none
"An App Default Was Reset" error newly sysprep Windows 10 LTSC 2019 Enterprise image completely breaking image. RRS feed

• Frage

• This is driving me up the wall. I don't know what's wrong. No matter what I do, I get the error "An App Default Was Reset - An app caused a problem with the default app setting for '.x' files so it was reset to 'x software'."

Why is this happening? I am building a VM with LTSC 2019 Enterprise to deploy on my campus. Issue only arises on domain/network profiles, local accounts don't seem to be affected.

When the error occurs, it more or less bricks the OS. Internet Explorer no longer works or even opens, the search function no longer works, most apps within settings no longer open. I cannot run an sfc /scannow function in CMD (it says the service couldn't be started). In fact, most programs and apps no longer work. Often times, I can't even get CMD to elevate. It shows that it is elevated but then nothing will run in elevation, CMD just tells me that I must be elevated to do this task.

I'm at a total loss here. Absolutely nothing found from Google has been helpful. I really don't want to use standard Windows 10 with how frequently Windows updates breaks the OS and how bloated the software is with excess garbage.

LTSB 2016 is no longer a viable solution as it is not compatible with new Dell laptops, otherwise I would just stick with that. I've been using it for 3ish years.

I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to creating images/sysprep etc. You'll most likely have to talk to me as if I'm a child and I'll do my best respond with accurate and detailed answers.

Please help. Thank you.

Mittwoch, 16. Oktober 2019 21:18

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

The app defaults are reset by Windows 10 if it finds that an incompatible third-party program making changes to file associations directly, rather than directing users to the Default Apps window.

Please refer to the link below:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/45792-fix-app-default-reset-error-windows-10-a.html

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Hope above information can help you.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Donnerstag, 17. Oktober 2019 02:02
  • Hello.

So, that's what I thought too. So I created a brand new VM, installed the .iso, then before doing anything else, I sysprep (both with a usual answerfile and even a blank one, just in case it was a setting I was making), and the problem still persisted.

Again, this happens ONLY only network users. Local users do not have this problem.

edit: also, I had already tried that "fix". I've ran it on the image, syspreped and applied, issue still persisted. Ran the fix on a computer that was already having the issue, still persisted. I even deleted the network users/profiles after running the fix, issue still persisted.
    • Bearbeitet TippsAttack Donnerstag, 17. Oktober 2019 14:02
    Donnerstag, 17. Oktober 2019 14:00
  • Hi,

That's strange happens only network users.

Maybe try the solution the following link mentioned:

https://www.winhelponline.com/blog/windows-10-resetting-file-associations/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Best Regards,

Freana

If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Freitag, 18. Oktober 2019 08:32
  • Hi,

Just checking in to see if the information provided was helpful. Please let us know if you would like further assistance.

Best Regards,

Farena

Montag, 21. Oktober 2019 06:38
  • That solution does'nt work on the 1903 version.  Any ideas on fixing this issue with the 1903 version?  I am having this problem on my reference image after running sysprep.  This only started happening after installing the cumulative updates for September.  

Note: when I created the reference image, I ran the Powershell command: get-appxpackage -allusers|remove-appxpackage, and this removes most of the apps.  I also use a group policy to disable the app store, and disable any updates from the app store.

After I run sysprep after the September updates I start getting the default app resetting message about 18 times.  The first message I receive is for ms-xbl-3d8b930f, which I believe refers to xbox live.  For some reason xbox is being installed when sysprep is run.  Xbox was not on the reference image.  

Lastly I also use the  dism /online /Export-DefaultAppAssociations:C:\default\default.xml that is used with a group policy to refer to the default.xml for the default app settings.

Dienstag, 22. Oktober 2019 18:53
  • I am creating an image as well. I took it back to basics:

test 1. Windows 10 1903 LTSC, no apps installed, no OS updates, unattended.xml that just sets the computer name and admin/password.

Result : When the sysprep completed, everything behaves as normal. Success

Test 2. Windows 10 1903 LTSC, no apps installed, with OS updates applied, unattended.xml that just sets the computer name and admin/password.

Result : When the sysprep completed, everything behaves as normal. Success

Test 3. Windows 10 1903 LTSC, no apps installed, with OS updates applied. Included "Copyprofile" to the unattended.xml, which also sets the computer name and admin/password.

Results : Post sysprep, first autologin, the file Associations all reset. Failed

Eventlog:    SetDefault-Info: Association=https, ProgId=IE.HTTPS, U=S-1-5-21-2772914167-1314923040-1412238795-500, T=2019:10:04:31:18:56, H=RepslEqtnwQ=</Data>

I am going to test if this occurs on an unpatched OS.

No 3rd party app is causing this.

Donnerstag, 31. Oktober 2019 19:15
  • Are you using "Copyprofile" in your unattend.xml?
    Donnerstag, 31. Oktober 2019 19:16
  • Yes.  I use copy profile.  I also set the admin password in the xml file.  I don't set the computer name.
    Donnerstag, 31. Oktober 2019 19:39
  • I have created my image with the below components:

1. Windows 10 1809 LTSC

2. Apps: Office 2016 x86, Firefox, Google Chrome, Adobe Acrobat Reader DC, Vmware Tools

3. Minor OS customizations

4. Applied all patches for OS and Office etc. Restarted

5. Uninstalled patch kb4519338

6. My unattend.xml performs, copyprofile, sets computername, sets admin/password, region, organization

7. Run sysprep.exe /oobe /generalize /shutdown /unattend:{path to xml - C:\File\Path\To\unattend.xml}

This created a clean image with no "App resets" on first login. I then ran windows update to apply reapply kb4519338.

Its not the cleanest solution. But applying one update is not that much of a time increase. In testing tomorrow, I'll compare the below key on a sysprep'd computer without app reset problems and one with the reset problems. It could be interesting. 

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\{.extension}\UserChoice

Anyway, I hope this helps. It what worked for me.

Donnerstag, 31. Oktober 2019 23:38
  • What does {.extension} represent in  HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\{.extension}\UserChoice
    Freitag, 1. November 2019 15:32
  • This key is where the file extension associations are kept on a per user basis.

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\

The "{.extension}" represents the extension. ie for a pdf file it would be :

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\FileExts\.pdf\UserChoice

Apparantly Microsoft made a change(a while ago) that require any file association changes to be made via API. You used to be able to modify the registry keys. Now Windows 10 detect these changes as "corrupt" and initiates  reset of the extension.(from what I read)

Unfortunately in my additional testing, I applied patch kb4519338 on a Windows 10 1809 LTSC with no applications, after a clean completed sysprep that contained a "Copyprofile". Logon a new account and during profile setup, "App Reset" popups occur.

I think its a MS Bug with the October patch.

I have seen post of people using defprof. It might be a solution. If I find any other solutions, I'll let you know. If you find one, it would be good if you could post.

Thanks

Freitag, 1. November 2019 21:44
  • I have read many articles online regarding this issue. A common thread is that the file extensions are reset due to a 3rd party application writing to the registry instead of using the API.

https://devblogs.microsoft.com/oldnewthing/?p=96175

However I have a process monitor capture of a clean Windows 10 1809 LTSC computer(ie no 3rd Party apps). With all current patches installed and it continually resets file extensions on first logons. The process that is doing this is explorer.exe, launched by winlogon.exe.  All processes are Microsoft Processes.

I am looking for a solution that can either be applied to the "Default" profile, HKLM or within a Mandatory profile.

It would be great if someone within Microsoft could investigate this issue. I have only experienced it since the October updates.

Dienstag, 5. November 2019 21:56
  • I've been seeing very similar issues, if not the exact same issue. I had an MDT task sequence, including loading default app associations via the DISM command, perfected in early September but when running the same task sequence a week ago, I encountered lots of app reset notification issues. At first it was Edge and Photos being reset for .png and IE.HTTP file associations, but then I tried the LTSC version and encountered different issues. 

I even went through the insanity of trying to determine which part of a defaultappassociations xml file was causing the issues to occur. Built in Windows app associations were fine, if I only changed those specific file extensions, without adding anymore, it would be okay. I eventually discovered that even though the message was "User choice has been reset to prog id PBrush for .png", the issue has literally nothing to do with .png files or the paint application. 

For example, this default app association XML file works okay (I think...I tried at least 30 different versions):

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <DefaultAssociations>
      <Association Identifier=".3g2" ProgId="VLC.3g2" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gp" ProgId="VLC.3gp" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gp2" ProgId="VLC.3gp2" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gpp" ProgId="VLC.3gpp" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".aac" ProgId="VLC.aac" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".adt" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.ADTS" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".adts" ProgId="VLC.adts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".avi" ProgId="VLC.avi" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".bmp" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.BMP" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".dib" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.DIB" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".emf" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.EMF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".flac" ProgId="VLC.flac" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".gif" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.GIF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".htm" ProgId="ChromeHTML" ApplicationName="Google Chrome" />
      <Association Identifier=".html" ProgId="ChromeHTML" ApplicationName="Google Chrome" />
      <Association Identifier=".ico" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.ICO" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".jfif" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.JFIF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpe" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.JPE" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpeg" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.JPEG" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpg" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.JPG" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".m2t" ProgId="VLC.m2t" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".m2ts" ProgId="VLC.m2ts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".m3u" ProgId="VLC.m3u" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".m4a" ProgId="VLC.m4a" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".m4v" ProgId="VLC.m4v" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mkv" ProgId="VLC.mkv" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mod" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.MPEG" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mov" ProgId="VLC.mov" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".MP2" ProgId="VLC.mp2" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp3" ProgId="VLC.mp3" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp4" ProgId="VLC.mp4" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp4v" ProgId="VLC.mp4v" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpa" ProgId="VLC.mpa" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".MPE" ProgId="VLC.mpe" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpeg" ProgId="VLC.mpeg" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpg" ProgId="VLC.mpg" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpv2" ProgId="VLC.mpv2" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mts" ProgId="VLC.mts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".pcx" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PCX" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".pgm" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PGM" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".png" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PNG" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".ppm" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PPM" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".psd" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PSD" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".tif" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.TIF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".tiff" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.TIFF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".TS" ProgId="VLC.ts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".TTS" ProgId="VLC.tts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".txt" ProgId="txtfile" ApplicationName="Notepad" />
      <Association Identifier=".url" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.URL" ApplicationName="Internet Browser" />
      <Association Identifier=".wav" ProgId="VLC.wav" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".webp" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.WEBP" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".website" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.WEBSITE" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
      <Association Identifier=".wm" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".wma" ProgId="VLC.wma" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmf" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.WMF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmv" ProgId="VLC.wmv" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".WPL" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WPL" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".xbm" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.XBM" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".xpm" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.XPM" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier="http" ProgId="ChromeHTML" ApplicationName="Google Chrome" />
      <Association Identifier="https" ProgId="ChromeHTML" ApplicationName="Google Chrome" />
    </DefaultAssociations>

However, this one does not:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <DefaultAssociations>
      <Association Identifier=".3g2" ProgId="VLC.3g2" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gp" ProgId="VLC.3gp" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gp2" ProgId="VLC.3gp2" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".3gpp" ProgId="VLC.3gpp" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".aac" ProgId="VLC.aac" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".adt" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.ADTS" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".adts" ProgId="VLC.adts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".avi" ProgId="VLC.avi" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".bmp" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.BMP" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".cda" ProgId="VLC.cda" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".dib" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.DIB" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".emf" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.EMF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".flac" ProgId="VLC.flac" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".gif" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.GIF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".htm" ProgId="ChromeHTML" ApplicationName="Google Chrome" />
      <Association Identifier=".html" ProgId="ChromeHTML" ApplicationName="Google Chrome" />
      <Association Identifier=".ico" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.ICO" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".jfif" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.JFIF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpe" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.JPE" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpeg" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.JPEG" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".jpg" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.JPG" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".m2t" ProgId="VLC.m2t" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".m2ts" ProgId="VLC.m2ts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".m3u" ProgId="VLC.m3u" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".m4a" ProgId="VLC.m4a" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".m4v" ProgId="VLC.m4v" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mka" ProgId="VLC.mka" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mkv" ProgId="VLC.mkv" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mod" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.MPEG" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mov" ProgId="VLC.mov" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".MP2" ProgId="VLC.mp2" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp3" ProgId="VLC.mp3" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp4" ProgId="VLC.mp4" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mp4v" ProgId="VLC.mp4v" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpa" ProgId="VLC.mpa" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".MPE" ProgId="VLC.mpe" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpeg" ProgId="VLC.mpeg" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpg" ProgId="VLC.mpg" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mpv2" ProgId="VLC.mpv2" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".mts" ProgId="VLC.mts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".pcx" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PCX" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".pgm" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PGM" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".png" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PNG" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".ppm" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PPM" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".psd" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.PSD" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".tif" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.TIF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".tiff" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.TIFF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".TS" ProgId="VLC.ts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".TTS" ProgId="VLC.tts" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".txt" ProgId="txtfile" ApplicationName="Notepad" />
      <Association Identifier=".url" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.URL" ApplicationName="Internet Browser" />
      <Association Identifier=".wav" ProgId="VLC.wav" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".webp" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.WEBP" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".website" ProgId="IE.AssocFile.WEBSITE" ApplicationName="Internet Explorer" />
      <Association Identifier=".wm" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.ASF" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".wma" ProgId="VLC.wma" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmf" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.WMF" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".wmv" ProgId="VLC.wmv" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
      <Association Identifier=".WPL" ProgId="WMP11.AssocFile.WPL" ApplicationName="Windows Media Player" />
      <Association Identifier=".xbm" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.XBM" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier=".xpm" ProgId="ImageGlass.AssocFile.XPM" ApplicationName="ImageGlass" />
      <Association Identifier="http" ProgId="ChromeHTML" ApplicationName="Google Chrome" />
      <Association Identifier="https" ProgId="ChromeHTML" ApplicationName="Google Chrome" />
    </DefaultAssociations>

The only difference between the two files? These two lines added to the non-working version:

<Association Identifier=".cda" ProgId="VLC.cda" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />
    <Association Identifier=".mka" ProgId="VLC.mka" ApplicationName="VLC media player" />

That is the difference between a config that doesn't immediately give the user a popup that says the default program for .png files was reset to paint, and one that does. It is complete insanity.

The even crazier part? The popup notifications are a lie. It doesn't actual reset anything! It continues to work fine with the correctly set default app associations!

By the way, this is all with a plain 1809 LTSC install with no updates. As soon as you install the latest updates, there is nothing you can do to avoid the app reset notification regarding your browser being reset to Internet Explorer (which is also a lie).

So I finally resorted to using the SetUserFTA tool available elsewhere on the internet that I setup to run on the User's first login and set their defaults then. That actually worked quite well...until I installed updates from the stock 1809 LTSC install. At which point as soon as you download a random .jpg, .mp3, .mp4, etc. You'll immediately get a popup about an app reset for that specific file extension...and it's still a lie since nothing has actually been reset.

Another interesting thing, when I'm creating a bunch of users to test the new user popup experience, sometimes I'll create a user and everything will be fine with no popups. Then I'll create another user and they'll get multiple popups without me changing a single thing. There is no rhyme or reason to this and it is complete madness.

One of the things that irks me the most: the logs are lying to you!

The event log might say "User choice has been reset to prog id PBrush for .png" but in reality, nothing was actually reset and the issue has nothing to do with Paint or .png file. And the popup notifications that says "An App caused a problem" Give me a break! What app? What problem? What exactly did this app do? I'm sorry that trying to import an default-appassociations XML exported file from this exact same Windows version with the exact same applications is causing issues for you!

This has been the last straw for me. I was alright trying to keep up with Microsoft's once-every-six-month new OS versions before this but now I'm done. I'm deploying LTSC everywhere and I'll reevaluate in 2021 or whenever a new LTSC version comes out. 

I'm now trying to decide if I need to either find a way to block all Windows notifications by default or ship our MDT task sequence with August updates before it seems like everything disintegrated.

Mittwoch, 6. November 2019 01:36
  • Has anyone had any success? I am still having this issue. Sometimes, the computer gets to unresponsive that I can't do basic things. Internet Explorer won't open, the search function won't work, sfc /scannow errors out and won't run. 

How is this a "stable" build? I don't understand what is going on. This is crazy.

I seriously need to find a solution because LTSB 2016 is no longer support on new Laptop parts.

Donnerstag, 7. November 2019 20:23
  • Unfortunately, the link didn't help. Within the article itself it has a "Update" 1809 and later, this fix doesn't work." Which applies to this LTSC.

Are there different versions of LTSC? If I don't have to use 1809/1903, that would be FANTASTIC.

Donnerstag, 7. November 2019 20:26
  • Any luck? what did you find? Have you found a solution?
    Donnerstag, 7. November 2019 20:27
  • I am, yes, but I also tested an Unattend.xml that didn't have it, problem persisted.
    Donnerstag, 7. November 2019 20:27
  • For what its worth, I was able to obtain a Windows 10 Enterprise ISO with all the updates through October.  I installed, removed all the apps using powershell command get-appxpackage -allusers|remove-appxpackage.  I paused updates so n new updates could install, and I disabled the store using gpedit.msc.

I ran sysprep, with the copy profile option, and at first logon I get the app reset message.  Note: the only thing installed was Windows 10.  No other apps were installed.

Freitag, 8. November 2019 17:12
  • Man, that is crazy broken!

Is there ANYONE who uses LTSC 2019 (1803/1809/1903) joined to a domain in an Enterprise environment and it work as well as LTSB?

Freitag, 8. November 2019 17:30
  • I think this happens when a local profile is present and the computer is sysprepped?
    Freitag, 8. November 2019 19:51
  • The only local profile that is enabled is the built-in administrator account.  The account I am force to created during the Windows 10 installation is disabled.
    Freitag, 8. November 2019 21:35
  • Dear young men, a respectful greeting to all of you ...
    I have been, until today, a strong reader of the forum, I have decided only now to write and to contribute in the merit of the question Sysprep / default app.

Obviously I find in Windows 10 1903, the same problem as the default app reset .....
    I found (looking for 2 weeks) this article, which is a little dated but could be useful for some starting point or workaround.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/windowsinternals/2017/10/25/windows-10-how-to-configure-file-associations-for-it-pros/

I stay in "listening" .....

• Bearbeitet kgiammy Montag, 11. November 2019 10:34
    Montag, 11. November 2019 10:30
  • Hi Tipps

I am looking at this again tonight. I had to put it down and move onto something else. But am back looking at it tonight.

We only use LTSC 2019 and it works well. The image I created for deploying our physical estate was in the first half of the year and it doesn't have the "App reset" problems. Its only with the recent updates that there has been an issue and these don't affect our current users because, in the original image I didn't use "CopyProfile" in the xml.

Also, if any users did have the problem, its likely its not a reoccuring problem. ie in my testing, once I have logged in and all the "App Resets" have occurred. They don't reoccur on subsequent logins.

The reason I am pursuing the problem is because I need to create an image for a Non-Persistant VDI desktop with a mandatory profile. So I have used the "Copy profile" in the xml, so the mandatory profile I set up can be more efficient.  I could look at using DefProf instead of the MS solution....but it just really bugs me when standard stuff doesn't work.

In your image development are you using the "Copyprofile" option in the unattend.xml?

Montag, 11. November 2019 16:47
  • Thanks kgiammy, I had seen that article previously. It does have useful information. Unfortunately doesn't fix the issue and the cause referenced in the article isn't relevant to my problem. My testing is with a clean LTSC 2019 os and no apps.
    Montag, 11. November 2019 16:52
  • It seems like there are two issues occurring simultaneously.

1) The normal 1903/1809 Windows 10 Pro is broken and receiving app result popups starting on the Sept Cumulative updates after deploying with MDT or similar, importing a defaultappassociations .xml file, and logging in as a new user.

2) The 1809 LTSC appears to have the default app reset notifications appear after working with any specific extension for the first time, such as downloading a .jpg file.

Issue 2 can be resolved like this:

Use the third-party tool SetUserFTA to set user default app associations with a login script. ALSO, manually run the SetUserFTA tool for the SYSTEM user. This will stop the popups since the popups are actually for the SYSTEM user having its app associations reset, not the user you are testing.

I can't include links so just Google for "SetUserFTA" and look for the kolbi cz blog from the dev.

/blog/2017/10/25/setuserfta-userchoice-hash-defeated-set-file-type-associations-per-user/

See the note from the developer (Ctrl+F search for "NOVEMBER 7, 2019 AT 7:42 PM") where he pointed out that these app reset notifications are for the SYSTEM user.

Now the fact that the SYSTEM user is having its app associations reset and then the popups are showing up for any other user? You'll have to ask Microsoft about that one...

Montag, 11. November 2019 19:40
  • Sorry .... I resume my previous post with 2 lines ....

I performed the sysprep test (Win 10 Pro - 1903 updated to date) using, as indicated in the link I posted earlier, the DISM command .....

In the default app I set the default browser "internet explorer" and then "adobe reader" to manage files with pdf extension.
    I created the "temp" folder on disk C and then executed ...

1) Dism.exe / online /export-defaultappassociations:C:\temp\CustomFileAssoc.xml

and immediately after
     2) Dism.exe / online / import-defaultappassociations:C:\temp\CustomFileAssoc.xml

done this, I launched the sysprep command
    and all the rest (/ generalize / oobe / shutdown unattend: etc etc ....)

The system after reboot (post sysprep) still continues to report
    ".... An App Default Was Reset ......" at least 12 times ....
    HOWEVER
    I can assure you that in my case Internet explorer remains DEFAULT BROWSER and ADOBE READER default app for PDFs.

I hope I was helpful.....

Greetings and health .....
    Dienstag, 12. November 2019 11:03
  • kgiammy,

Could you see if you have the same issue prior to updating to a September, October, or (now) November cumulative update? I think something affecting these notifications was broken in every Cumulative update during and since September. I also think I spoke too soon in my previous message regarding SetUserFTA. I think the issue still might be present even after doing what I mentioned if you update to a recent cumulative update. I'm still testing this though.

Could you also clarify if you experience any issues without importing any default app associations XML file? If you don't configure that at all, do you still see the "An app default was reset" message?

Dienstag, 12. November 2019 21:36
  • Glad it is not just me experiencing this. Experiencing exactly the same issue when building images for my large corporation.

If you are installing 1903 with any cumulative update from September 2019 or later you will be afflicted by this. I have spent ages trying to solve it with no success - you will receive about 20 file association reset notifications the first time any new user logs in (nothing actually gets reset!)

I did the following tests

1. Install a fresh 1903 from the v1 iso (so only up to date to April 2019)

2. Put into audit mode

3. immediately sysprep without touching anything (generalise/oobe) with CopyProfile set to true

4. works fine

Then I repeated the above but after step 2 I installed the latest cumalative update and then carried on with steps 3 & 4 

The result is the reset notifcations. So they broke something and have yet to fix it...

Incidentally I have obtained the 1909 ISO and repeated the above but the issue is still there so sadly they have not resolved this issue even with the latest shiniest version of Windows 10. I hope something is done to fix this soon because frankly it just looks like amateur hour when my clients log in for the first time on brand new machines.

Samstag, 16. November 2019 21:33
  • So I am also trying to update our district image. Coming from 1809 and trying to upgrade to 1909. Like everyone else has said I've tried everything suggested. I did some additional testing with just a bare OS (no updates) and 1909 still nags the user with 13 app reset notifications on first login. This is a problem for us because we have thousands of student that are going to experience this every time they log into a new computer and students rotate computers a lot.

When I remove the "CopyProfile" flag from my sysprep file the problem goes away, but this is not a solution for us. We use the Copy Profile for back ground preferences, app preferences etc.

So now what? Do we go back to 1903 and not update it? Come on Microsoft this is a big problem. Please direct some resources to this to get it fixed.

• Bearbeitet Hoof-Arted Montag, 18. November 2019 15:59
    Montag, 18. November 2019 15:58

• When I remove the "CopyProfile" flag from my sysprep file the problem goes away, but this is not a solution for us. We use the Copy Profile for back ground preferences, app preferences etc.

I'm pretty stuck too, trying to come up with an idea that doesn't need "CopyProfile" since this has been a sore spot on Sysprep for literally years now.  But fixing this very useful function would be best.  It seems dumb to create workarounds and hacks to deal with CopyProfile malfunctions.
    Montag, 18. November 2019 17:43
  • This sounds tedious, but I never use copyprofile.  Usually with sysinternals procmon and the filter "category = write", I can figure out a simple file or registry change to script what's necessary.  My default profile is 3 megs.

• Bearbeitet JS2010 Montag, 18. November 2019 17:52
    Montag, 18. November 2019 17:51
  • Can you provide more detail on the process you are using, instead of using copyprofile?  I use copyprofile, so when a new user logs in, they get the correct desktop, and the correct bookmarks for Internet Explorer, Firefox, and Chrome.
    Montag, 18. November 2019 21:12
  • @zeb2100

I know about the SetupComplete.cmd script that runs after the first user logs in.  I'm already using this mechanism to do some specific per-machine tweaking.  Specifically, at the moment, I use it to grow the 'OS' partition to fill the target computer's drive, regardless of it's size.  I generate all my images on a 50GB HDD image, so this comes in handy, and no need to have technicians manually go in and resize the partitions after deployments.

I'm probably going to be investigating doing everything from that script that I normally use 'CopyProfile' to handle.  It's going to be more work to fine tune the script, but I guess once it's done, I can forget about 'CopyProfile' for the forseeable future.  Tired of coming back to issues with it again and again.

Here's the two scripts I use presently:

SetupComplete.cmd:

@echo off
    bcdedit /timeout 3
    set LOCALAPPDATA=%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local
    set PSExecutionPolicyPreference=Unrestricted
    powershell "%systemdrive%\Windows\ComputerCorps\ResizeOSPartition.ps1"

ResizeOSPartition.ps1:

Write "Resizing OS Partition to fill remaining disk, please wait..."
    $Partition = Get-Volume -FileSystemLabel "OS" | Get-Partition
    $NewSize = (Get-PartitionSupportedSize -InputObject $Partition).sizeMax
    Resize-Partition -InputObject $Partition -Size $NewSize
    Write "Done."

• Bearbeitet Chetar Ruby Montag, 18. November 2019 21:20
    Montag, 18. November 2019 21:18
  • There's various ways to set preferences in each browser.  Chrome has a master_preferences file.  Firefox has a mozilla.cfg file.  There's probably a way to set the wallpaper with group policy.  I just overwrite c:\windows\WEB\wallpaper\Windows\img0.jpg.  I don't normally set bookmarks, just the homepage.  I use group policy to set the IE homepage.
    • Bearbeitet JS2010 Montag, 18. November 2019 21:28
    Montag, 18. November 2019 21:23
  • Can you try the latest update on 1903 to see if the issue still persists? https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4498140 

You would need to update image before running sysprep copyprofile and testing. 

Montag, 18. November 2019 22:22
  • Can you try the latest update on 1903 to see if the issue still persists?

You would need to update image before running sysprep copyprofile and testing. 

1903 unpatched from the ISO works, but if you run Windows Updates inside audit mode it breaks. 1909 is broken in the ISO.

So our only option is to currently build an unpatched 1903 image and hope MS fixes this because we cannot move to 1909 at the moment.

Dienstag, 19. November 2019 14:21
  • I just tested a Windows 10 Enterprise version 1909 image.  It has no updates, and only the operating system is installed.  If copyprofile is true, and I run sysprep, I get the default app messages.  If copyprofile is set to false, then I don't get any default app message.

As I had mentioned before, we use copyprofile so all desktops get the same settings when a use logs in.  

Mittwoch, 20. November 2019 17:55
  • I'm experiencing the same problem with Windows 10 1909.  I also started off with a fresh install with Office 2016.  No updates or tweaks were made and copyprofile was not used.  What I noticed was the first logon(Domain User) I didn’t get any default app messages.  Once another user logged on the messages started to appear.  It’s the same message, 5 or 6 all Microsoft Edge.

Donnerstag, 21. November 2019 21:01
  • I found this temporary band-aid but by no means is it a fix, it just stops the annoying messages and sound.

https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/platforms_lync_cloud/2017/05/05/disabling-windows-10-action-center-notifications/

I have no idea if this will lead to other issues, but if you use the  "Disable Settings Notifications" via Group policy it does work.
    Donnerstag, 21. November 2019 21:46
  • I did some more tests last week and only now read this latest post from MCRBHS,

I believe that:
    The problem seems to be generated by the "Windows Welcome Screen" function that appears every time a new user / profile is started.
    In my case, before the sysprep was launched, I:

1) through the policy settings I have disabled the first run of the edge browser
    2) I, manually, from the "settings -> Notifications & actions" menu, deactivating all notifications … ( disable Windows welcome screen )
    3) I then launched DISM import / export commands ... as from previous posts ....
    4) I then executed the sysprep / generalize ......... /unattend.xml (copyprofile: true)

upon reboot there is no "app default reset" error and the apps set as default before the sysprep are kept .....

Thank you all….

Freitag, 29. November 2019 12:14
  • I looked at the policy settings to disable the first run of the edge browser, and I am not seeing it.  Can you give me the specific setting that you changed?  Thanks.
    Montag, 2. Dezember 2019 18:39
  • It looks like this procedure worked for me.  I kept the copyprofile option in sysprep to true.  I disabled the first run of the edge browser, and I deactivated all notifications.  I also created a default app associations file, using dism, and the group policy that sets the default associations file.  The computer did not have any messages when it logged in the first time, and no messages appeared when I joined the computer to the domain, and logged in with a domain account.
    Dienstag, 3. Dezember 2019 17:31
  • I didn't like the solution that consist of disabling all notifications.

I spent some hours of testing and just like all of you the copy profile cause de notifications.

I ended up editing the ntuser.dat of default profile to customize the user desktop/experience disable copy profile and voila :)

This is just a workaround and not a viable solution.

Regards

• Bearbeitet FLW System Donnerstag, 12. Dezember 2019 14:36
    Donnerstag, 12. Dezember 2019 14:35