none
WDS server not responding with network boot program RRS feed

• Question

• I have a fresh install of WDS on Windows Server 2008 R2.  I'm trying a PXE network boot from a laptop (HP EliteBook).  DHCP and WDS are running on different servers.  The servers are in one subnet, the client is in another.  DHCP appears to be passing through our router fine (I've configured the requisite ip helper addresses).  A DHCPDISCOVER request comes from the client, the client then receives two DHCPOFFERs (one from our DHCP server which contains the IP address and another from the WDS PXE server).  I've performed a network trace and found that the DHCPOFFER that is being extended to the client does not contain a network boot file.  The only PXE-relevant option that is present in the offer is 60, which has "PXEClient" as its value.  I've checked using the WDSUTIL command line tool and the registry directly--I have a NBP specified for every architecture.  I've tried specifying both the .n12 and .com NBPs.   If I specify the PXE boot file and server manually in my main DHCP server's scope, the laptop will boot (but only after a lengthy multicast TFTP timeout).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to why a NBP isn't contained in the PXE server's DHCPOFFER?
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 9:19 PM

Answers

• Figured this out.  It was due to DHCP option 43 being specified in the DHCP server's (not the WDS server's) DHCPOFFER.
    • Marked as answer by bigzig Wednesday, February 17, 2010 3:49 PM
    Tuesday, February 16, 2010 10:10 PM