none
Windows Update not respecting Local Group Policy settings RRS feed

• Question

• I've configured local GP on a non-domain joined Windows 10 1809 computer to defer Windows feature updates for 250 days and also to select the "Semi-Annual Channel". I did this in Computer Configuration -> Administrative Templates -> Windows Components -> Windows Update -> Windows Update for Business -> Select when Preview Builds and Feature Updates are received.

However, Windows Update still tried to install 1903 when I clicked "Check for updates". When I go into the Windows Update advanced options, it shows Semi-Annual Channel (Targeted) and no feature update deferral period. So it is clearly not listening to the GPO setting.

Is this a bug? And if so, what's the fix/workaround?

Thanks!

P.S. I cannot post a screenshot as I get this error: "Body text cannot contain images or links until we are able to verify your account." If a mod could please verify my account, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thursday, November 7, 2019 4:55 PM

All replies

• Hi,

Based on my research, your options may be used to delay the installation of feature updates.

The past has shown, however, that feature updates may get installed anyway even if you set the system to defer them.

Looks like the only way to control the installation of feature updates is to use WSUS.

For your reference:

https://www.ghacks.net/2018/09/27/how-to-delay-feature-updates-in-windows-10/

Note: This is a third-party link and we do not have any guarantees on this website. And Microsoft does not make any guarantees about the content.

Besides, you could verify your account here:

https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/dc4002e4-e3de-4b1e-9a97-3702387886cc/verify-account-42?forum=reportabug

Best Regards,

Farena

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Friday, November 8, 2019 3:05 AM
  • Local Group Policy is a basic version of Group Policy for computers not included in a domain. The Local Group Policy settings are stored in the following folders:
    C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicy
    C:\Windows\System32\GroupPolicyUsers.

1. Open an elevated command prompt.
    2. To force apply only the changed policies, type or copy-paste the following command: gpupdate
    3. To force update all policies, run the command: gpupdate /force

The commands above will update both User Group Policies and Computer Group Policies simultaneously.

S.Sengupta,Microsoft MVP Windows and Devices for IT, Windows Insider MVP

Friday, November 8, 2019 3:17 AM
  • Hi,

Was your issue solved?

If the reply helped you, please remember to mark it as an answer.

If no, please reply and tell us the current situation in order to provide further help.

Please remember to mark the replies as answers if they help.
    If you have feedback for TechNet Subscriber Support, contact tnmff@microsoft.com.

Monday, November 11, 2019 8:45 AM