none
Windows 7 USB mouse compatibility error

Question

• I have an older Compaq Presario V2000 laptop that I installed the windows 7 beta on.
    it worked great for about 2 weeks, at which point my mouse (general blue microsoft USB optical mouse)
    stopped working.
    I tested the mouse on a different computer and it worked fine. So I tested my USB ports with other
    devices, such as a thumb drive, digital camera, etc...  and those things all worked fine.  I tested a logitech mouse and a dell mouse and neither of them worked.
    I uninstalled my USB controllers and let windows re-install them. Still didn't work.
    I downloaded Microsoft mouse drivers and they did nothing.
    I'm completely out of ideas, and I can't understand how the USB ports can work
    with any device but a mouse.
    Any Ideas would be great.
    Sunday, March 08, 2009 3:52 AM

Answers

•  

Hi,

Please try to take the following steps to replace related USB inf file

1.      Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows 7 computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2.      Reboot the computer and connect the external USB hard drive and Check if it gets detected and works fine.

If it doesn’t work, please try to take the following suggestion.

Manually redirect the driver

=======================

1. Click Start Button, open device manager

2. Navigate to HID-devices, right click Unknown Device, choose search for drivers.

3. Install driver manually locating the file pointing to C:/Windows/Winsxs. Click OK

4. After successful installation, Reboot the machine.

Does it work?

Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:43 AM

All replies

•  

Hi,

I have the following suggestion.

Suggestion:

====================

1. Click the Start Button, type regedit in the "Start Search" text box and then press ENTER.

2. Navigate to the following key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}

3. Right click the {4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} entry, choose "Export", select Desktop in the Save in box and type backup in File Name. Click Save.

Please Note: The backup file is on the Desktop and named backup.reg. We can simply restore the registry by double-clicking the backup.reg file.

4. Highlight this key ({4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}), on the right pane, and then check if Upperfilters and Lowerfilters value are present. If so, please right click on the values and select "Delete" to remove them.

5. Restart the computer

If the issue still persists, could you please boot in Safe Mode and let me know if mouse work in Safe Mode?

Thanks.

Tuesday, March 10, 2009 8:38 AM
  • go into device manager and system devices and check the properties of each USB Root Hub. in the power management tab i'm sure the check box is checked that says let windows put the device to sleep. driving me crazy with my blackberry and it seems to default to this whenever you reboot
    Wednesday, March 11, 2009 7:38 PM
  • Thank you both for your responses.
    First, I tried the power Management tab in my device manager/usb Root hub.
    the check box to allow windows to put device to sleep was checked, but unchecking did nothing.

Next, I checked regedit as suggested by Robinson Zhang. 
    I deleted upperfilters, however lowerfilters did not exist.
    This did not help either.

I booted to safe mode and still have no USB mouse functionality.

Some additional info that may be important:
    When I plug in any mouse, microsoft, logictech or dell,
    I am getting an "unknown device" installed in my USB section of the device manager.
    The device specifically says there are no drivers installed for it, and the update
    driver button cannot find drivers for the device.
    this condition existed before I did any of the aforementioned changes.

It appears that other USB devices now have stopped working as well.
    Thursday, March 12, 2009 2:37 AM
  •  

Hi,

Please try to take the following steps to replace related USB inf file

1.      Please copy usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF (c:\windows\inf) from another known Windows 7 computer to problem computer. (You also can upload them from another known computer to your email and download them to problem computer)

2.      Reboot the computer and connect the external USB hard drive and Check if it gets detected and works fine.

If it doesn’t work, please try to take the following suggestion.

Manually redirect the driver

=======================

1. Click Start Button, open device manager

2. Navigate to HID-devices, right click Unknown Device, choose search for drivers.

3. Install driver manually locating the file pointing to C:/Windows/Winsxs. Click OK

4. After successful installation, Reboot the machine.

Does it work?

Thursday, March 12, 2009 9:43 AM
  • I am having nearly the same problem with my Toshiba Satellite X205-sli3 laptop and when I go into device manager i can see the intel usb ports but below them i get the same amount of Usb Root Hub all of which have a yellow triangle on them. I have been able to get them to work once however when I restarted it ust went back to default. Wha I did to get them to work was uninstall all of my usb ports then instal my hardware config utility then restart then run the trouble shooter which brought all of the triangles back but it was reading my external hard drive. So i hop ethat someone can maybe come up with a solution with what I found.
    Tuesday, August 04, 2009 3:41 AM
  • I am having the same issue with my Blackberry and my Logitech webcam, but the USB mouse and a USB external HDD are both working ok.  I've gone through the steps described by Robinson Zhang and continue to have the same problems.

tried so far: I copied the usbstor.inf and usbstor.PNF from another Windows 7 box, both of which were different from what was installed previously...with no change in behavior.  I assume these are storage-related USB drivers?
    Manually redirected the driver of the Unknown Device (in USB controllers, not HID-devices) and the driver installation dialogue says that the latest driver is installed.
    Uninstalling the USB host controller and letting it reinstall itself after a reboot does not fix it.

I've checked the registry for the upperfilters and lowerfilters settings but the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E96F-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} appears to be for the mouse only.

The USB root hubs do not have the power management checkbox described here.

Manually installing the driver for the devices requires that I de-select "show compatible hardware" in the "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer" and select the device from the list.  Selecting the correct device driver installs the device with the proper name etc, but gives me a "device cannot start" Error 10.

Any thoughts?
    Sunday, September 20, 2009 1:57 PM
  • When all of this was said and done for me, I reinstalled XP onto my laptop and my USB ports still weren't working.  Eventually,
    none of the ports worked with any device.  I'm nearly positive at this point that my problem was hardware failure.  In any case,
    I'm positive that my problem wasn't windows 7 related.  It does seem like your devices beginning to fail sounds a lot like the
    progress that mine went through.  Hopefully that's not the case, and you find a solution, but I don't have any other ideas for you.
    Good luck.
    Monday, September 21, 2009 3:12 PM
  • Well, good job on re-installing XP, but you may need to reload your MB drivers as well. I am having the same problem with 7 as well. The only usb devices that currently work on all 5 of my windows 7 machines are the ones that i had connected during installation. There is no possible way to make any other usb device work after installation of windows 7. and if you unplug your usb device and plug it back in....beware of fatal errors!!!! for those of you offering advice on how to make usb devices work on windows 7, i have 2 questions for you......1. Are you using windows 7? and 2. Have you even tried to plug in a different usb device? i seriously doubt it!  Thanks Bill Gates for another failed product offered to the world for a exploiting price!!!!
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 11:59 AM
  • I love this one Robinson......I have 7 windows 7 machines, which none of the usb functionality is operational. I'm not trying to be rude, but why copy one fail file/driver from one machine, and transfer it to another?.....please see my comment below......
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 12:02 PM
  • Well, good job on re-installing XP, but you may need to reload your MB drivers as well. I am having the same problem with 7 as well. The only usb devices that currently work on all 5 of my windows 7 machines are the ones that i had connected during installation. There is no possible way to make any other usb device work after installation of windows 7. and if you unplug your usb device and plug it back in....beware of fatal errors!!!! for those of you offering advice on how to make usb devices work on windows 7, i have 2 questions for you......1. Are you using windows 7? and 2. Have you even tried to plug in a different usb device? i seriously doubt it! 

Jason - Please start a new thread for your issue, and let me know the make/model of your PC.  Please also post details on which devices are working and which ones aren't.  And I'd definitely love to know what devices cause your machine to crash when you unplug them.  Look in c:\windows\minidump, grab the files there, and post them to a public folder on http://skydrive.live.com.  Post the link in your new thread and I can look at them and hopefully help you get this figured out.

Thanks,
    Mark
    Want to know if your current hardware & software will work with Windows 7? Check out these links: **Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor ** **Windows 7 Compatibility Center**
    Sunday, November 01, 2009 3:51 PM
  • I have experienced some odd usb mouse/keyboard issues myself. I have a 2 year old compaq presario desktop. Works fine with a usb mouse/keyboard on the original xp install and the upgrade to vista. However, when I did an install of Windows 7 I have had fun. It started with periods when they worked ok [though not very often], then I had periods where it would work ok for a short period then not at all, especially if I had left the pc alone for a while. Recently I had to go back to ps2 mouse and keyboard. I tried a number of things [disable usb from the power shut down profile]. I updated drivers, etc, with mixed success.

Anyway, I seem [fingers crossed] to have sorted it out. I went to the compaq website and could see no Windows 7 updates for my particular pc. So, I went into Vista, downloaded the latest VISTA based bios upgrade [I had an out of date one], installed it. Rebooted to Windows 7 and now  it seems to work fine. Odd that the bios was to fix vista issues not windows 7. My problem did not exist in vista but did in windows 7! So a little lateral thinking [well, I should have just upgraded the bios anyway so not that clever] sorted me. 
    Monday, November 09, 2009 6:10 PM
  • To all with the same or similar problems  i.e. USB wired mouse freezes intermittently (about 3-6 seconds).

NB:

1. I have a Dell latitude D620 - over 4 yrs old - plugged into a docking station. I use both an external (wired) USB keyboard and mouse.

2. When mouse "cursor" stops moving I can touch the laptop touch pad or anykey on the laptop and the cursor is free again.

3. I have a dual boot with XP and Win 7. The same devices work flawlessly in XP. Reboot into Win 7 and seconds later, cursor stops moving. Actually, the more you use the mouse, the shorther the intervals between freezing.

4. Also, keyboard keys seem to get "stuck" and a single letter will be typed repeatedly about 50 to 100 times or more until you tap the laptop key or touch pad!!

The problem is limited to the USB keyboard & USB mouse functionality - in Win 7 only. 

Therefore, I can eliminate the hardware with most certainty. This leaves the Win 7 USB drivers to be questioned!!

Sorry about not having a solution but I can say that my hardware is not the issue.

Any one with a similar scenario?

NB: I am typing this in XP!! (not XP mode - but, did anyone try XP mode as yet?)

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 5:15 PM
  • There are a lot of people experiencing this problem and Microsoft has yet to fix it.  I have a Toshiba laptop with Windows 7 and using a wired USB Microsoft mouse and it freezes at random quite often for couple seconds.  If you watch the Device manager it appears mine uninstalls and reinstalls the mouse during the freeze.  I've tried every suggestion from many forums and still does it.  I just uninstalled all windows updates and it's still doing it.  BS if you ask me.  Over a year now and still no fix for this most annoying problem.  A problem like this should have been delt with long ago.  I'm sure they know about it there's forums all over the web talking about usb mouse freezing.  Microsoft could care less though.  They're probably working on the next piece of ____ windows.  And yes I am typing this in XP too!  Go XP your the only successful Microsoft OS since windows 98!
    Tuesday, June 15, 2010 9:45 PM
  • Check out this thread this guy just nailed it!

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7performance/thread/01655e0a-1489-44e0-ad75-e9ee5486d91e

Guess Microsoft wants you to upgrade your mouse too to 2.0 at least!  Hope this works! worked for me!

Tuesday, June 15, 2010 10:06 PM