none
Print over LAN to Canon PIXMA MX700

Question

• I'm having trouble printing over my LAN (ethernet connection) to my Canon PIXMA MX700 multi-function inkjet using Windows 7 x64. It works fine in Vista x64.

I am able to install the Canon driver successfully, and the setup portion detects the printer and reports the correct IP address, but fails during the "communicating with printer" portion. I am able to ping the printer successfully though. I have tried this with the firewall set to its default settings and with it turned off, and with my NOD32 antivirus both on and off.

I am able to print over USB, but prefer to use the ethernet connection if possible. I've considered trying to run the installation application in a Vista compatibility mode, but when I right-click on the .exe all I see is a "Troubleshoot compatibility" choice which seems to lead to a compatibilty troubleshooter/wizard with no clear choice to pick Vista compatibility.

Am I missing something obvious here (wouldn't surprise me, I can be dense sometimes...)?

Thanks in advance...

Edit: Told you I was dense sometimes. I found the compatibility tab, will try that now. If anyone has any other advice, I'm all ears!

Edit #2: Ok, I tried installing the driver in Vista compatibility mode but still no luck...
    • Edited by WiFi Ed Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:56 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 2:57 AM

Answers

• Ok, here's the latest results.

1. Clean re-install of Win7 beta.
    2. Tried to have Windows auto-detect the printer through the "Add Printer" tool. No success.
    3. Installed Canon driver and like before, the setup routine seems to detect the printer (reports correct IP address) but fails to complete.
    4. I abort the install and look for the printer in Devices and Printers. It shows the printer, but printer properties doesn't show the network port (BJNP) and printing a test page fails.

I re-boot and recheck. Same results as step 4. I try to re-install the printer driver in anticipation of setting it up to use USB, but this time, right after I click on the setup file, a dialog box pops up saying it has detected the printer (a Canon dialog box, not one from Win7).

I check the printer properties again and the BJNP port is now there and printing over the LAN works.

The scanner function is not detected, but at least the bloody thing prints now. I'll wait until Canon releases an updated driver before I expect complete functionality.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 3:43 AM

All replies

• I'm in the same boat with Win7 x32. 

As far as I can tell, the problem is related to the Canon BJNP port not being properly installed with the driver.  I've followed most of the same steps as you.  I've also tried to manually detect the network port, install a new network port, use a TCP/IP network port (using the printer's IP address) but I've come up empty. I've tried using the Vista drivers on Canon's site as well as the drivers in Win7.

Anyone who can help with this?  It would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, January 14, 2009 1:22 PM
  • Well, I guess I got it up and running picking up hints from all over the web.  I'm not 100% sure which of the steps are critical but...

• Download the latest Vista drivers on Canon's website.
    • Prior to running the install, I selected compatibility mode for Vista and selected run as an Administrator
    • Install the drivers and when you are asked to select a port, select manual then set the port at File:
    • After the printer is setup, select it, then properties and then add a new port, selecting the Canon BJNP port.
    • Configure with the printers IP address.
    In my previous attempts to get this working, I never saw the Canon BJNP port come up as an option.  So I think it is critical to get the printer up and running on an actual port first (File:) so that the BJNP port gets installed and is selectable.

• Proposed as answer by Alershka Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:20 PM
    Wednesday, January 14, 2009 10:20 PM
  •  I'll try your sequence of steps and report my results!

Edit: Ok, this is weird. I went to Canon's site to download the latest driver as Alershka suggested, but when I picked the one for Vista x64 it said "file not found". Ok, now what...

Then, I looked at the printer properties and the port selection tab, intending to choose the File: port. However, the Canon BJNP port was already there and was already selected! Keep in mind, my attempts to set up a network connection earlier had seemingly failed and I resorted to setting it up as a USB printer, and printed successfully over a USB cable. Maybe successfully setting it up as a USB printer made the BJNP port available?

So, I just now removed the USB cable and tried to print over the LAN. It works!!

I'll re-install Win7 this weekend and see if the BJNP port shows up after my initial attempt to install the printer, and if I can duplicate Alershka's steps if not.
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:00 AM
  • no thats not it. In fact Im suprised he could print at all. I have a Kodak printer with the same issues. All up to date using the compatible drivers and latest firmware. Its definitely a win7 issue.
    zero061099
    Thursday, January 15, 2009 2:03 AM
  • Well that's great news.  I had never gone ahead and hooked it up via usb but I think that the results are the same: once you get through the printer install and it finds a port it can print to, it sets up the BJNP port.  If you try to set it up for network printing first or set it up to a port that it can't communicate with (such as LPT1), the network portion of the driver gets set up.

I'll keep my eyes on this to see how your reinstall goes.  Getting this printer up and running was really the last major hurdle for me.  I'm dual booting Vista but I plan to spend most of my time in Win7 now that I have most things running.

Thursday, January 15, 2009 4:21 PM
  • Ok, here's the latest results.

1. Clean re-install of Win7 beta.
    2. Tried to have Windows auto-detect the printer through the "Add Printer" tool. No success.
    3. Installed Canon driver and like before, the setup routine seems to detect the printer (reports correct IP address) but fails to complete.
    4. I abort the install and look for the printer in Devices and Printers. It shows the printer, but printer properties doesn't show the network port (BJNP) and printing a test page fails.

I re-boot and recheck. Same results as step 4. I try to re-install the printer driver in anticipation of setting it up to use USB, but this time, right after I click on the setup file, a dialog box pops up saying it has detected the printer (a Canon dialog box, not one from Win7).

I check the printer properties again and the BJNP port is now there and printing over the LAN works.

The scanner function is not detected, but at least the bloody thing prints now. I'll wait until Canon releases an updated driver before I expect complete functionality.
    Friday, January 16, 2009 3:43 AM
  • I initially tried using the drivers available on Canon's website, and had the same problem listed above.  So I ran the install from the original CD, and then the printer was available for network printing.

However I am also unable to scan anything using the MX700 with Windows 7.  The Windows 7 PC is listed on the scanner, but whenever I attempt to scan anything, or launch MP Navigator, I get a small "Insufficient Memory" box pop-up.  I have tried running the MP Navigator EX executable as administrator with a number of different compatibility options with no luck.
    Wednesday, March 25, 2009 10:43 PM
  • I just had the same issue with the "insuffecient memory" error message from MP Navigator. The fix for me was to download a copy of the twain_32.dll file from www.twain.org. Place the file in your \windows folder and try MP Navigator again.
    Thursday, March 26, 2009 8:31 PM
  • Had the same problem. Adding twain_32.dll to the Windowsfolder solved the problem. For people who don't want to search for it: Look Here.
    Wednesday, April 01, 2009 2:34 PM
  • The model number Canon PIXMA MX700.

Method 1:
    You may refer to the below links and use the troubleshooters. Check if it lists and helps resolve any issues: Open the Printer troubleshooter:
    http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer

Method 2:
    You may check if you have the latest drivers installed for the device. You may refer to the below link for getting the latest drivers and check –
    Canon PIXMA MX700 Driver

Good Luck.
    Thursday, April 12, 2012 12:28 PM