none
DPM Secondary server cannot backup from Primary server RRS feed

• Frage

• Hi,

I have two 2016 Servers, a primary and secondary DPM 2016 setup. My primary DPM is working perfectly proctecting VMs, Data, SQL, etc. The issue is with the secondary installation. It can see the primary DPM and its protected volumes. It can select what it wants to protect, but I run into an issue in the 'Review Disk Storage Allocation' section of the 'Create New Storage Group' process.

The dialog box freezes when trying to determine storage sizes and gives a generic 'MMC has stopped working' error and shuts down DPM program. This happens when I try to protect any type of backups (SQL, VMs, Data, etc) from the primary DPM.

In the event viewer on the Secondary DPM the following error is given:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

- System
    - Provider
    [ Name] MSDPM
    - EventID 999
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Keywords 0x80000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2017-08-29T10:33:24.714371600Z
    EventRecordID 2869
    Channel Application
    Computer

LYIT-DPM1.lyitnet.lyit.ie

The description for Event ID 999 from source MSDPM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event: 

An unexpected error caused a failure for process 'mmc'.  Restart the DPM process 'mmc'.

Problem Details:
    <FatalServiceError><__System><ID>19</ID><Seq>0</Seq><TimeCreated>29/08/2017 10:33:24</TimeCreated><Source>DpmThreadPool.cs</Source><Line>163</Line><HasError>True</HasError></__System><ExceptionType>NullReferenceException</ExceptionType><ExceptionMessage>Object reference not set to an instance of an object.</ExceptionMessage><ExceptionDetails>System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Inquiry.MultiDatasourceSizeInquiry.ResultUniquePath(InquiryPath junctionlessPath, InquiryPath startNodeRelativePath, String serverName)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Inquiry.MultiDatasourceSizeInquiry.ProcessResults(InquiryTaskInformation taskInfo)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Inquiry.MultiDatasourceSizeInquiry.OnInquiryResultsArrival(InquiryResult result)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.UI.ObjectModel.Inquiry.MultiDatasourceSizeInquiry.rornTaskDef_TaskProgress(Object sender, EventMatchedEventArgs eventEntry)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EngineUICommon.RORN.RornTaskDef.Task_TaskProgress(Object sender, EventMatchedEventArgs e)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EventManagement.BaseEventFilter.Send(EventMatchedEventArgs args)
       at Microsoft.Internal.EnterpriseStorage.Dls.EventManagement.EventManager.PollingThreadProc(Object data)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.RunInternal(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state, Boolean preserveSyncCtx)
       at System.Threading.ExecutionContext.Run(ExecutionContext executionContext, ContextCallback callback, Object state)
       at System.Threading.ThreadHelper.ThreadStart(Object obj)</ExceptionDetails></FatalServiceError>

the message resource is present but the message is not found in the string/message table

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On the Primary DPM the following error is given:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Log Name:      Application
    Source:        Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
    Date:          29/08/2017 11:17:55
    Event ID:      513
    Task Category: None
    Level:         Error
    Keywords:      Classic
    User:          N/A
    Computer:      LYIT-DPM3.lyitnet.lyit.ie
    Description:
    Cryptographic Services failed while processing the OnIdentity() call in the System Writer Object.

Details:
    AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol.

System Error:
    Access is denied.

System
    - Provider
    [ Name] Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
    [ Guid] {5bbca4a8-b209-48dc-a8c7-b23d3e5216fb}
    [ EventSourceName] Microsoft-Windows-CAPI2
    - EventID 513
    [ Qualifiers] 0
    Version 0
    Level 2
    Task 0
    Opcode 0
    Keywords 0x8080000000000000
    - TimeCreated
    [ SystemTime] 2017-08-29T10:17:55.714190000Z
    EventRecordID 20126
    Correlation
    - Execution
    [ ProcessID] 1516
    [ ThreadID] 1916
    Channel Application
    Computer LYIT-DPM3.lyitnet.lyit.ie
    Security
    - EventData
    Details: AddLegacyDriverFiles: Unable to back up image of binary Microsoft Link-Layer Discovery Protocol. System Error: Access is denied.  

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Any help on what I can do to resolve this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Dan

Dienstag, 29. August 2017 10:48

Alle Antworten

• This is a known bug with DPM 2016 and the official fix should be released with UR4. You can contact Microsoft Support for the private fix. 

MCSE, MCSA, MS, MCP, MCTS, System Engineer

Montag, 4. September 2017 07:46
  • Hi Matej,

Thank you for your help. I will follow up with Microsoft Support. I'm just wondering, we have no support contract with Microsoft for this product, will we be liable to be charged a fee for this fix?

Thanks,

Dan 

Dienstag, 5. September 2017 16:49
  • Hi Dan

That I do not know, but I think you should not be charged because it is a bug.

Maybe you can get more information here

Donnerstag, 7. September 2017 05:46
  • Great news, UR4 was released

Mittwoch, 25. Oktober 2017 12:08