none
Mail App activesync support RRS feed

• Allgemeine Diskussion

• Hi, can we have some official statement on the built-in Mail App support?

I am using RTM x64 Enterprise.

I am able to connect to one of my Exchange 2010 sp2 setup without any problem. We are using Public CA cert.

I am not able to connect to my office Exchange 2010 sp2 setup. It is using Internal CA cert with client certificate authentication. I have imported the CA cert to the trusted CA store and import my private cert into my personal store. But adding the server manually result in a generic error "Unable to connect, ensure the information is correct".

I am very sure that the information is correct as I can connect from a Windows 7.5 phone with the same cert imported.

So does the mail app support client cert auth?

Is there some sort of log we can use for troubleshooting?

Cheers

Donnerstag, 16. August 2012 06:17

Alle Antworten

I am able to connect to one of my Exchange 2010 sp2 setup without any problem. We are using Public CA cert.

I am not able to connect to my office Exchange 2010 sp2 setup. It is using Internal CA cert with client certificate authentication. I have imported the CA cert to the trusted CA store and import my private cert into my personal store. But adding the server manually result in a generic error "Unable to connect, ensure the information is correct".

I am very sure that the information is correct as I can connect from a Windows 7.5 phone with the same cert imported.

Cheers

I would like to get an answer on this question also.  Is client cert auth supported in windows 8/rt mail app?
    Mittwoch, 17. Oktober 2012 04:10

Cheers

I would like to get an answer on this question also.  Is client cert auth supported in windows 8/rt mail app?
    bump
    Sonntag, 28. Oktober 2012 03:25
  • Hi Lee,

The Mail app is consumer-oriented and thus our ability to test and support a multitude of LOB scenarios is limited.

Mail Certificate Support

• Microsoft has validated the Windows 8 in-box modern Mail application against mail servers that use public certificate authorities. (CA's) Manually importing certificates into a client's certificate store may provide a working solution, but Microsoft does not provide support services for this scenario.
    • Certificate-based authentication, where the client presents a certificate instead of user credentials, has not yet been validated by Microsoft for use with the Windows 8 in-box modern Mail application.

It sounds like you may already know what you're doing with certificates, but the following blog was posted a couple of days ago with some a additional information that you may find helpful if you choose to pursue troubleshooting.

Supporting Windows 8 Mail in your organization
    http://blogs.technet.com/b/exchange/archive/2012/11/26/supporting-windows-8-mail-in-your-organization.aspx

As an example, you might try installing a certificate for the device instead of the current user.

Please keep in mind that Microsoft offers Outlook as an enterprise mail solution for Windows 8 and OWA is available for both Windows 8 and Windows 8 RT clients.  As development of modern applications picks up, you may additionally find 3rd party enterprise mail solutions available in the store.

Although this may not have been the answer you were hoping for, I hope it does provide some clarity and transparency with regard to the Mail application and certificates.

Kind regards,

-AaronMax

Mittwoch, 28. November 2012 18:21
  • Hi Aaron, thanks for the reply.

"The Mail app is consumer-oriented and thus our ability to test and support a multitude of LOB scenarios is limited."

Ok, so the built-in Mail app for iOS and Android is not consumer-oreiented? It is a real irony and joke when Microsoft couldn't even properly support their own ActiveSync protocol on their own mail client application when the competition can do it. On Surface RT, there simply is no alternative right now, do not tell me to use OWA, it is not the same. The days when Microsoft device/client that has the best ActiveSync support is long gone.

I might no be a developer and there might be some technical challenges implementing certficate based authentication for the "Mordern" Mail client, but if your competition can implement it (on the protocol Microsoft invented no less) and Microsoft cannot, it paints a very negative picture on Microsoft's commitment on "Mordern" (god I hate this term) Windows apps.

Sorry for the rant, please do not take it personally. But please take this as a strong protest from a long time Microsoft and Exchange supporter back to your "Mordern" mail app program manager.

Cheers

Donnerstag, 29. November 2012 01:59
  • Hello!

I totally agree with Lee c y.

Lack of certificate-based authentication support makes all Windows 8 devices not suitable for corporate use at all!

We use plenty of IOS and Android devices through Juniper, but 0 Windows 8 devices.

No mail, no gain :(

Donnerstag, 13. Dezember 2012 10:41
  • BTW Note one of the new things in Outlook 2013 is built-in support for Exchange activesync. I.e. Outlook 2013 will now be able to connect seamlessly with i.e. Hotmail, Outlook.com (which also uses Exchange activesync under the hoods)
    Samstag, 15. Dezember 2012 03:04
  • I have the same issue and error message with Windows RT / Mail trying to connect to Exchange 2010. How do I investigate further?

• Bearbeitet rt3465345 Montag, 31. Dezember 2012 21:25
    Montag, 31. Dezember 2012 21:22
  • I'm afraid I need to agree with Lee c y here.  C'mon MS.  This is such an out of the box standard vanilla request these days.  You really can't fix this soon enough!!

JC

• Bearbeitet jimbo_aus Freitag, 1. Februar 2013 03:38
    Freitag, 1. Februar 2013 03:38
  • MS, please implement this feature as soon as possible. Its kinda hard to work with corporate mail now.
    • Bearbeitet Eugenov Dienstag, 19. Februar 2013 17:10
    Dienstag, 19. Februar 2013 17:09
  • This is a farce, I need to use my Linux-phone and forward the messages into my windows 8, because windows' own mail client can't understand MAIL FOR EXCHANGE.

Anyone else see the irony on this?

Sonntag, 22. September 2013 09:51
  • Windows 8.1 is RTM, and it gave me renew hope that the new mail app support certificate based Activesync authentication, but alas, it still errors out.

Even the excellent (Android version) Touchdown mail app for metro does not support cert auth. Which leads me to suspect that this is an API issue.

Microsoft, please get your act together, before you become irrelevant in the tech/mobile industry.

Freitag, 27. September 2013 13:24
  • Sorry but Outlook ActiveSync is not the same thing, it is meant for outlook.com (or maybe O365) only. MS is not supporting this connection mechanism to on-prem Exchange, even if it works.

And one more thing, Outlook ActiveSync does not support cert based auth.

Freitag, 27. September 2013 13:28