none
Printing error : Event ID 6161: Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 0

Question

• Hi,

Event Type:    Error
    Event Source:    Print
    Event Category:    None
    Event ID:    6161
    Date:        2/1/2011
    Time:        10:42:36 AM
    User:        domain\XuserX
    Computer:    \\server_name
    Description:
    The document R5548001A_LLM05D_920914.PDF owned by XuserX failed to print on printer DBFX3000-01. Data type: NT EMF 1.008. Size of the spool file in bytes: 132788. Number of bytes printed: 0. Total number of pages in the document: 1. Number of pages printed: 0. Client machine: \\machine_name. Win32 error code returned by the print processor: 0. The operation completed successfully.

I keep receiving above error for the past couple of weeks. It gets resolved once i restarted the print spooler. I tried all suggestions from http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/windows-server-troubleshoot-event-id-6161-print-spooler-status.aspx, none is working, except 'installing new printer driver,,.' because i'd like to understand why restarting print spooler resolve it temporarily if it's indeed because of bad drivers?

Adding on, it keeps occuring everytime users trying to print PDF files. Is this related GDI objects limitation?

FYI, the print server is running on W2K3 SP2 and printers are FX ApeosPort-II 3000/5010

-amir-
    Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:43 AM

Answers

• Normally all the tasks that GDI handles on the server will be handled by the client.  If you experience failures for a specific driver most likely a piece of the driver is not downloaded to the client.  You can enable this again or attempt to get all the parts of the print driver installed on the client.  I suggest just enabling GDI on the server for the drivers that show a problem with this configuration.

When you are running out of nonpaged pool you will see a bunch of SRV Warning events. 

The spooler crashes are normally caused by print drivers corrupting the memory of the spoolsv.exe process.   You can hit failures when the driver does not handle previous configuration settings and you are migrating to an updated version of the driver or during the printing process when the driver does not properly handle a specific type of job class.  

When the spooler restarts, the memory is reset.  It will grow as you have more clients connected to the server.

Alan Morris Windows Printing Team
    Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:16 AM
    Answerer

All replies

• Thanks for the technet  WIKI link, it's the first I heard if this.

GDI resources would be something to check.  If you are near the 10000 object limit you will also hit event 6162.  You can display the GDI objects any process uses in Task Manager.  Processes , View Columns, GDI Objects.  A busy print server should not have more that a couple 100.  If you see 0 you need to be logged onto the Console session.

GDI objects are per process so restarting any process resets the object count to 0.  I've never seen the GDI object leaks regarding PDF files. 

What is the print processor used by DBFX3000-01?  Installing the print driver will also install print processors and use them from the \system32\spool\prtprocs\w32x86\N directory.  New drivers are loaded from the \spool\drivers\w32x86\3\N until the next spooler restart where they will then NOT load from the temp directories.

Tuesday, February 01, 2011 5:51 PM
    Answerer
  • Thanks for the reply, Alan.

I've been monitoring the GDI resources for the whole week but it so far it stays between 22-27. And also, there is no event 6162 logged since this event 6161 occurs for the past couple of weeks. Can i safely say GDI resources is OK? Looking at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/919543, i starting to wonder if the EMF spool file size is also a contributing factor.

My previous statement is incorrect. What i'm trying to say is that i haven't tried installing new printer driver because i need to understand why the problem resolves (at least for couple of days..) after restarting the print spooler.

Please advice, thanks!

Tuesday, February 08, 2011 6:20 AM
  • Yes you are okay with the GDI resources.  Do NOT check Print Direct on a print server.  On the printer properties Advanced tab uncheck Enable Advanced printing features. This will force the document to be rendered on the client, then copied as RAW (in printer language format) to the print share then it will go out to the device.

If this failure required a machine restart, it could be nonpaged pool resource consumption (GDI also requires nonpaged pool allocations) but if stoping and starting spooler fixes this, that not be it.

If your EMF file gets to 2gig, GDI will fail.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/904563/

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 12:04 AM
    Answerer
  • By disabling Enable Advanced features, will it totally disable features such as Page Order, Booklet Printing, and Pages Per Sheet? or it will be rendered on the client side?

An hour ago, the print spooler service totally crashed (with event 7031) 4 times within 1/2hour. And also, i noticed the spoolsv.exe memory usage dropped from 230MB down to 25MB, GDI also reduced to 10-12. Is nonpaged pool resource consumption have anything to do with this? i havent monitor NP pool so far, until now.

Thanks!

Wednesday, February 09, 2011 4:44 AM
  • Normally all the tasks that GDI handles on the server will be handled by the client.  If you experience failures for a specific driver most likely a piece of the driver is not downloaded to the client.  You can enable this again or attempt to get all the parts of the print driver installed on the client.  I suggest just enabling GDI on the server for the drivers that show a problem with this configuration.

When you are running out of nonpaged pool you will see a bunch of SRV Warning events. 

The spooler crashes are normally caused by print drivers corrupting the memory of the spoolsv.exe process.   You can hit failures when the driver does not handle previous configuration settings and you are migrating to an updated version of the driver or during the printing process when the driver does not properly handle a specific type of job class.  

When the spooler restarts, the memory is reset.  It will grow as you have more clients connected to the server.

Tuesday, February 15, 2011 1:16 AM
    Answerer