none
Migrating KMS server from one computer to another RRS feed

• Frage

• Hi,

I would like to know how to migrate the KMS from one server to another. Thanks in advance
    Samstag, 10. Januar 2009 08:42

Antworten

• Steps to migrating the KMS:

1. Uninstall the KMS host key first by running the following command:

slmgr -upk

2. Then, install the default kms key by running the following command:

slmgr /ipk [KMS Client Setup Key]

The default KMS client setup keys can be found here:

3. Delete the record from the DNS:

Open DNS console:

Expand _tcp node under the domain.com. There will be a record _VLMCS. Delete this record.

4. The KMS server is uninstalled.

5. To install KMS on a new server, enter:

cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey>

then to activate the KMS host, enter:

cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

6. After activation is complete, restart the Software Licensing Service.

7. Verify that the record is created for the new server in the DNS.

To verify that the KMS host is configured correctly, you can check the KMS count to see if it is increasing. Run slmgr.vbs /dli on the KMS host to obtain the current KMS count. You can also check the Key Management Service log in the Applications and Services Logs folder for 12290 events, which records activation requests from KMS clients. Each event displays the name of the computer and the time-stamp of an individual activation request.
    • Als Antwort markiert Undying Lament Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2009 10:36
    Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2009 10:35

Alle Antworten

• Steps to migrating the KMS:

1. Uninstall the KMS host key first by running the following command:

slmgr -upk

2. Then, install the default kms key by running the following command:

The default KMS client setup keys can be found here:

3. Delete the record from the DNS:

Open DNS console:

Expand _tcp node under the domain.com. There will be a record _VLMCS. Delete this record.

4. The KMS server is uninstalled.

5. To install KMS on a new server, enter:

cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey>

then to activate the KMS host, enter:

cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato

6. After activation is complete, restart the Software Licensing Service.

7. Verify that the record is created for the new server in the DNS.

To verify that the KMS host is configured correctly, you can check the KMS count to see if it is increasing. Run slmgr.vbs /dli on the KMS host to obtain the current KMS count. You can also check the Key Management Service log in the Applications and Services Logs folder for 12290 events, which records activation requests from KMS clients. Each event displays the name of the computer and the time-stamp of an individual activation request.
    • Als Antwort markiert Undying Lament Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2009 10:36
    Mittwoch, 25. Februar 2009 10:35
  • If you have Office 2010 KMS on the same server - make sure you remove the Office key before you uninstal the KMS host key.

We didn't and couldn't get the same office key to activate on the new KMS server - we had to do it manually over the phone...

Donnerstag, 30. Dezember 2010 14:08
  • This post was quite helpful for me almost 2 years later.  I adapted these instructions for my ever-so-slightly different situation, and I appreciated the clarity of the steps here.  

My situation was moving the KMS host from a Server 2003 server (which is not itself a KMS client, so step 2 is not needed), to a Server 2008 R2 server and the fact that we have two DNS namespaces to deal with, one using dynamice DNS (the Microsoft DNS namespace we have), and the other being manually managed, running BIND on a Solaris server.  (The MS one is a subdomain of the BIND one--don't ask!)  I just altered the record in BIND to put the new server name:    _vlmcs._tcp             IN      SRV     0 0 1688 newservername

An updated link in step 2, for those who use R2 versions of the Server 2008, is http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff793406.aspx

For anyone confused in the future, in step 6, the service is called "Software Protection" in Server 2008 R2, maybe other versions, too.

Thanks a bunch, Undying Lament!

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen DiegoCS Dienstag, 19. Juli 2011 20:36
    Donnerstag, 24. Februar 2011 16:22
  • Hello,

You should also start and stop the service after changing the product key or reboot the machine.  The server may still try to update the DNS record until the machine is rebooted or the licensing service is stopped and restarted.

Thanks, Darrell Gorter This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen DiegoCS Dienstag, 19. Juli 2011 20:36
    Dienstag, 1. März 2011 22:56
  • If you are retiring the Windows 2003 server, but replacing with a new Windows 2008 R2 server (as I am doing), do you need to do step 2:

2. Then, install the default kms key by running the following command:

I have two KMS servers running Win2003.  I was thinking about replacing one at a time, but use the same server name and IP address each time so that I don't have to update DNS or the FW rules in place.  The one server will continue servicing requests while the other is being rebuilt - and then vice versa.  But, since I am doing it this way do I need to do step 2?  Or I guess even step 1?  I assume step 1 does some sort of reverse registration with Microsoft so I am guessing that I still need that.  But if the server is being destroyed (at least the Win 2003 OS running on) do I need to do step 2?

Thanks

NK

• Bearbeitet NJK-Work Montag, 7. Januar 2013 20:01
    Montag, 7. Januar 2013 20:01
  • I inherited KMS from a fella that left the company.  I now need to migrate to Windows 2008 R2 based KMS so that we can deploy Windows Server 2012 and Windows 8 in the future.  How do I know if the Office 2010 KMS is running on my 2003 servers?

Thanks

NK

Montag, 7. Januar 2013 20:04
  • If you are retiring the Windows 2003 server, but replacing with a new Windows 2008 R2 server (as I am doing), do you need to do step 2:

2. Then, install the default kms key by running the following command:

I have two KMS servers running Win2003.  I was thinking about replacing one at a time, but use the same server name and IP address each time so that I don't have to update DNS or the FW rules in place.  The one server will continue servicing requests while the other is being rebuilt - and then vice versa.  But, since I am doing it this way do I need to do step 2?  Or I guess even step 1?  I assume step 1 does some sort of reverse registration with Microsoft so I am guessing that I still need that.  But if the server is being destroyed (at least the Win 2003 OS running on) do I need to do step 2?

Thanks

NK

Hi,

For step 1. he assumes the to-be-demoted KMShost is running a newer OS than 2003, and, the demoted KMShost is to be repurposed as a KMSclient (which is done in step 2).
    There is no information sent to MS until the "/ato" command within step 5.

The "/upk" command merely removes the existing product key. In the case where KMShost is running on 2003, this step is not needed if you are uninstalling the KMShost service/pack anyway, or, wiping the server.
    Similarly, there is no need to do the subsequent "/ipk" on the demoted KMShost server if you are wiping that machine anyway.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

Montag, 7. Januar 2013 20:11
  • Cool.  Thank you.  So does this sound about right:

1) Shut down first Windows 2003 server (leave other running to continue servicing requests) and remove COMPUTER object from the domain

2) Build new Windows 2008 R2 server and give the same name and IP address as the server shut down in step 1.  Join it to the domain

3) Install KMS hotfix to allow it to service Windows 2012 Server and Windows 8 machines

4) Run "cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey>" on the server for each license we are using?  I think we do just Server Group B and the Office key...is that right?

5) Run "cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ato" and restart the services

6) Repeat 1-5 for the other Windows 2003 machine.

I gues the only thing I am unclear about is step 4.  Are there three keys now?  One for 2008 R2 and one for 2012?  Or is there a new key that covers both that I get from our MS Licensing site?  And then one for Office?

Thanks

Nelson

• Bearbeitet NJK-Work Montag, 7. Januar 2013 21:06
    Montag, 7. Januar 2013 20:45
  • Cool.  Thank you.  So does this sound about right:

1) Shut down first Windows 2003 server (leave other running to continue servicing requests) and remove COMPUTER object from the domain

2) Build new Windows 2008 R2 server and give the same name and IP address as the server shut down in step 1.  Join it to the domain

3) Install KMS hotfix to allow it to service Windows 2012 Server and Windows 8 machines

4) Run "cscript C:\windows\system32\slmgr.vbs /ipk <KmsKey>" on the server for each license we are using?  I think we do just Server Group B and the Office key...is that right?

I gues the only thing I am unclear about is step 4.  Are there three keys now?  One for 2008 R2 and one for 2012?  Or is there a new key that covers both that I get from our MS Licensing site?  And then one for Office?

for your step 4), yes, but you will need to install the Office KMShostlicensepack hotfix before you try to add the Office KMShost pkey.
    There can only be a single Windows pkey installed, so if your KMShost is itself running WS2008R2, and you want it to issue activations for WS2012+Win8+WS2008R2+Win7+WS2008+WinVista, you would input the KMShost pkey for WS2012.

Then, you will need to install the Office KMShostlicensepack hotfix before you try to add the Office KMShost pkey.

I don't actually know if you go from a "fresh" WS2008R2 straight to WS2012 KMShost pkey (since I have so far only progressed via the upgrade of 2008R2-with-2008R2-KMShostPkey -> 2008R2-with-2012-KMShostPkey )

you may also be best to check your DNS auto-publishing is working ok, depending on if/how you ACL your DNS RR's.

Don
    (Please take a moment to "Vote as Helpful" and/or "Mark as Answer", where applicable.
    This helps the community, keeps the forums tidy, and recognises useful contributions. Thanks!)

• Bearbeitet DonPick Dienstag, 8. Januar 2013 05:33
    Dienstag, 8. Januar 2013 05:32
  • Hello,

Do not use Step one, it is bad to do this to a system.

/ upk removes all the product keys and leaves the machine in  very weird state

Features or components may not work properly and may not be recoverable

Thanks, Darrell Gorter [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. VAMT - Volume Activation Management Tool - Download link http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=ec7156d2-2864-49ee-bfcb-777b898ad582&displaylang=en

Dienstag, 8. Januar 2013 22:53
  • Hi,

Just to clarify something:

Do steps 1 and 2 both if you intend to keep  the server still running in the environment.

Step 1 will remove the product key (the server will no longer be the KMS host). Then do step 2 to install a default KMS Client setup key (this to make it a KMS client). Now, if the new KMS Host has been configured correctly, this old KMS host (which is now a KMS client) will be activated against it.

Regards

Montag, 14. Januar 2013 06:53
  • Thank you.

Nelson

Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013 14:31
  • I have another related question.  It looks like there might be some relationship between OCS (2007 R2) client and KMS.  Does anyone know if OCS uses KMS for licensing purposes and if so, is there specific steps I need to do to make it work?  I found an OCS client/server directory on one of our KMS server and since the guy that originally setup or KMS is no longer here, I am left wondering why he would have put that on there and what is the relationship between the two.

Thanks

Nelson

Dienstag, 15. Januar 2013 15:46
  • "Does anyone know if OCS uses KMS for licensing purposes"

It doesn't (to the best of my knowledge).

Regards

Sonntag, 20. Januar 2013 08:59
  • I have another related question.  It looks like there might be some relationship between OCS (2007 R2) client and KMS.  Does anyone know if OCS uses KMS for licensing purposes and if so, is there specific steps I need to do to make it work?  I found an OCS client/server directory on one of our KMS server and since the guy that originally setup or KMS is no longer here, I am left wondering why he would have put that on there and what is the relationship between the two.

Office2007 products don't use Volume Activation 2.0, no KMS is used/needed/possible for 2007 products at all.

Don

Sonntag, 20. Januar 2013 09:20
  • Thank you.

My first upgrade went awesome and now I am doing the other server today.  Thanks to all who provided answers to my questions.  Things went very smoothly.

Nelson

Mittwoch, 23. Januar 2013 15:05
  • Nelson: Just to clarify as there was few replies in between but did you follow you original plan exactly like this or did you change something?

I have very similar situation but only one KMS server, so plan is to re-use the server name.

You also didn´t remove/un-active that KMS role before shutting down?

Thanks!

Freitag, 8. Februar 2013 10:12
  • Hi All,

We are moving the KMS server from windows -2003 to windows-2012 server.

Requirement as follows.

* I dont want to disturb my current KMS server till new server up and running.

*once my new server up and running ,i have to remove old server need to diver to new server.

Please can you share the step by step guide with details.

thanks in advance....

Regards

Manjunath

Montag, 23. Juni 2014 07:34
  • Hi All,

We are moving the KMS server from windows -2003 to windows-2012 server.

Requirement as follows.

* I dont want to disturb my current KMS server till new server up and running.

*once my new server up and running ,i have to remove old server need to diver to new server.

Please can you share the step by step guide with details.

thanks in advance....

Regards

Manjunath

Hi Manjunath,

the steps are described above, and, are really the standard steps you follow for establishing a KMShost. The additional steps, are related to decommissioning the old KMShost.

Basically:

a) establish the new KMShost, and activate it
    b) ensure the new KMShost, is correctly reflected in DNS
    c) temporarily disable the old KMShost (stop slssvc, or, block incoming TCP1688, or unplug server from the network, or whatever)
    d) verify that KMSclients are re-discovering from DNS, the new KMShost, and can activate/renew to that
    e) decommission the old KMShost
    f) delete the old DNS records for old KMShost

Don

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen Manjunath Rama Dienstag, 24. Juni 2014 08:43
    Montag, 23. Juni 2014 09:12
  • Question. 

I have a similar scenario. 

I was running my KMS Host on a physical server which I have now virtualized. 

I simply extracted the OS frrom the physical and now its running on a virtual environment with Vmware. 

Once the server was virtualized , I noticed via Volume Activation Management Tool two license for the KMS server. The KMS host license is active but the Microsoft Office 2010 license is Out of tolerance Grace. 

If I run the slmgr.vbs /dli command , it show me Current count is 0 under Key Management Service is enabled on this machine. 

Do I need to re-install the license on both these products or just the office products. 

Mittwoch, 4. März 2015 17:04
  • Question. 

I have a similar scenario. 

I was running my KMS Host on a physical server which I have now virtualized. 

I simply extracted the OS frrom the physical and now its running on a virtual environment with Vmware. 

Once the server was virtualized , I noticed via Volume Activation Management Tool two license for the KMS server. The KMS host license is active but the Microsoft Office 2010 license is Out of tolerance Grace. 

If I run the slmgr.vbs /dli command , it show me Current count is 0 under Key Management Service is enabled on this machine. 

Do I need to re-install the license on both these products or just the office products. 

Hello Dgunz1237,

in the scenario where your KMShost is both Windows + Office, you must use:
    slmgr.vbs /dli all

or

slmgr.vbs /dlv all

This is because slmgr.vbs is originally designed for Windows keys, and not Office keys.
    So, by default (when you don't use the "all" parameter) only Windows keys are listed.

In the scenario where your KMShost is both Windows + Office, the KMShost functions for each, can be in different state/condition (e.g. Windows KMS is ok but Office KMS is not ok)

To answer your question [Do I need to re-install both or just office?], the information from the /dli all is needed.

Don

Mittwoch, 4. März 2015 20:11
  • Don, 

Thanks for you advise. 

I did indeed get more information running the command you stated above. The KMS Host seems fine. The issue is with the office license which is separate from the KMS Host license. The results of the command stated the following under license status , of Microsoft Office 2010., KMS host edition. 

License Status : Additional Grace period (KMS license expired or hardware out of tolerance) Time remaining 29 days. 

I suspect this is because it notice that the hardware changed. I was under the impression that the KMS host would detect this as well,.but on the bright side, its seem fine and its licensed. 

Being that office is out of tolerance. I need to remove the Office license and re-install and activate it once again. I tried activating it again using the Volume Activation Management Tool to no availability. It tells me invalid class. Could I just run  slmgr.vbs /ipk to install over the current license and get it working. Thanks in advance for you help.

Mittwoch, 4. März 2015 20:47
  • Don, 

Thanks for you advise. 

I did indeed get more information running the command you stated above. The KMS Host seems fine. The issue is with the office license which is separate from the KMS Host license. The results of the command stated the following under license status , of Microsoft Office 2010., KMS host edition. 

License Status : Additional Grace period (KMS license expired or hardware out of tolerance) Time remaining 29 days. 

I suspect this is because it notice that the hardware changed. I was under the impression that the KMS host would detect this as well,.but on the bright side, its seem fine and its licensed. 

Being that office is out of tolerance. I need to remove the Office license and re-install and activate it once again. I tried activating it again using the Volume Activation Management Tool to no availability. It tells me invalid class. Could I just run  slmgr.vbs /ipk to install over the current license and get it working. Thanks in advance for you help.

@GabrielAlexander, use caution for this!

when using slmgr.vbs on a shared Windows/Office KMShost, to take action on only the Office KMShost aspects, ensure that you specify the Office ActivationID

That is: Office2010: bfe7a195-4f8f-4f0b-a622-cf13c7d16864
    https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624357(v=office.14).aspx#section2

Office2013: 2E28138A-847F-42BC-9752-61B03FFF33CD

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn385356.aspx

Don

Donnerstag, 5. März 2015 06:22
  • Hello everyone,

I am also working on migrating from one server to another. We have a Windows 2008R2 KMS server that is currently activating Office 2010, Office 2013, Server 2008R2, Server 2012R2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1. I already have my new 2012R2 server setup and almost ready to go. However, there are no clear directions or guides on how to do this. I found this great guide for setting up your 2012 server and updating your VLMCS DNS entry.

http://didyourestart.blogspot.com/2013/01/installing-upgrading-windows-server.html
    However, there is no mention of what do with office and windows.

Any help would be great.

Thanks

Freitag, 25. September 2015 15:00
  • Hello everyone,

I am also working on migrating from one server to another. We have a Windows 2008R2 KMS server that is currently activating Office 2010, Office 2013, Server 2008R2, Server 2012R2, Windows 7, and Windows 8.1. I already have my new 2012R2 server setup and almost ready to go. However, there are no clear directions or guides on how to do this. I found this great guide for setting up your 2012 server and updating your VLMCS DNS entry.

http://didyourestart.blogspot.com/2013/01/installing-upgrading-windows-server.html
    However, there is no mention of what do with office and windows.

Hi Annie, the blog article you found, explains how to use the WS2012R2 "Volume Activation Tools" to establish a WS2012R2 KMShost for Windows KMSclients. That method is only suitable for the Windows KMS function. To perform the equivalent KMShost setup for Office, follow the Office KMS setup guide:

OFF2010:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ee624357(v=office.14)

OFF2013:

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dn385356(v=office.15).aspx

Don

• Bearbeitet DonPick Freitag, 25. September 2015 22:29
    Freitag, 25. September 2015 22:26
  • Hello

I'm also planning to migrate from Windows 2008r2 to 2012R2, for activating Office 15 and 16 and OS on the same server. What should I do with Windows and Office 14 kms keys? Does slmgr.vbs -upk uninstall all keys or I need to add ActivationID for each product?

Thanks for your response

• Bearbeitet alexandrit Mittwoch, 4. November 2015 13:34
    Mittwoch, 4. November 2015 13:32
  • Hello

I'm also planning to migrate from Windows 2008r2 to 2012R2, for activating Office 15 and 16 and OS on the same server. What should I do with Windows and Office 14 kms keys? Does slmgr.vbs -upk uninstall all keys or I need to add ActivationID for each product?

Thanks for your response

If you will completely decommission the old server, there's no need to use /upk at all.
    If you will partially decommission the old server (maybe you will keep it running for other non-KMS purposes), then you can remove each KMS role one at a time if you choose.

If you use slmgr.vbs /upk, that will remove the Windows product key only. To remove the Office KMShost product keys you must specify the ActivationID for each Office KMS product, as mentioned above.

Don [doesn't work for MSFT, and they're probably glad about that ;]

• Als Antwort vorgeschlagen alexandrit Donnerstag, 5. November 2015 07:45
    Mittwoch, 4. November 2015 20:52
  • You can run KMS servers in parallel. But only one will be active.

If you modify the permission of the DNS entry itself, you can control, which server is allowed to update this record. So only the server, which has the permission to update the DNS entry will be the active KMS.

In this scenario its easier to roll back and you dont have to uninstall the old KMS before you install a new one.

Donnerstag, 26. November 2015 14:35
  • You can run KMS servers in parallel. But only one will be active.

If you modify the permission of the DNS entry itself, you can control, which server is allowed to update this record. So only the server, which has the permission to update the DNS entry will be the active KMS.

That's not accurate. It is actually very easy to create multiple KMShosts (which is often a problem when the KMShost product key is used incorrectly causing the unexpected cration of "rogue" KMShosts). There is no such limitation of "only one can be active".

A KMShost does not demand/require to be published into DNS, although convenient to do so, KMS works perfectly fine if not published into DNS, and, not-published is a totally valid implementation scenario in certain situations where auto-discovery-via-DNS is not a requirement.

unpublishing a KMShost SRV RR from DNS does not cause that KMShost to become inactive. All existing KMSclients which have discovered/communicated with a KMShost will remain configured to that KMShost regardless of DNS records, because KMSclients "cache" the discovered/configured KMShost name/address. This can be cleared from a KMSclient by using the /ckms method of slmgr.vbs on the client.

Donnerstag, 26. November 2015 20:11
  • Hi,

in my environement I have secured the DNS entry to ensure only one KMS is active :)

I know there can be several Kms active, but to avoid any admin in the whole environment wants to a install a new KMS I secured the DNS entry. In the past I had the issue, that anybody installed a KMS and configured not enough licenses on this server, so many clients run out of the grace period.

Do you know, if there is any other automatism to clear the KMS server from the client? It would be fine not to use a login script or software distribution to run the command.

At the moment there is an issue with Office 2013 and Office 2016 on a windows 2008 R2 KMS server (KB3104410). Until there is no solution from MS available I have to plan to migrate the KMS to a Windows 2012 R2 server.

So it will only work for the client, when the new KMS is in use. But for that I have to clear the cache...

Montag, 30. November 2015 13:38
  • Do you know, if there is any other automatism to clear the KMS server from the client? It would be fine not to use a login script or software distribution to run the command.

At the moment there is an issue with Office 2013 and Office 2016 on a windows 2008 R2 KMS server (KB3104410). Until there is no solution from MS available I have to plan to migrate the KMS to a Windows 2012 R2 server.

So it will only work for the client, when the new KMS is in use. But for that I have to clear the cache...

If the KMSclient is using auto-discovery-via-DNS, setup the new KMShost, activate the new host, adjust the DNS records so that the old host is no longer referenced by _vlmcs._tcp SRV records, and shutdown the old KMShost (or block TCP:1688 inbound to the old host).
    This will cause KMSclients to perform re-discovery, discover the new host, and renew to the new host.
    The first 4/24 KMSclients will not activate, so you may experience some KMSclients transition into the Notification state, but this will soon resolve, when the 5/25 KMSclient makes a connection.

Montag, 30. November 2015 20:11
  • Question. 

Can the same key that was being used on the decommissioned server be used or do new keys need to be used on the new server. 

Donnerstag, 18. Juli 2019 15:58
  • Hello . 

Question. 

Im migrating from server 2008 R2 to server 2016. 

Now I have already uninstalled the currently keys from the server 2008 r2 as this is not mission critical. 

I deleted the dns record from dns and the new server is up and joined to the domain. 

Now Im attempting to use the same keys the previous server had configured licensed for. 

Are the keys transferable or must I use new keys on the new server 2016 KMS Host. 

Another thing to point out is that Im currently activating server 2016 with Active Directory. Im only need the Key Management Services on server 2016 to activate older os. Windows 7 , server 2008 etc etc. As well as Office 2015.  

Can you please advise or provide some info regarding this. 

Donnerstag, 18. Juli 2019 16:14
  • Question. 

Can the same key that was being used on the decommissioned server be used or do new keys need to be used on the new server. 

if the OS versions and edition is the same on old/new kmshost, you can re-use the same product key (assuming the key has not been used too many times already)

Donnerstag, 18. Juli 2019 21:56
  • Hello . 

Question. 

Im migrating from server 2008 R2 to server 2016. 

Now I have already uninstalled the currently keys from the server 2008 r2 as this is not mission critical. 

I deleted the dns record from dns and the new server is up and joined to the domain. 

Now Im attempting to use the same keys the previous server had configured licensed for. 

Are the keys transferable or must I use new keys on the new server 2016 KMS Host. 

Another thing to point out is that Im currently activating server 2016 with Active Directory. Im only need the Key Management Services on server 2016 to activate older os. Windows 7 , server 2008 etc etc. As well as Office 2015.  

Can you please advise or provide some info regarding this. 

since the new OS version is newer/later than the old OS version, the old product key might not work.

check the type of KMShost product key in your VLSC, or check your records.

If the KMShost product key is not WS2016 or WS2019, you will need a different/new KMShost product key. check your VLSC for a suitable key.

For Office KMShost, the version of windows OS on KMShost is not important, you can re-use the same key for Office.

Donnerstag, 18. Juli 2019 21:59
  • Got it,  

So I will retrieve a new key from the VLSC and apply it accordingly. 

I tried using the same key for the office installation but it failed stating its not a valid key. 

I assume its missing a patch or two to make it work on Server 2016. 

LasNow if I apply the new key to make it work on 2016 server, will that create an issue with the current deployed activation directory Key for windows server 2016. 

I need this server to just activate older OS. The key deployed in Active Directory is activating new server 2016 os. Im wondering if there will be some kind of conflict. 

Thanks in advance. 

Freitag, 19. Juli 2019 13:40
  • So according to the following article, 

This csvlk key for windows server 2016 will activate the following. So in essence I dont need to have the activation setup within Active Directory. I assume I can use one or the other. Either Active Directory Based activation or using KMS host on windows server 2016.  Thanks in advance. 

Volume License for Windows Server 2016 Windows Server 2012

Windows Server 2012 R2

Windows Server 2016

Windows Server Semi-Annual Channel 

Windows Server 2016 (all editions)

Windows 10 LTSB (2015 and 2016)

Windows 10 Professional

Windows 10 Enterprise

Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Windows 10 Education

Windows Server 2012 R2 (all editions)

Windows 8.1 Professional

Windows 8.1 Enterprise

Windows Server 2012 (all editions)

Windows Server 2008 R2 (all editions)

Windows Server 2008 (all editions)

Windows 7 Professional

Windows 7 Enterprise

Freitag, 19. Juli 2019 14:18
  • Thanks Don, 

I have applied the new key that is applicable to Windows Server 2016. 

The server registered within DNS as the new kms host. 

Question? Will the client pc's that activated with the old kms host activate with the new one. 

I suspect when they query dns and the record is retrieved they will get routed to the new host and be activated by the new server 2016 kms host. 

Is this correct? or must I do something on all clients to un-register and register with the new one.

Thank in advance. 

Montag, 22. Juli 2019 18:09
  • Thanks Don, 

I have applied the new key that is applicable to Windows Server 2016. 

The server registered within DNS as the new kms host. 

Question? Will the client pc's that activated with the old kms host activate with the new one. 

I suspect when they query dns and the record is retrieved they will get routed to the new host and be activated by the new server 2016 kms host. 

Is this correct? or must I do something on all clients to un-register and register with the new one.

Thank in advance. 

if your existing KMSclient machines had discovered/located your KMShost by way of DNS lookups, they will maintain that knowledge in the KMSclient local cache. When the old KMShost machine is shutdown, the KMSclients will re-execute DNS lookups and re-run discovery. This means that you need to do nothing to those KMScients at all (assuming you have used automatic DNS publishing and discovery defaults). They will re-activate to the new KMShost automatically.

If any machines are configured to use static/fixed KMShost settings, those will need to be reconfigured by you.

You can check the status on the KMShost (both old and new) by using: cscript slmgr.vbs /dlv all

You can also examine the event logs on the KMShosts and on KMSclients, looking for SPPSVC events.

• Bearbeitet DonPick Montag, 22. Juli 2019 21:43
    • Als Antwort vorgeschlagen GabrielAlexander Mittwoch, 24. Juli 2019 13:20
    Montag, 22. Juli 2019 21:40