none
Printing Issue when switching between printers RRS feed

• Frage

• Hiault: Any A4 size print jobs sent to A4 printers (tried different A4 printers) are being scaled-down to label size.

Fault Description: Lexmark A4 printer (Secure_Queue) is set as a default printer. It's already selected when the Print dialog appears, below. Selecting Zebra ZD410 and then re-selecting Lexmark A4 printer (secure_queue) and clicking the Print button would retain label margins/size instead of printing A4 size dimensions. We have checked printing preferences and they appear to be correct. We have not changed any printing preferences. We have tested on different computers and with different A4 printer.

Application: Any application that launches this print dialog box, e.g. Notepad, Notepad ++. Printing from within Microsoft Word, Excel and Acrobat Reader (the applications we tested) is as it should be.

Reproducing the fault in Notepad:
    1. Open Notepad and type a few lines of text.
    2. Select File>Print to display the above print dialog box.
    3. A4 printer is already selected by default.
    4. Select Zebra ZD410 Label Printer.
    5. Select A4 printer.
    6. Click the Print button.

Result: The print is scaled-down to label size. The paper size does not change to the width of A4 paper size. The paper size height does change to the height of an A4 paper, however, occasionally the paper size height remains the height of a label height. 

The following steps produce a normal print without any issues.
    1. Open Notepad and type a few lines of text.
    2. Select File>Print to display the above print dialog box.
    3. A4 printer is already selected by default.
    4. Click the Print button.

There are no issues when printing from within Word, Excel or Acrobat Reader that use a different printing feature.

The printer properties of both Lexmark A4 printer and Zebra label printer are correct and unchanged throughout the printing process.

Has anyone experienced this issue? 

Can we please have some assistance.

Thanks

Mittwoch, 7. August 2019 17:19

Alle Antworten

• HI
    1 which method do this user's client computer(win7,win10) connect to printer ?(by using usb cable ,by using wired/wireless  network ,by using shared printer server )
    2 if you use shared printer server ,did you install "print and document service" role on this printer server then use printer policy to deploy printer to the client computer ?
    3 on your "Reproducing the fault in Notepad:" step 5 ,can you check if the preferences is belong to A4 printer ? is this issue caused by the preferences setting GUI not be changed to preferences setting of A4 printer ?
    can you enter winver in command prompt on both win10 computer and printer server ,then look the os version and os version number ?[for example windows 10  enterprise 1809 (os build 17763.316)]

5 when the problem happen ,can you write the time first and look if there is related log on client computer ?

event viewer\windows logs\

application

security

system

when the problem happened ,was there any event log in below location?
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\printservice
    event viewer\windows logs\applications and services logs\microsoft\windows\termininalservice-printers

Please check the symptom in a clean boot environment on problematical computer if it is possible. Ensure the latest update has been installed to avoid known issue
    https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Donnerstag, 8. August 2019 09:04
  • Thanks for your help.

1. The A4 printer is departmental network printer. The Zebra label printer is connected via USB cable. I have tested this on a few computers but have the same issue.

2. We initially deployed the Zebra printer via our printer server. However, since we encountered the faul, all testing has been done on my local Windows 7 computer. I was able to reproduce the fault on other Windows 7 computers.

3. The printing preferences all appear to be correct. There's nothing changed. A4 size paper is selected.

4. It's Windows 7. Version 6.1 (Build 7601: Service Pack 1)

5. There's no useful logs within the event viewer.

6. Yes did check on a new clean system, with A4 printer and Zebra printer only. The fault reproduced.

Thanks again for your assistance.

• Bearbeitet ONCRTS Donnerstag, 8. August 2019 13:39
    Donnerstag, 8. August 2019 13:04
  • Microsoft/Windows has a utility called: Print Migrator download & run the small utility,it gives a lot of info on 1 or more printers running at same time.Also,in cmd type: services.msc in msc,scroll to Print Spooler/double click/set to Auto start if not set at this time,plus edit other tabs/exit/maybe scroll thru services,ant set at Disable needs attention.Set one to Manual start,at least lets the OS run it if needed.Plus,Lexmark printers have Firmware updates...
    Freitag, 9. August 2019 01:19
  • Thanks Andrew

The Print Spooler service is running and is set to automatic.

The Lexmark engineer came on site to investigate and he did not find any issues with Lexmark or Zebra printer. I have tried 3 different printers, one of which was an A3 printer.

The problem is always when printing via the print dialog box, image in my first post above.

thanks

Freitag, 9. August 2019 12:39
  • Hi

The fault can be reproduced by using an A3 and an A4 printers and printing from Notepad.

The A4 printer is set as the default printer.

When printing from Notepad, the dialog box appears with the A4 printer selected as it's set as default printer.
    Within the print dialog box, select A3 printer and then set the paper size to A3 in printer preferences.
    Re-select A4 printer. Within A4 printer preferences, the paper size changes changes from A4 to A3.

The printout is A3 size and not A4.

This is again pointing to the Windows printing interface, see screen capture in my first post, above.

Any thoughts.

Thanks

Freitag, 9. August 2019 14:10
  • HI
    7 Are both A3 and A4 printer Lexmark brand? do you have HP printer or other brand A4 printer ?Is the same issue happen on other brand A4 printer ?
    8 "Within the print dialog box, select A3 printer and then set the paper size to A3 in printer preferences.
    Re-select A4 printer. Within A4 printer preferences, the paper size changes changes from A4 to A3.
    The printout is A3 size and not A4."
    if you clean install a new win7 and leave it in workgroup then only install Lexmark A4 and Lexmark A3 ,will the same problem happen on this new win7 ? it will narrow down your issue to Lexmark printer side and win7 system side .

Best Regards
    Andy YOU
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Montag, 19. August 2019 03:48
  • Thanks Andy

Apologies for late reply.

A3 and A4 printers are different brands. I have also tested it with our all-in-one printer and the same issue. We had an engineer from all-in-one printer supplier, who also concluded that it's a Windows issue. He said that he has seen this issue before and it was a Windows Setting but can't remember the settings. :(

I was able to reproduce the fault on a clean install with local A4 printer attached to a PC.

Thanks for you help.

Mittwoch, 28. August 2019 13:45
  • HI
    9 what's system lanuage on win7 did you use now ?
    10 what's printer driver of A3 and A4 printer do you use ?(use A3 and A4 netork printer for testing)
    11 did your issue happen on both A3 and A4 network printer ?
    12 what's your win7 edition ? is it win7 pro or win7 enterprise ?
    i can only simulate network printer A3 and A4 in my lab environment,can you give the detail model of network printer A3 and A4 ?
    13 if it is known issue ,i think we can check update and install full update patches on win7 test computer and check if the  problem persist ?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Montag, 2. September 2019 15:07
  • HI
    Is there any progress on your question?

Best Regards
    Andy YOU

Donnerstag, 5. September 2019 15:06
  • Sorry about the late reply.

There's been no progress at all.

We are escalating the fault to our clinical system providers. We use a number of clinical systems as recommended by them including the Zebra printers.

We exhausted all our resources and our investigation findings keep on pointing to Windows Print module (one that is launched from within Notepad).

Thanks for your help.

I'll update this thread if I find the solution.

Freitag, 13. September 2019 12:57