none
How do I find path to printer driver?

Question

• I am trying to network a Canon i850 printer (not USB) connected to a XP computer on my network to a new Windows 7 computer. When I select the printer in Win 7, Windows cannot find a driver and for manual entry asks for the path to the driver "*.inf".  I have downloaded the apparent required driver from Canon (aomwin110ea23us.exe) but when I run the executable file on my Win 7 computer it deposits the driver in an unknown location. Without the path the printer driver is not found by my Win 7 computer.
    Wednesday, June 02, 2010 10:03 PM

Answers

• Hi ron604,

I extracted aomwin110ea23us.exe file downloaded from Canon, however, there is no *.inf file included in this package. I also noticed that this is an add-on driver for this Canon printer which cannot be installed in Windows 7 directly. Therefore, you can try Windows Update and see if the driver can be downloaded. Also, you can download it HERE directly.

Once the printer driver is installed, you can install aomwin110ea23us.exe again for more printer functions.

By the way, it is always recommended contacting the hardware manufacturer directly for this kind of driver issues. J

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:37 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 8:21 AM

All replies

• Hi ron604,

I extracted aomwin110ea23us.exe file downloaded from Canon, however, there is no *.inf file included in this package. I also noticed that this is an add-on driver for this Canon printer which cannot be installed in Windows 7 directly. Therefore, you can try Windows Update and see if the driver can be downloaded. Also, you can download it HERE directly.

Once the printer driver is installed, you can install aomwin110ea23us.exe again for more printer functions.

By the way, it is always recommended contacting the hardware manufacturer directly for this kind of driver issues. J

Please Note: The third-party product discussed here is manufactured by a company that is independent of Microsoft. We make no warranty, implied or otherwise, regarding this product's performance or reliability.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Linda

• Marked as answer by Linda Yan Tuesday, June 08, 2010 2:37 AM
    Thursday, June 03, 2010 8:21 AM
  • Hi Linda,

I am also struggling with getting my new Windows 7 laptop print wirelessly to a Canon i560 which is connected via USB to an XP pc. The add-on driver that you point to in Windows Update is what I believe is called a cabinet file. I have no idea how to install that. Any suggestions? Thanks

Friday, June 18, 2010 12:52 AM
  • I am trying to network a Canon i850 printer (not USB) connected to a XP computer on my network to a new Windows 7 computer. When I select the printer in Win 7, Windows cannot find a driver and for manual entry asks for the path to the driver "*.inf".  I have downloaded the apparent required driver from Canon (aomwin110ea23us.exe) but when I run the executable file on my Win 7 computer it deposits the driver in an unknown location. Without the path the printer driver is not found by my Win 7 computer.

For Ron604 and Rumin,

I have a Canon i850 printer attached via USB to an XP computer on my home network.  I recently added a Win7 computer and (tonight) successfully added the printer to Win7 and printed a few pages.  I followed badaxle's procedures exactly (they're for XP to Vista, but they worked Win7 to XP for me).  The link to these instructions is:

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/vistahardware/thread/50467083-9038-40a1-8c00-fa445a94cac4

for a topic titled "Printer on network with XP and Vista computers ".  Please note that I did *not* download anything to the new Win7 computer -- it got the necessary drivers from the XP machine.  Very simple once I got the right procedure -- only took a minute to install and print a test page.  Thanks go to badaxle...

Monday, June 21, 2010 4:31 AM
  • Linda,

I hope this is not too late to get a reply. I have the same issue. Just got a Dell OInspiron 7010 laptop running W7 (64). I have a Canon i560 connceted to a desktop running Win XP. I want to use the printer from my lapop over the network using the desktop as I had with my previous laptop. It goes over a network and prints via the desktop.

I assume a generic printer driver is included in the W7 package. However, it appears that the driver doesn't load without the OS detecting a new device connected to the system. You're correct in saying that the Cannon file is only an enhancement to the generic driver. So how do I get the driver loaded without connecting a printer? I looked in System32>drivers and System32>DriverStore but nothing jumps out as a printer driver. Can you identify the driver name and path and perhaps some tips as to how to get it loaded? I'll run the Canon exe after I get it loaded.

Thanks in advance for the help

Bob

Friday, January 21, 2011 10:20 PM
  • Hi,

I found a USB cable and connected the printer directly to the laptop. As I anticipated the printer driver loaded automaticall as did the Canon enhancement from the WEB. This results in the printer appearing as a local printer that is offline when the cable is disconnected. The Canon functions are there for controlling the printer.

However I have a problem when I try to connect the laptop to the printer over my home network via my desktop. I do Control Panel>Devices and Printers>add a printer>add a network, wireless or bluetooth printer. This results in window that shows the local printer along with 4 printer it identifies over the network that are present on the desktop.identified as Printer on "desktop name",  Printer4 on "desktop name",  Printer8 on "desktop name" and  Printer10 on "desktop name". Printers 4, 8 & 10 relate to programs running on the desktop that have no relevence. The one called Printer on "desktop name" is identified as the Canon i560 but the process says it can't find a driver since it only looks on the web and not the local machine. I can load the driver from the laptop if I knew its name and location.

So how do I find this driver on the laptop?

Thanks.

Bob

Saturday, January 22, 2011 10:25 PM