Problem creating/renaming a folder on a network share with Win10 Anniversary Update (Error 0x8007003B) Continuation from Locked thread RRS feed

Answers

• I think we should as "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429)" appears to fix the problem.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:18 PM

All replies

• Thanks Susan, that's great. Keep us posted.

It appears the same bug is also present in File Explorer on Server 2016 (same 1607 build number).

Sunday, December 11, 2016 10:26 PM
  • Thanks Susan - hopefully they'll wake up soon.  I now have another office that is requesting I move them back to Windows 7.  I'd rather not keep doing Windows 7 installs if I can avoid it but I really can't blame them for wanting to go back.

Thanks again.

Monday, December 12, 2016 3:15 AM
  • Thanks Susan.
    Monday, December 12, 2016 4:25 PM
  • Let's hope this is fixed soon.

I am currently using the kludgey solution of automated clicking of the indexing pause button during working hours.

A patch for Windows 10 would be nice, but I think something should be done on the server (2012) side to to prevent this happening every time there is a major update.

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 2:18 AM
  • Thanks Susan for opening a case!  Please let us know if you hear anything new regarding the issue.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 5:00 PM
  • The fix for this is in the works and has not released in an update yet.  It will not be out before the end of the year.  I will post back when it goes out.

In the meantime, the workaround in KB 3198614 is still an option.

KB 3198614 Creating, renaming, or deleting a folder on a network share fails after upgrade to Windows 10 Anniversary Update
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3198614/EN-US

Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:12 PM
  • Thanks Chris. Great to hear something direct from Microsoft on this!

As you'd understand, disabling search indexing on constantly used network shares with 100000+ files is not an option for many businesses.

Looking forward to a permanent fix.

• Proposed as answer by BCT PRO Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:12 PM
    • Unproposed as answer by BCT PRO Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:12 PM
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 9:42 PM
  • Thank you for the follow up.
    Tuesday, December 13, 2016 11:34 PM
  • They've unlocked the old thread again by the looks.

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/windows/en-US/b72c763e-d029-4e65-a2dc-885a5aabf643/problem-creatingrenaming-a-folder-on-a-network-share-with-win10-anniversary-update-error?forum=win10itpronetworking

Monday, December 19, 2016 8:22 PM
  • Agreed!  We have clients with File Servers serving over 3 million documents.  Searching\Indexing is critical for them!

Tuesday, December 20, 2016 2:14 PM
  • I fired up an insider edition to prove to myself the fix is in the pipeline.  Because as others have stated this "workaround" of disabling indexing is painful.
    Wednesday, December 21, 2016 1:54 AM
  • Anxiously awaiting the fix for this!
    Thursday, January 5, 2017 10:48 PM
  • Throw me in with the rest of you.  Large accounting firm, Windows 10 using latest Build, Server 2012 R2 Essentials with Folder Redirection turned on, Explorer takes minutes to create folder and acts like it's going to crash before it finally finishes. 

Hey Microsoft, stop updating &!#$! apps in Windows and start fixing or enhancing parts of Windows that we actually use aka File Explorer

Sheesh

P.S.  They have unlocked the original thread.  Shouldn't have locked it to begin with, it's not like the problem is fixed.

Friday, January 6, 2017 5:07 PM
  • The backport of the fix for this is still in process.  It has not released in an update yet and will not be in the update releasing next week. 

The Windows Insiders Release Preview ring gets a preview of the patches a couple of weeks before the release goes out to the public.

I will post back when it goes out to the Release Preview ring for Insiders as this will give you some notice before it goes public and a chance to try it out if you have a machine enrolled in it.  Hang in there.

Friday, January 6, 2017 10:15 PM
  • Found another workaround. When you are about to create a folder and you remember that it won't work, Shift-right-click on the parent folder and choose Open command window here. Then use the "md" command to make the directory. Works instantly.
    Wednesday, January 11, 2017 10:40 PM
  • Like that's user friendly.  Not shooting the messenger but that's not a good workaround to my user base, "agile coding" should mean agility in fixing bugs as well.
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:00 AM
  • Believe me, I'm not happy with it either. It's just stunning that Microsoft broke, you know, working on a network, something that has worked fine since Windows 3. But I am not willing to give up indexing, so it's either this or keep a Windows 7 machine open (or an RDP session to the server) for whenever you want to create a server folder.

It would probably be possible to write a little batch script that prompts for a folder name and calls "md", then add that script to the context menu, but if the fix is really just around the corner, it may not be worth the time.
    Thursday, January 12, 2017 12:55 AM
  • I do wonder if MS realise the damage they get of an issue like this. Client responses to the MS 'fix' are to say that they have got to be joking, along with some suitable profanity, followed by "if they can break our network this easily now, what happens with the next 'update'?". Some clients have put off any Windows upgrades and reviewing their IT with a view to moving to Mac. Apple may be just as tricking in some areas, but to end users (and I quote) 'Apple just seems to work, whereas MS just breaks'. If that continues to be the end user perception, then clients are going to move platform. For the clients that are just using the office suite and web based apps, then it is becoming increasingly difficult to disagree.
    Friday, January 13, 2017 9:30 AM
  • I will agree with you JBaker07 that it does cause damage to Microsoft's reputation to allow such a big issue like this to fester for over 6 months.  I had been planning on rolling out Windows 10 to our office this last fall, but put the plans on hold indefinitely until I am confident this issue, and Windows 10 in general, isn't going to create a nightmare scenario for me and our organization.  I can't imagine the chaos this would have created for organizations that rolled to Win10 (1607) and still use network file shares.  My organization still uses them and I would imagine most still do, probably to Microsoft's dismay.

Friday, January 13, 2017 5:07 PM
  • I have been having this problem on a simple Windows 10 Home edition that has had the anniversary edition update and all other current updates applied.

I found that I had the problem when I used a Windows Explorer left hand column "Quick access" link to a folder where I wanted to create a new folder but NOT when I drilled down to the same folder using the "This PC" left hand column entry to get to the folder I wanted to create a new folder in.

The folder I tested this with is on a secondary internal drive ("E:"). It also has over 2,000 folders of pictures so it is quite a large folder itself but it never had any slowdown issues before so I don't suspect the folder size/complexity has anything to do with it.  Cursory testing of the same scenario on my primary ("C:") drive with a new test folder and sub-folders doesn't seem to show any similar slowdown in folder creation.

I don't seem to have a slowdown in deleting existing folders as others have reported though.

Saturday, January 21, 2017 8:45 PM
  • A fix for this issue is included in a Release Preview update offered to machines enrolled in the Windows Insiders Program Release Preview ring. It is KB 3216755.  If you have a machine enrolled in the Insiders Program, you can set the Insider level to Release Preview and do a Windows Update scan to get it.  There is no other manual download option that I know of.  Feel free to try it and provide feedback.
    • Proposed as answer by BillHoyt Friday, January 27, 2017 7:20 PM
    Tuesday, January 24, 2017 10:58 PM
  • 14393.726 release preview seems to have fixed the issue. Hallelujah! Thanks Chris!
    Thursday, January 26, 2017 8:12 PM
  • The KB 3216755 release preview package was made available on the Windows Update Catalog today.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/site/Search.aspx?q=3216755

This will allow you to get the fix on machines ahead of the February 2017 patch Tuesday update without having to enroll in Windows Insider.

I anticipate the February 2017 patch Tuesday update package will have a different KB number when it releases.

Thursday, January 26, 2017 11:20 PM
  • Will some good come of this?

Perhaps Microsoft could see a realization dawn that consumers testing pre-release code don't really cover all of the needs of business usage. 

We can only hope.

-Noel

Detailed how-to in my eBooks:  

Configure The Windows 7 "To Work" Options
    Configure The Windows 8 "To Work" Options
    Not feeling enough love to make one for Windows 10

Friday, January 27, 2017 5:09 AM
  • This Microsoft update finally fixed this new folder hanging issue for us (desktops with Windows 10 Pro / 64-bit with Windows Server 2012 R2 on file server using indexing):

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4004227/windows-10-update-kb3206632

Friday, January 27, 2017 7:18 PM
  • https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4013429

It appears to be finally in the MU channel in this release.  However it's not documented, but due to the cumulative model it's in there.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 2:53 AM
  • Thanks Susan for letting us know.  I just ran Windows Update and see it on there.  I am installing now, so we will see if it fixes it.

• Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429).
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 3:44 PM
  • Still trying to understand the Win10 update model. Is this right?

12/14/2016 Chris posted above that a fix is in the works but will not be out in 2016. He points to KB3198614, which recommends disabling Windows Search.

1/26/2017 Chris posted above that KB3216755 is available in the Update Catalog. I guess that was a preview release? He expected it to go live on February patch Tuesday. This fix is not listed in the KB.

2/14/2017 Patch Tuesday, but no Windows 10 updates.

3/14/2017 Patch Tuesday, KB4013429 is available on Windows Update. Because it includes earlier patches, this fix should be in there, though again it's not listed in the KB. KB3198614 has not been updated.

So it's 2-3 months after a fix is released that it actually makes its way into the normal update stream? And no way to install a specific fix earlier without installing all the other preliminary fixes.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:02 PM
  • The issue was compounded by the fact that the February release - where it should have been originally - got thrown out the door.

Windows 10 is cumulative fix, not hotfix-fix driven.  If 10 needs other fixes (and honey, did you look at what yesterday was fixing, that list was LONG), I would say we need the other ones just as much as all of us really needed this one.

That said we need to get that KB updated to reflect that the patch is now out.

Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:27 PM
  • This update definitely fixed the problem for me. I am now on build 14393.953
    Wednesday, March 15, 2017 4:47 PM
  •  The fix for this issue is in KB 4013429.   I'll get KB 3198614 updated to call this out.  Yes, KB 3216755 was a preview release.
    Thursday, March 16, 2017 4:29 AM
  • Should we mark this answered?
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:01 PM
  • I think we should as "Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1607 for x64-based Systems (KB4013429)" appears to fix the problem.
    Friday, March 17, 2017 5:18 PM