none
Word "file conversion" after Windows 7 Pro loaded

Question

• I recently loaded Windows 7 Pro.  Have had no problems except have found that whenever I click on a link for a text file I get a box once WORD opens saying "file conversion."  It appears that I am unable to view the file; picking the other types of conversions offered does not help.  Also then discovered that some files that I transferred over after upgrading to Win 7 will no longer open either.  Same box comes up, and Word cannot open the files in a readable format.
    Any suggestions?
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 12:59 AM

Answers

• You didn't say anything about installing Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word. So can you clarify exactly what program you're using? It sounds as though you're actually talking about Microsoft Works word processor (which isn't Microsoft Word). If this is Microsoft Works what version are you using?  Is this the same exact program you're using on your old computer? Did you perform a Windows 7 upgrade or clean install? Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor prior to running the upgrade?

I'm thinking you did an upgrade with a system that had Microsoft Works preinstalled. From this thread, it appears you're going to have to reinstall that application but you'll have more work ahead of you. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/5bb473d5-ec85-4230-8a6e-67c8f925fb7e
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Hi Todddr,

You need to clarify the following questions first:

1.    What word processing software is in use, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Works or others?

2.    What version was used and what is the current version?

3.    What link do you mean?

You may refer to the following link to check if there is any helpful tool for word processing software converter.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=word+converter&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:42 AM

All replies

• You didn't say anything about installing Microsoft Office or Microsoft Word. So can you clarify exactly what program you're using? It sounds as though you're actually talking about Microsoft Works word processor (which isn't Microsoft Word). If this is Microsoft Works what version are you using?  Is this the same exact program you're using on your old computer? Did you perform a Windows 7 upgrade or clean install? Did you run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor prior to running the upgrade?

I'm thinking you did an upgrade with a system that had Microsoft Works preinstalled. From this thread, it appears you're going to have to reinstall that application but you'll have more work ahead of you. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprohardware/thread/5bb473d5-ec85-4230-8a6e-67c8f925fb7e
    MCSE, MCSA, MCDST [If this post helps to resolve your issue, please click the "Mark as Answer" or "Helpful" button at the top of this message. By marking a post as Answered, or Helpful you help others find the answer faster.]
    Wednesday, December 23, 2009 4:49 AM
  • Hi Todddr,

You need to clarify the following questions first:

1.    What word processing software is in use, Microsoft Word, Microsoft Works or others?

2.    What version was used and what is the current version?

3.    What link do you mean?

You may refer to the following link to check if there is any helpful tool for word processing software converter.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/results.aspx?freetext=word+converter&displaylang=en&stype=s_basic

Good luck!

Arthur Li - MSFT
    Thursday, December 24, 2009 5:42 AM