none
Application Deployed run only when a user is logged on not behaving as expected. RRS feed

• Question

• Hi,

I have an application i have created and am testing.  I want to to only install when there is a logged on user.  In the deployment type, user experience tab, i have the install behavior set to install for system and the logon requirement is set to only when a user is logged on.  I have this app deployed to two test machines i know no one is logged on to, but when i run a machine policy refresh and app deployment eval remotely it runs the installation.  Why is this?  Am i missing something? I usually deploy everything with or without a user logged on so have never tested this. 

Thursday, December 5, 2019 11:49 PM

Answers

• Locked is still logged on thus what you've just described is normal and expected.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:37 PM

All replies

• Sometimes it can be a little hit and miss, I hardly use it too. The client will eventually realise and install the application. Try logging back into the device once it's had a policy update.

I must admit I have not needed to use this in years so maybe it's a lot better in the current version of the product.

Do they really need to be logged in if its installing in system context?

You could also use the PowerShell Application Deployment Toolkit to do what you need. There is an inbuilt variable and function for logged on user.

Richard Knight | Collection Refresh Manager | Automate detection rules for patch \ msp files | Twitter

Friday, December 6, 2019 10:07 AM
  • Well the thing is I wasn't trying to get it to install yet.  I never logged on, and yet it installed regardless.  Yes i do need a user logged on for it to install.  And if there is no user logged on it will fail. Unfortunately a piece of it needs user interaction, i dont care what particular user does it however so just have it set to install for system.  ill keep playing around with it.  I could have sworn i have forgotten to change that setting "to whether a user is logged on or not" before in other deployments and then i see devices as in progress waiting for user logon under the deployment status, but maybe im mistaken. 

Friday, December 6, 2019 2:53 PM
  • I have never seen Configuration Manager install an application with no user logged on when set to only run when a user is logged on.

Regarding your last point, I have seen that on a single device here or there out of thousands but again it always sorts its self out.

Richard Knight | Collection Refresh Manager | Automate detection rules for patch \ msp files | Twitter

Friday, December 6, 2019 3:59 PM
  • Well it definitely did try to install both times i ran a policy refresh and app deployment eval via right click tools even though i was not logged in.  ill delete the deployment and retry it, I didn't find any logging for the deployment type properties about installing when a user is logged on, or anything about a log on event being triggered.
    Sunday, December 8, 2019 11:44 PM
  • Ya created a new deployment and same thing.  deployed to my personal laptop after 730pm. I had already left and my screen was locked, got in today and it saw  it tried to install at 745pm.  It definitely isnt working like it should.
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:11 PM
  • Locked is still logged on thus what you've just described is normal and expected.

Jason | https://home.configmgrftw.com | @jasonsandys

Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:37 PM
  • Yeah i just realized that.  Dumb mistake.  Ill have to add logic in the app.  
    Tuesday, December 10, 2019 3:54 PM
  • Hi,

Thank you very much for your sharing and feedback. Here's a short summary for the problem.

Problem/Symptom:
    ===================
    Application Deployed run only when a user is logged on not behaving as expected.

Solution:
    ===================
    Locked is still logged on, so Configuration Manager install the application that the logon requirement is set to only when a user is logged on.

Best regards,
    Simon

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Thursday, December 12, 2019 3:05 AM