Windows Server 2008 R2 boots into system recovery options after system power off/on RRS feed

• Question

• I have some systems have this issue. So I tried to use IPMI command to test those systems with power button cycle test.

After this test, I found that there are many systems had this issue. Those systems are booting to System Recovery Options and can't log in windows normal status even I reboot those systems. And some systems' windows were crash. I don't know this is windows issue or server HW issue. Anyone met this issue?

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:07 AM

Answers

• Hi,

Follow these steps to start your computer by using the “Last Know Good Configuration Feature”:

1. Start your computer.
    2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
    4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

If still don’t work, you may try solutions below to fix this issue:

Method 1:
    ===============

1. Insert the Windows 7 64bit installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 
    2. Press any key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, time, currency, and a keyboard or input method. Then click Next. 
    4. Click Repair your computer. 
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 
    6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click Repair your computer.
    7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2:

===============

1. Put the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 
    2. Press any key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, time, currency, and a keyboard or another input method. Then click Next. 
    5. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.  
    6. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Command Prompt. 
    7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER. 

Method 3:

===============

1. Put the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER. 
    8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER.
    9. Type Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All, and then press ENTER.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852
    Windows Server 2008 R2 only boots to Recovery Console
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/d5793904-7cbf-4980-8318-8aadd5b41bef

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Lawrence, Monday, August 27, 2012 1:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lawrence, Friday, September 7, 2012 2:20 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:13 AM

All replies

• Please refer suggestions from similar discussions and see if they help

Windows Server 2008 R2 stuck in recovery mode after power failure

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/5d8ad254-8162-45a7-8fef-becb486a02ac

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/winservergen/thread/d5793904-7cbf-4980-8318-8aadd5b41bef

Server 2008 R2 wont boot

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/be2b9527-e266-4f59-ab36-bc3190aca078

I do not represent the organisation I work for, all the opinions expressed here are my own.

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

- .... .- -. -.- ... --..-- ... .- -. - --- ... ....

Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:11 AM
  • Hi,

Follow these steps to start your computer by using the “Last Know Good Configuration Feature”:

1. Start your computer.
    2. When you see the "Please select the operating system to start" message, press the F8 key.
    3. When the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, use the ARROW keys to select Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent settings that worked), and then press ENTER.
    4. If you are running other operating systems on your computer, use the ARROW keys to select Microsoft Windows XP, and then press ENTER.

If still don’t work, you may try solutions below to fix this issue:

Method 1:
    ===============

1. Insert the Windows 7 64bit installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer. 
    3. Select a language, time, currency, and a keyboard or input method. Then click Next. 
    5. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, choose the drive of your Windows installation and click Next. 
    6. At the System Recovery Options Dialog Box, click Repair your computer.
    7. Click the operating system that you want to repair, and then click Next.
    8. In the System Recovery Options dialog box, click Startup Repair.

Method 2:

===============

1. Put the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disc in the disc drive, and then start the computer. 
    3. Select a language, time, currency, and a keyboard or another input method. Then click Next. 
    7. Type Bootrec /RebuildBcd, and then press ENTER. 

Method 3:

===============

1. Put the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disc into the disc drive, and then start the computer.
    2. Press a key when the message indicating "Press any key to boot from CD or DVD …". appears.
    3. Select a language, a time, a currency, and a keyboard or another input method, and then click Next.
    7. Type BOOTREC /FIXMBR, and then press ENTER. 
    8. Type BOOTREC /FIXBOOT, and then press ENTER.
    9. Type Drive:\boot\Bootsect.exe /NT60 All, and then press ENTER.

For more information please refer to following MS articles:

How to start your computer by using the Last Known Good Configuration feature in Windows XP
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307852

Lawrence

TechNet Community Support

• Proposed as answer by Lawrence, Monday, August 27, 2012 1:21 AM
    • Marked as answer by Lawrence, Friday, September 7, 2012 2:20 AM
    Wednesday, August 15, 2012 7:13 AM
  • Same issue solved quickly.  Go into the recovery console command prompt.  Go to root of the drive and do a 'dir /s startrep.exe'.  Go to the directory its in and run startrep.exe.   I would tell you where it is on the drive but already forgot.
    Thursday, September 6, 2012 9:22 PM
  • Thanks!

I have some questions. Which situation will cause the system recovery option condition?

System abnormal on/off?

Friday, September 7, 2012 5:56 AM
  • Hello Sender.

Please try to boot in safe mod (F8) for few mints. then take reboot again and in normally. im sure it will work properly. 

I faced the same problem in the same server 2008 r2

Saturday, April 26, 2014 5:07 AM
  • Thanks everybody!

In my case, I did the steps below, after booted with the Windows Server 2008 R2 installation disc.

On the Command Prompt repair  (Repair your computer / System Recovery Options):

1) Run Bootrec /RebuildBcd   - it didn't resolve.

2) Run x:\sources\recovery\StartRep.exe    - This works fine!!! My system is back!

Good Luck!

• Proposed as answer by laberko Saturday, July 25, 2020 8:43 PM
    Friday, February 15, 2019 10:55 AM
  • This doesn't work for me

Wednesday, March 13, 2019 3:34 PM