none
Trust Relationship between PC and Domain broken\failed after System Restore

Question

• We are currently faced with a problem that every time we do a System Restore on our Windows 7 workstation, upon login attempt, we an login failed because the Trust Relationship between PC and Domain is broken. 

As solution: we have to log in as a local admin,  remove the workstation account from the domain, then re-add the workstation back to the domain.

Does anybody know if there is a hotfix for this or how we can bypass having to remove and re-add the workstation to the domain in order to login?

Thursday, November 18, 2010 2:12 PM

Answers

• What do you mean by System Restore? Are you restoring back to a time before the PC was joined to the domain?

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:36 PM

All replies

• What do you mean by System Restore? Are you restoring back to a time before the PC was joined to the domain?

Kerry Brown MS-MVP - Windows Desktop Experience
    Thursday, November 18, 2010 11:36 PM
  • What I mean is that I go back to a restore point just a few days old (4-5 days).
    No, I do not go back to a point before the PC was joined to the domain. I am experience this every time I would have to perform a system restore, using whichever client PC that is currently located in our network

DC OS: Server 2008
    Client OS: Windows 7

Rainton Varsovia
    Monday, December 13, 2010 6:32 PM
  • Yes, this has been happening with our workstations as well.

Restoring to a point just a day or so old, long after the workstation was joined to the domain.

Clients: Windows 7

Server: Windows 2008 and Windows 2008 R2.

All clients and servers running with most current windows updates.

Thursday, February 23, 2012 6:58 PM
  • Anyone have an answer to this?  It's happening here too!

HALP!

Thursday, April 05, 2012 7:45 PM
  • happening to me on sbs2011, restored a couple machines and received this error
    Monday, June 11, 2012 12:21 PM
  • I have this problem as well - Dell just replaced a users harddrive under warranty and we restored the system to its clean state after it was originally setup and joined to our domain. But now it cannot be joined due to this trust relationship - deleting the computer account in AD before recreating, still doesn't work...?Help?

- but I have another question as well - why do MS moderators keep marking unanswered questions like this as answered?

Nick

Monday, July 23, 2012 5:44 AM

• - but I have another question as well - why do MS moderators keep marking unanswered questions like this as answered?

Nick

Because MS cares about their customers only slightly less than the US Congress cares about their constituents.

The post marked as the answer is a question. This is tech support, not zen koan training academy. What's even worse is the OP answered this question "no". So it unambiguously was not the answer.

Forum users, I suggest when you find things marked as answer which are clearly not the answer, you report them as abuse. Because it is abusive to the customer to do this.

Wednesday, May 01, 2013 2:29 PM
  • I just had the same problem with a PC I needed to restore today.  This PC has been part of the same domain for over a year.  I restored the PC to a month ago, and the trust was broken between it and the domain.  I do not understand why this happens.  It is a major issue because restoring is a very useful tool for when apps malfunction. 
    • Edited by Leiter1212 Friday, January 03, 2014 11:25 PM
    Friday, January 03, 2014 11:24 PM
  • Have you checked on when the computer last checked in and changed the computer account password with the domain?  When a computer changes it's password, Active Directory will store only the current password and it does not expire.  The workstation will store both the current password and the previous password.  This for cases when you may restore Active Directory to a point before the computer password change.  

To handle this, the workstation will try it's current password, then it's previous.

If you're restoring the workstation to a previous point in time, you may be rolling the stored passwords back too far for Active Directory to accept.  I would only imagine this to be the case a handful of times if you're going back 1-2 days.

Are you experiencing 100% failure?

Saturday, January 04, 2014 1:42 AM