none
disable "This file comes from another computer" RRS feed

• Frage

• Hi, on all my adobe forms when i click on the properties, I see the message
       "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer"
     ever since i started getting this message, adobe forms don't work anymore and throws an error that the document properties have changed. I searched for a solution for this, but found many for fixing on Vista enterprise, but i run a vista home basic version. What do i need to do to resovle this issue that i can start using adobe forms again.
     any solution is highly appreciated.
    Samstag, 10. Oktober 2009 11:23

Antworten

• I have found that using a Windows PowerShell command can help get rid of the block on existing files.  The group policy update can prevent it on future downloads.

Open PowerShell as an Admin.  This command will remove that attribute from files in the specified folder and will recurse all subfolders removing it from files found in those subfolders as well. 

Use the command below:

dir "folderpath" -Recurse | Unblock-File

example:  dir "E:\Data\Customer Service\Excel" -Recurse | Unblock-File

It worked for me on a lot of files that had been blocked after downloading from another server.  You may encounter errors if the path to the file is greater than 260 characters.

In my case, it was hampering a data migration to another system and I was seeing Access Denied errors on these files.  This helped resolve that.

Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 02:17

Alle Antworten

• Right click on the adobe file and choose "properties" then when the properties dialog comes up, on the "general" tab, at the bottom is a "unblock" button, click it. also, if this is an ongoing problem, you might benifit from this thread
    Sonntag, 11. Oktober 2009 00:58
  • and if you want to get rid of this permently then folllow this 

1. gpedit.msc
    2. User Configuration > Administrative Templates > Windows Components > Attachment Manager
    3. Enable: Do not preserve zone information in file attachments

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Bats-007 Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2012 22:08
    Freitag, 19. August 2011 06:17
  • I'm running into the same problem and I tried the gpedit suggestion, but it didn't work.  The problem still exists even after a system reboot.
    Donnerstag, 7. Juni 2012 18:45
  • Thx...U solved my problem... :-))

Sonntag, 23. Dezember 2012 22:26

Hi running the Group Policy Editor only works for future downloads and will not change or unblock the previous saved files. To Unblock this old files you can try doing this:

1. Download streams.exe and install it.
    2. Go to Run and Open CMD
    3. From the CMD Prompt where you can see C:\Documents and Settings\myUser> input the pathway to the "streams" utilty OR for a shortcut just simply drag the streams.exe into the cmd prompt after the username and it will be added already to the prompt with the designated pathway.
    4. Then add -s -d [file, folder or directory] (without the bracket and pathway included) Or just drag the file again to the cmd prompt.
    -s    Recurse subdirectories.
    -d    Delete streams.

It gives you the command:
    C:\Documents and Settings\myUser>[streams.exe utility pathway] -s -d "File Name or Folder"
    Example:
    C:\Documents and Settings\myUser>C:streams.exe -s -d "C:\Users\User Id\Desktop\Example Folder"

After my windows auto-update, i was left with this big issue. This gives me the solution and it works well for me. (",) I hope this could help. Good luck!

Samstag, 15. Juni 2013 19:33
  • None of these recommendations are working for me.  I've tried everything I can think of, and every solution I can find on the internet regarding this useless bullshit "security feature", and nothing will allow me to install the application I want.

Everyone working for Microsoft security should be fired, and never allowed anywhere near a computer again.  All they've managed to do over the past couple of Windows releases is make it even more impossible to get any real work done with applications on the desktop.

I am NOT going to "run everything in the cloud".  I am NOT going to limit myself to only performing tasks and running applications inside my brain-dead web browser.  Microsoft really, truely, SERIOUSLY needs to get rid of all of these idiots that keep making it harder and harder to use my computer, and they need to undo all of their "security fixes" so that all of us can STOP WASTING TIME trying to get our jobs done.

Jerry H.

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Swennienl Mittwoch, 2. Juli 2014 12:14
    • Nicht als Antwort vorgeschlagen Swennienl Mittwoch, 2. Juli 2014 12:14
    Freitag, 12. Juli 2013 16:34
  • Could you describe your problem in detail? I can see you're frustrated, but someone might be able to help you out :) I have a feeling that your issue is a little bit different from the one solved in this thread.

What are you trying to do? Run an installation?

Donnerstag, 12. September 2013 20:46
  • Describe the problem I am having in Detail. OK.

IE10 will not download a file. END. Error given is, "bla bla bla file could not be downloaded."

Wow...that tells me a lot??

I have to agree with others here. I have also encountered this same issue today. Cannot even download a friggin PDF. Absolutely ridiculous. Stop with all this security crap, because all it does is slow down my workforce while they all try and figure out whats going on. We as users do not write this software, MS does. So why is it we the users have to jump through a zillion hoops to make your crap work. You (MS) should be doing this. 

I used Chrome and guess what....it just works. Safari...just works......firefox../.just works.....MS IE whatever version never works right

The ONLY reason I would still need IE, is if I need to get to some MS site where once again, MS has created the Monopoly situation where I can ONLY use IE to get to these sites. Utterly bogus. No wonder everyone is beginning to hate you.

Another item is your new Compatibility view. Another nightmare to deal with. Managing my domain through various web interfaces, and I am always having to switch between modes depending on the application. Another huge waste of time.

Think I'll be going the way of Russia, and completely remove any and all Windows systems from our environment forever. 

MS HAS BECOME MY BIGGEST TIME WASTER AS I CONTINUALLY HAVE TO TROUBLESHOOT CRAP LIKE THIS.

Freitag, 11. April 2014 18:51
  •  
    Hello Admin,

First of all, Thanks for expounding such a common topic. I read the entire article and followed the above described steps for a few images. As a result, I was able to move my those images without any error. But, the woes was still remain and it was that I had hundreds of images to move into my new laptop.

Since the above method was quite helpful for a limited files, it is hard to enforce same techniques for moving bulk data without getting errors. Indeed, most of the users will put off this because there is an alternative method available (SysTools UnBlocker).

I got acquainted with this tool when I was looking for an alternative. It is free, reliable and works on every type of file format rather than dealing with specific ones. Means, just parse your file or folder (contains the files) from this software and remove the pitfall: "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."

Get if from here: http://www.systoolsgroup.com/unblocker/

Thanks & Regards
    Kelvin Howard

Mittwoch, 29. April 2015 08:28
  • Thank you man!

You rock, solved my problem!

Donnerstag, 3. Dezember 2015 13:17
  • Hate to tell you, Kelvin, but when I tried to download Unblocker, it just did nothing. It said the Download was Locked.
    Mittwoch, 20. Januar 2016 22:37
  • I have got the same issue since I've reinstalled my Vista on my laptop.

I don't like to curse, because 'what goes around comes around' but...

Who was that retarded f*** who came up with this feature for Windows?

I'm telling this after two weeks of sweating with this bs.

Now I can't even install my updates for Windows, because "they came from a another computer..."

How the hell I can remove this feature from Vista once and for all???

Samstag, 20. Februar 2016 16:35
  • Thanks, it worked for me too. After this I ran gpupdate /force command.

DBA

Dienstag, 21. Juni 2016 06:19
  •  
    alternative method available (SysTools UnBlocker).

Sadly that completly LOCKS when encounters ie Cyrylic filenames

To the point that server needed to be hard powered off!

Definitely use with care!

Samstag, 25. Juni 2016 10:20
  • In my case this was happening to Word and Excel documents, and the fix was to untick all of the "Protected View" tickboxes in the file : options : trust center.
    Montag, 5. September 2016 03:23
  • Thank you Zeeshan.Butt .

* Solved: any file downloaded by  "Google Chrome 55.0.2883.75" marked as unprotected!

• Bearbeitet M.Kamyar Sonntag, 4. Dezember 2016 23:05
    Sonntag, 4. Dezember 2016 23:03
  • when I type the "gpedit.msc then click okay arning message pops up saying windows cannot find gpedit.msc so now how do I beat this? Thanks!

Dienstag, 24. Januar 2017 21:24
  •  

Since the above method was quite helpful for a limited files, it is hard to enforce same techniques for moving bulk data without getting errors. Indeed, most of the users will put off this because there is an alternative method available (SysTools UnBlocker).

I got acquainted with this tool when I was looking for an alternative. It is free, reliable and works on every type of file format rather than dealing with specific ones. Means, just parse your file or folder (contains the files) from this software and remove the pitfall: "This file came from another computer and might be blocked to help protect this computer."

Get if from here: http://www.systoolsgroup.com/unblocker/

Thanks & Regards
    Kelvin Howard

This program just deleted a few thousand files in an attempt to remove their block.
    Windows 7 x64, files located on a network drive.

Would not recommend this software to anyone.

Dienstag, 7. Februar 2017 13:32
  • Yes, it worked for me like a charm. Gpedit did not help at all.
    Freitag, 17. März 2017 15:40
  • Thank you, this fixed my users' problem!

Cheers

Dienstag, 25. April 2017 16:26
  • This is the solution for office 2016

The solution here is (for OFFICE 2016) OPEN UP WORD, FILE > OPTIONS > TRUST CENTER. Then click the TRUST CENTER button > Protected View, and UNTICK ALL 3 BOXES.

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Pete Kosek Donnerstag, 21. September 2017 17:54
    Mittwoch, 3. Mai 2017 22:52
  • I'm using XP Pro SP3 - still :-)

Using gpedit.msc I can get as far as "Windows Components" but I can not see "Attachment Manager".

Dienstag, 16. Mai 2017 00:03
  • In my case this was happening to Word and Excel documents, and the fix was to untick all of the "Protected View" tickboxes in the file : options : trust center.
    I have thousands of users on our network. I can imagine this will occur again. This did the trick when all else failed including gpedit, fileblocker, etc. THANK YOU!
    Dienstag, 15. August 2017 22:20
  • @jhewett I know. It's awful, isn't it? Very short-term thinking... (though they probably believe the opposite!) one of the founding ideas of the Internet was to allow multiple distributed copies of everything to ensure that if one copy was lost, there would be a copy somewhere else (i.e. in a time of war if one location is attacked), whereas Microsoft (and Google and Facebook and Apple) or The Evil4 as they will no doubt be referred to in future times (if we have any future!) seem determined to instead put all of our eggs in one basket... theirs! I'm the same as you, my computer is a tool for my use. It isn't a shop, it isn't a convenient method to brainwash me into wasting even more of the precious resources on the planet, by spending the precious money that I earnt using my precious time on this planet. 

Came across this quote recently that seems fitting regards the direction the human race is being led in by these power hungry, greed-motivated corporations.

"When you dig yourself into a hole so deep that you can't get out of it, that's called a grave" - Wez Hind

Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018 03:07
  • I have found that using a Windows PowerShell command can help get rid of the block on existing files.  The group policy update can prevent it on future downloads.

Open PowerShell as an Admin.  This command will remove that attribute from files in the specified folder and will recurse all subfolders removing it from files found in those subfolders as well. 

Use the command below:

dir "folderpath" -Recurse | Unblock-File

example:  dir "E:\Data\Customer Service\Excel" -Recurse | Unblock-File

It worked for me on a lot of files that had been blocked after downloading from another server.  You may encounter errors if the path to the file is greater than 260 characters.

In my case, it was hampering a data migration to another system and I was seeing Access Denied errors on these files.  This helped resolve that.

Donnerstag, 17. Mai 2018 02:17
  • This PowerShell did the trick, thanks
    Mittwoch, 12. September 2018 22:37
  • Thumbs UP, Saved my day and reputation both :) Bundle of thanks. 
    Dienstag, 2. Juli 2019 05:41