none
Virtual XP

Question

• I am currently running Vista Ultimate 32 bit. I know to use Windows 7 64 bit I will need to do a clean install. My question is regarding the "virtual XP" environment I've heard about. If I have software that ends up not working on a 64 bit environment, What are the capabillities of the virtual XP environment? Can that run as a 32 bit platform??? Or will I need to reinstall Windows 7 using the 32 bit platform to make these programs work?
    Friday, July 31, 2009 4:50 PM

Answers

• The following Microsoft products have the technical ability to only run 32-bit guest operating systems:

1. Virtual PC 2004 (all versions)
    2. Virtual PC 2007 (all versions)
    3. Virtual Server (all versions)
    4. Windows 7 Virtual PC (all versions)

There is confusion over the fact that there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the products mentioned above. The reason there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions is because some people will install the products on 32-bit Windows and others will install the products on 64-bit Windows. For example, if you install 64-bit Windows 7 on your physical machine, you should install a 64-bit version of one of the products mentioned above. We recommend that you install Windows 7 Virtual PC. But if your processor doesn't have Intel VT or AMD-V, then you should install Virtual PC 2007 Service Pack 1 or Virtual Server 2005 R2 Service Pack 1 instead. For another example, if you install 32-bit Windows 7, you must install a 32-bit version of the aforementioned products.

Installing a 64-bit version of any of the aforementioned products will never, ever allow you to run a 64-bit virtual machine. So, to specifically answer your question, your XP Virtual Machine on 64-bit Windows 7 is 32-bit. That is and always be true of all of your virtual machines in Windows 7 VPC, Virtual PC 2007, etc. There are no issues in running 32-bit virtual machines on 64-bit Windows operating systems.

If you have applications that only run on 32-bit platforms, you should install the applications into a 32-bit virtual machine. Virtual XP Mode allows applications installed in the XP virtual machine to be published to the Windows 7 start menu so they appear as if they are installed in the Windows 7 machine. You can find screen captures showing you XP Mode here: http://wildermuth.com/2009/07/25/Windows_7_-_XP_Mode_Walkthrough

The only Microsoft product that can run 64-bit guest operating systems is Hyper-V, which comes as either a free standalone product or as part of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Friday, July 31, 2009 6:26 PM

All replies

• I suggest you do a study for Virtualization and XP virtual machine support. XP mode in Windows 7 is a solution built using XP virtual machine. It should help to run many business applications which are not supported on Win7. Points to note, it supports only 32 bit XP, hence no 64 bit app support, but you can install it on 64 bit Win7.

As you said, you are running Vista 32, so most of the things should work without any issue on Win7. If you post specific requirement, forum can help for accurate answer.

Thanks, -Vinod -- "This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. You assume all risk for your use."
    Friday, July 31, 2009 5:00 PM
  • Thanks for such a quick response.

So if I understand you correctly, When running XP Virtual Machine on 64 bit Win7, it IS running in 32 bit mode? That being said, I shouldn't have an issue though I'll never really know until I try it.

Thanks again!

Friday, July 31, 2009 5:26 PM
  • The following Microsoft products have the technical ability to only run 32-bit guest operating systems:

1. Virtual PC 2004 (all versions)
    2. Virtual PC 2007 (all versions)
    3. Virtual Server (all versions)
    4. Windows 7 Virtual PC (all versions)

There is confusion over the fact that there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the products mentioned above. The reason there are 32-bit and 64-bit versions is because some people will install the products on 32-bit Windows and others will install the products on 64-bit Windows. For example, if you install 64-bit Windows 7 on your physical machine, you should install a 64-bit version of one of the products mentioned above. We recommend that you install Windows 7 Virtual PC. But if your processor doesn't have Intel VT or AMD-V, then you should install Virtual PC 2007 Service Pack 1 or Virtual Server 2005 R2 Service Pack 1 instead. For another example, if you install 32-bit Windows 7, you must install a 32-bit version of the aforementioned products.

Installing a 64-bit version of any of the aforementioned products will never, ever allow you to run a 64-bit virtual machine. So, to specifically answer your question, your XP Virtual Machine on 64-bit Windows 7 is 32-bit. That is and always be true of all of your virtual machines in Windows 7 VPC, Virtual PC 2007, etc. There are no issues in running 32-bit virtual machines on 64-bit Windows operating systems.

If you have applications that only run on 32-bit platforms, you should install the applications into a 32-bit virtual machine. Virtual XP Mode allows applications installed in the XP virtual machine to be published to the Windows 7 start menu so they appear as if they are installed in the Windows 7 machine. You can find screen captures showing you XP Mode here: http://wildermuth.com/2009/07/25/Windows_7_-_XP_Mode_Walkthrough

The only Microsoft product that can run 64-bit guest operating systems is Hyper-V, which comes as either a free standalone product or as part of Windows Server 2008 and Windows Server 2008 R2.

Friday, July 31, 2009 6:26 PM
  • This is great Information.  The problem I have is that I need an XP 64-bit VM to accommodate CAD software that I won't be able to upgrade until our customers upgrade theirs.  With OS support waning and my need for new hardware, this looked like a good answer until I found it wouldn't let me use a 64-bit OS.  Will there ever be 64-bit support?  Will Hyper-V be available to Windows 7?  Any hope for me?
    Saturday, September 12, 2009 12:18 AM
  •   I expect to see 64-bit support in VPC eventually, but not any time soon. In your case I would look at Sun's VirtualBox. It runs nicely on Windows 7, has the same look and feel as VPC and supports 64-bit guests.

Bill
    Sunday, September 13, 2009 11:37 PM