none
Redirected Start Menu folder and "Replace Command Prompt with Windows Powershell..." fail RRS feed

• Frage

• A new feature of Creators/1703 is to switch on Powershell in the Win+X menu:

Which gives you

However, as an enterprise, we have redirected folders setup for several folders including the Start Menu. So when I click on the Windows PowerShell menu item, I get an error;

Because that location is empty, my Start Menu being here:

So, apart from turning off redirected folders, any other fix?

Mittwoch, 17. Januar 2018 14:55

Alle Antworten

• Hi,

You can recreate it manually I guess. So delete the broken one, right click in the folder new shortcut, enter for the target

%SystemRoot%\system32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\powershell.exe

For the name

Windows PowerShell

bring up the properties of the created shortcut, change 'start in' to

%HOMEDRIVE%%HOMEPATH%

Add the comment as

Performs object-based (command-line) functions

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2018 02:00
  • Would work perfectly as a solution for one user.

However, I manage 10,000, so that won't scale (especially since those 10,000 are entitled to change that setting backwards and forwards as they see fit - although I doubt most will).

Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2018 09:19
  • I don't think it would work, even for one user. The entries in that menu are not ordinary links, but include hashes that preclude manual editting. E.g. the kind of thing you have to do to get Control Panel back in that list:

https://www.htguk.com/get-back-control-panel-winx-menu-instead-settings-windows-10-creators-update-customize-way-really/

Given that MS has gone out of its way to make these entries hard to edit, it's only really MS who can fix it to honour folder redirection properly.

Meanwhile, the only workaround I can see is to find a way to populate the Powershell.lnk in the place the entry is expecting to find it. i.e. put such a link in %userprofile%\appdata\roaming\etc.., ignoring the redirection.

Donnerstag, 18. Januar 2018 09:48
  • Hi,

We haven’t heard from you for a couple of days, have you solved the problem?  

Best Regards,

Tao

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help. If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Mittwoch, 24. Januar 2018 07:25
  • No.

As said above "it's only really MS who can fix it to honour folder redirection properly"

then I guess I'll have to raise a Support Case to make Microsoft fix it.

That response from Mark Sandells is helpful, but not a solution really.

Mittwoch, 24. Januar 2018 08:59
  • Have you received a fix for this problem? Same here!
    Donnerstag, 28. Juni 2018 10:59
  • Also happens if you redirect Appdata folder to a network share, still waiting on a fix

BUMB I am not editing shortcuts to resolve this, someone really write that as a solution!

Dienstag, 6. November 2018 16:32
  • Still a problem!  Come on Microsoft, please fix these menu items to honor folder redirection.
    Mittwoch, 20. März 2019 15:39
  • I resolved this by configuring Start Menu redirection to actual location where Windows seems to be looking for it.

E.g.: \\files\Homes$\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu

Mittwoch, 16. Oktober 2019 11:36