none
activation problem!(can i transfer the activation to another computer?) RRS feed

• Question

• hi..do you?,,if i installed my windows to another computer can i used the same activation code?but i will no longer used the same windows at my first computer(i reformatted it by other copy of windows).i have a problem of activating my new installed windows to my new computer,it says: "The product key you type is already in use." is there any way i can do to fixed this problem?(other than phone activation).thank you for your answers and comments. i hope you will do one.
    Monday, August 18, 2008 7:07 AM

Answers

•  

You will need to call the activation help desk - the numbers are in the Window where you get your error message. If you have already installed the retail copy of Windows to one piece of hardware, and want to transfer to another machine then the call is necessary as a different hardware has would be generated.

Just explain to them what you are trying to do and they will be able to help.

Thanks,
    Richard

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Hello,

In the event of significant hardware change, as would be the case in a complete system change, you will need to call the appropriate activation hotline.  You can obtain the correct number by doing the following.

1. Click the Start button
    2. Click on Run
    3. Type "cmd" and then click OK
    4. From the command line type "slui 4" (minus the quotations) and then hit ENTER

5. Follow the onscreen instructions

Regards,

Andy C [MSFT]

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:13 PM

All replies

•  francedave wrote:
    hi..do you?,,if i installed my windows to another computer can i used the same activation code?but i will no longer used the same windows at my first computer(i reformatted it by other copy of windows).i have a problem of activating my new installed windows to my new computer,it says: "The product key you type is already in use." is there any way i can do to fixed this problem?(other than phone activation).thank you for your answers and comments. i hope you will do one.

If I understand you correctly, you are in the following situation:

You have 2 computers (Computer A and Computer B)

You have 2 copies of Windows (Product key A and Product Key B)

You had product Key A on computer A

You formatted computer A and installed Product key B on it

You bought, built, or otherwise received computer B and want to install product key A on it

Now you are having activation problems with computer B using product key A because product key A used to be assigned to computer A

I've done exactly the same thing you are trying to do.  You will have to call the activation center to get that corrected.*

* if using Vista, you can correct that issue using the telephone number IF and only if you weren't using the OEM System Builder's version. The OEM version is tied to the hardware it was originally installed on and you are not allowed to change it. The upgrade and full versions can be moved to new hardware.

Monday, August 18, 2008 12:52 PM
  •  

You will need to call the activation help desk - the numbers are in the Window where you get your error message. If you have already installed the retail copy of Windows to one piece of hardware, and want to transfer to another machine then the call is necessary as a different hardware has would be generated.

Just explain to them what you are trying to do and they will be able to help.

Thanks,
    Richard

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 3:47 PM
  • Hello,

In the event of significant hardware change, as would be the case in a complete system change, you will need to call the appropriate activation hotline.  You can obtain the correct number by doing the following.

1. Click the Start button
    2. Click on Run
    3. Type "cmd" and then click OK
    4. From the command line type "slui 4" (minus the quotations) and then hit ENTER

5. Follow the onscreen instructions

Regards,

Andy C [MSFT]

Tuesday, September 23, 2008 7:13 PM
  • Hi:

I bought two versions of Windows 8.  One was installed on my touch screen only to be uninstalled because my spouse did not want it.  I still have the installation key from the touch screen computer - which I learn since Windows is a 1:1 ration for installation, I could use Windows 8 again on another computer -  and would like to install it on my laptop, but I do not see where is a link to install Windows 8.  Is there a way I could transfer Windows 8 (the one uninstalled) to the laptop?

Than you  very much for your help.

Thursday, May 2, 2013 2:26 PM