help so far and any additional help I could get (from anyone) is MUCH appreciated!

pondělí 30. března 2020 4:38
  • Hello...

Still looking for any input anyone may be able to provide on this issue.  As stated above, if I knew exactly what needed to be incorporated/included, I would be fine doing a 'manual build' of the USB Flash Drive.  Does anyone have that information and/or can they provide me with a link to some tutorial to do the same?

Thanks in advance for any assistance.

středa 27. května 2020 21:16