none
Encryption Issue with Bitlocker RRS feed

• Question

• I have my window 10 laptop hard drive (SATA 2.5 inch 500GB) which I am trying to encrypt with Bit locker. Everything was going good till 81.3%. However it is stuck and says 81.3% (complete) . it look around 3 hours to reach from 0% to 81.3% and it stuck there for another 3 hours.

How I can cancel the encryption process and decrypt it back to 100%

I have the recovery key and password.

• Edited by Vishal851 Friday, May 29, 2020 5:24 AM
    Friday, May 29, 2020 4:19 AM

All replies

• Hello,

The best option is to wait and let it complete.

But if you do want to wait, click on close icon and cancel encryption. Check the drive status, if it shows encrypted, decrypt it first. Then you can encrypt it back. The encryption time may depend upon amount of data you've on the drive.

Good luck!

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Friday, May 29, 2020 6:54 AM
  • Hi, 

Here is a similar thread with your issue, please see Full drive encryption with Bitlocker freezes at 99.9%

If you want try the marked answer's action, please create a system restore point at first if you encrypted C drive. Or back up data drive if you encrypted with Bitlocker on this drive to make sure you could restore your data.

Please note: The mentioned product is owned and operated by a third party. Microsoft has no control regarding to the product's performance and reliability.

Bests,

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

Friday, May 29, 2020 9:04 AM
  • I waited the whole night, it is still stuck at same location.

I don't see any icon to close encsryption. Can you please send the snap shot or something?

I am not able to send the snap shot of my screen

Friday, May 29, 2020 2:13 PM
  • it is an hard drive from a laptop which is not working and therefore I am trying to access it through another laptop. However I started encryption process accidentally, and after reading so many post  with this similar issues, I am more interested to simply cancel the encryption. unfortunately, I know how to start the decryption and I have the password and recovery key.

But having difficulty to cancel encryption and also not 100% sure, if pausing the encryption is same as cancellation (as I want to start decryption)

Bit locker window says that I need to pause encryption before I take out my hard drive out. I only see option to pause (not cancel). when I click on pause, the bit locker app become not responding for a minute and after that bit locker gets ok and green bar is moving again.

How do I know encryption is paused or not?

Is it safe to start decryption once encryption is paused? or encryption has to be cancelled? I

I am scared to start the decryption process when I am not 100% sure that encryption is paused/cancel or not.

• Edited by Vishal851 Friday, May 29, 2020 2:32 PM
    Friday, May 29, 2020 2:28 PM
  • Please find the required screenshot:

Regards.

Microsoft MVP (Windows and Devices for IT)

Windows Insider MVP

Windows Help & Support [www.kapilarya.com]

Saturday, May 30, 2020 6:16 AM
  • Hi,

Any update?

Bests, 

" Please note that new questions regarding ‘Windows 10 Installation, Setup, and Deployment’ could NOT be posted in this forum anymore. This thread could be followed up until Mar-30th. We will be moving your thread to Microsoft Q&A if the deadline is missed. Register our new platform Microsoft Q&A (Preview)! for new questions or discussion. Check more details on sticky post.

Tuesday, June 2, 2020 7:59 AM