none
Diskeeper compatible with Windows 7 (x64)?

Frage

• Hello, I was wondering if anyone is using Diskeeper Pro Premier 2009 with Windows 7 x64? Installation went smoothly, however the service is stopped. When trying to re-start Diskeeper in Services (note that startup is set to automatic), initially it does show "started" but shortly thereafter it shuts itself off. It worked perfectly on Vista SP2 (32-bit). I sent a technical request to Diskeeper a few days ago, but have not received a reply yet and so was wondering if anyone here might know the possible cause.

Thanks for any feedback or guidance that can be provided.

Luc

Dienstag, 3. November 2009 14:38

Antworten

• Hi Anuj:

As mentioned in my previous message, I decided to do another clean install of Windows 7. This was last Friday and -- keeping my fingers crossed -- Diskeeper has been fully functioning since.

So the good news is that Diskeeper seems to be fully functioning again (and Windows 7 seems more responsive, although I have had a few Windows Explorer freezes). The bad news is that I have not been able to replicate the problem, neither with the new nor with the old network adapter. For all I can tell, therefore, it was a problem with the network adapter driver, causing Diskeeper to stop functioning at certain events such as plugging in the adapter (or, possibly, when the internet connection was interrupted and then automatically reconnected), which got solved by the reinstall of the OS (uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, by the way, did not help).

If I learn anything new on this topic, I will post it here. For now, thank you for your advice and assistance.

Luc
    Dienstag, 17. November 2009 08:30

Alle Antworten

• Hi Luc ,

Could not get a confirmation on the compatiblity status as of yet - Its in progress.
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/compatibility/windows-7/en-us/Details.aspx?type=Software&p=Diskeeper%202009%20Pro%20Premier&v=Diskeeper%
    20Corporation&uid=13&pf=0&pi=2&s=Diskeeper%20Pro%20Premier%202009&os=32-bit

Try to run the application as administrator.

Also could you check if any events are logged in for disk keeper and post that information here.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen alfredraguero14 Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2011 03:26
    Mittwoch, 4. November 2009 05:21
  • Hello Ananda:

Thank you for your quick reply.

Please note that I have in the meantime also received a request from Diskeeper to send them my system information, which was done earlier today.

Inasmuch as Diskeeper is compatible with Vista (both 32 and 64-bit versions -- following the link to "Try the Vista compatible version" on your link above), I tried installing the program again in Vista SP2 compatibility mode. To no avail, unfortunately. Running as administrator didn't help either.

The event log shows the following description (EventID 100):

Faulting application name: DkService.exe, version: 13.0.844.0, time stamp: 0x49e8ef69
    Faulting module name: MJSCR.dll, version: 2.0.93.0, time stamp: 0x4928f5b5
    Exception code: 0xc0000005
    Fault offset: 0x000000000000b690
    Faulting process id: 0x72c
    Faulting application start time: 0x01ca5d99031b108f
    Faulting application path: C:\Program Files\Diskeeper Corporation\Diskeeper\DkService.exe
    Faulting module path: C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\DISKEE~1\MJS\MJSCR.dll
    Report Id: 3a6f0332-c98e-11de-8325-0022156861fe

Oddly enough, I have Diskeeper running on a netbook with Windows 7 (32-bit, however) without any problem, so I suspect it's some setting that automatically stops the Diskeeper service. I just don't know what sort of setting to look for.

Any help or guidance as to where I might look, is greatly appreciated.

Regards.

Luc
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen alfredraguero14 Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2011 03:27
    Mittwoch, 4. November 2009 22:55
  • Exception code: 0xc0000005 - This error is caused by MJSCR.dll - Which essentially means that a module of Disk Keeper was trying to access something and got denied during the process.

If it is working on Windows 7 (32 bit) it should work on Vista 32 bit as well. Btw are there any Antivirus / Firewall running on your system try to run disk keeper after disabling them.

C# Fan! ananda84(at)gmail(dot)com
    Donnerstag, 5. November 2009 06:27
  • Hi Luc

Thanks for the post. It's recommended to use Defragmantation option by right clicking on the drive, click properties, click Tools, there you can find the option. Using this option all the fragments will be removed from your drive and it solves the purpose of diskeeper. Further I am working on diskeeper light to catch the issue.

Regards
    Anuj
    Donnerstag, 5. November 2009 07:53
  • Thank you Ananda. Prior to posting on this forum, I had already checked settings in Kaspersky Internet Security (2010), but all three entries related to Diskeeper are included with the "Trusted" applications (i.e., Diskeeper 2009 Pro Premier for Windows, Diskeeper Application Launcher, and Diskeeper Services).

It looks like it's not a Windows 7 compatibility issue as such, but some setting that automatically switches the Diskeeper services off. Just don't know anymore where to look, or to look what for really.

Regards.

Luc
    Donnerstag, 5. November 2009 17:24
  • Thank you for your feedback Anuj.

Actually, I was trying to avoid the manual process of defragmenting, for which reason I purchased Diskeeper a few years ago. That being said, with Diskeeper still installed, when trying to use defragmentation as you suggest, I get the very same error message as when trying to open Diskeeper directly ("Diskeeper failed to connect to the service. The service may have stopped. See the Windows event log for more details.").

Regards.

Luc
    Donnerstag, 5. November 2009 17:31
  • Hi Luc

Thanks for the update. I installed "Diskeeper Pro Premium 2009" on Windows 7x64 and it's working fine, for confurmation I restarted the system to check if it starts running by itself at the startup, well the processes in the Task Manager shows DKService.exe working fine.

While installing Diskeeper, I came across a page of the installation wizard, that says, " Setup has detected that you are running a version of Windows that may require you to make changes to the Windows Firewall before Diskeeper can operate effectively with Diskeeper Administrator.....". As no other firewall was installed, I continued and it was installed and worked properly.

Finally, your problem may be due the other firewalls installed as they may have blocked the access. You kindly disable all the firewalls and reinstall Diskeeper and then check, if it's working or not.

For furter information, check the link : http://www.diskeeper.com/products/firewall.aspx

Hope this resolves the issue, otherwise check with https://www.diskeeper.com/profile/Account.aspx?a=td&Id and share details here too.

Regards
    Anuj

NOTE - Disclaimer

The links in this message may lead to third-party Web sites. Microsoft provides third-party resources to help you find customer service and/or technical support resources. Information at these sites may change without notice. Microsoft is not responsible for the content at any third-party Web sites and does not guarantee the accuracy of third-party information.

Montag, 9. November 2009 06:37
  • Hello Anuj:

Thank you for your feedback and suggestions.

This is an interim update only, as the issue itself has not (yet, hopefully) been resolved. Rather, the tests that I ran yesterday leave me puzzled even more. In summary, for all I have been able to find out, the Diskeeper service being stopped automatically is not related to either the Kaspersky firewall (note that I’m using KIS 2010 v. 9.0.0.736, which is compatible with Windows 7) nor the Windows Firewall. Instead, it looks like it’s a problem connected to the use of a USB network adapter. Strange as it may seem (and reason for which I’m so puzzled, because I cannot possibly see the connection between a network adapter and defragmentation software), the network adapter is the only common element or constant.

The particular type of network adapter is a D-Link AirPlus G DWL-G122 (which, per the Windows 7 Compatibility Center, is compatible with both 32 and 64-bit versions; I also verified in Device Manager that the driver was up-to-date).

For what it’s worth, below is a brief account of several tests that I ran yesterday and explanation as to I have arrived at the above (preliminary) conclusion:

After following your advice to disable all firewalls and reinstall Diskeeper (and, out of precaution, disconnecting from the Internet by unplugging the network adapter), Diskeeper did run (!). From that I concluded that indeed it was a firewall problem, or at least with a firewall setting that didn’t get set properly during setup. Until I plugged in the network adapter again and Diskeeper stopped working immediately.

I repeated disconnecting and connecting to the Internet a couple of times (again, by pulling out the network adapter), each time with the same result.

The only possible reason I could see was that Diskeeper somehow got a signal from the outside to stop working (read: from a Diskeeper server, possibly because of a problem with the activation license). After reporting the problem to Diskeeper, they then sent me a new download link and new license key.

After re-installing Diskeeper and running the same procedures as above, I ran into the same problem again but this time even after disconnecting from the Internet. The only difference was that, this time, I had disconnected from the Internet via the Network and Sharing Center instead of by unplugging the network adapter.

Repeating these steps a few times and connecting/disconnecting by either unplugging the adapter or through the Network and Sharing Center, the results were the same each time. Only when unplugging the device did Diskeeper keep running.

It therefore looks like it’s either a hardware problem or, maybe, a software conflict between the adapter's driver and Diskeeper. I just don’t know.

What I will do next is to first do yet another clean install of Windows 7. Surprisingly and unexpectedly, Windows 7 on my desktop isn’t nearly as responsive as reported by numerous users (nor by my 5-month long experience with the RC version, for that matter – on both a netbook and a desktop (with, granted, only a limited number of applications)), so maybe something has gone wrong during the installation process of Windows 7 itself. For instance, just running the tests above, I had to log off or reboot at least 6 or 7 times because the PC just froze (no other applications were open besides Outlook and Internet Explorer). With an Intel quad-core 2.83 and 4GB of RAM I should be safe hardware wise and, when the system becomes unresponsive, Performance in Task Manager (which may take several minutes to open, if it does) typically shows a very low CPU Usage (1–3%), memory usage about 1.5GB; and no processes that stick out by Memory Usage. A system check (sfc/scannow) didn’t report any problem either.

Unfortunately, I’m not sufficiently versed in computer sciences to find out what else I could check for a possible cause of the PC’s freezing and so will try by installing the OS again (and use another network adapter). Hopefully this will resolve the issue of the Diskeeper service as well.

It will take me a few days before I can get to that, but will post an update here if I get everything working again.

In any case, thank you very much for all your assistance.

Regards.

Luc

Donnerstag, 12. November 2009 09:25
  • Hi Luc

Thanks for sharing the information.

Regards
    Anuj
    Freitag, 13. November 2009 05:56
  • Hi Anuj:

As mentioned in my previous message, I decided to do another clean install of Windows 7. This was last Friday and -- keeping my fingers crossed -- Diskeeper has been fully functioning since.

So the good news is that Diskeeper seems to be fully functioning again (and Windows 7 seems more responsive, although I have had a few Windows Explorer freezes). The bad news is that I have not been able to replicate the problem, neither with the new nor with the old network adapter. For all I can tell, therefore, it was a problem with the network adapter driver, causing Diskeeper to stop functioning at certain events such as plugging in the adapter (or, possibly, when the internet connection was interrupted and then automatically reconnected), which got solved by the reinstall of the OS (uninstalling and reinstalling the driver, by the way, did not help).

If I learn anything new on this topic, I will post it here. For now, thank you for your advice and assistance.

Luc
    Dienstag, 17. November 2009 08:30
  • Hi Luc,

Thanks again for your effort and sharing the information.  :)

Regards
    Anuj
    Freitag, 20. November 2009 06:05
  • thanks I guess do not down load?
    Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2011 03:28
  • thank you I guess do not down load?
    Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2011 03:30
  • thanks I guess do not down load?
    Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2011 03:31
  • You don't need such snakeoil tools under Windows 7. Use the included defrag tool.

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code" CLIP- Stellvertreter http://www.winvistaside.de/
    Mittwoch, 16. Februar 2011 14:13