none
Master boot record error, press any key

Question

• Strange problem and I'm not convinced that its a Windows 7 problem. It occurs on an older HP media center PC I put Windows 7 on.

The error pops up on every boot right after the POST but if you hit any key it loads Windows with no problems. I have tried bootrec and have run a full chkdsk on it but no problems were found and the error is still there.

I don't really care about having to hit a key during startup but I'm wondering if this is something that is indicative of some imminent hardware failure or if there's a fix.

Thanks in advance!
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 4:49 PM

Answers

• Pressing any key would get on my nerves after a while. I would check my BIOS configuration and also try booting with the dvd to see if it can find somthing to repair.

Saturday, August 08, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Hi
    check the bios settings as above particularly the first choice of boot device as it could be trying to boot from another device other than your op sytem drive. If all this is ok insert the win 7 dvd , boot from it and do a repair of the boot record.
    That should clear it
    malc
    • Marked as answer by Octomom Monday, August 10, 2009 7:16 PM
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 8:16 PM

All replies

• Pressing any key would get on my nerves after a while. I would check my BIOS configuration and also try booting with the dvd to see if it can find somthing to repair.

Saturday, August 08, 2009 8:01 PM
  • Hi
    check the bios settings as above particularly the first choice of boot device as it could be trying to boot from another device other than your op sytem drive. If all this is ok insert the win 7 dvd , boot from it and do a repair of the boot record.
    That should clear it
    malc
    • Marked as answer by Octomom Monday, August 10, 2009 7:16 PM
    Saturday, August 08, 2009 8:16 PM
  • Thanks,

I'll double check the BIOS but I have already tried repairing the MBR and I still get the same error.

I have a feeling that it's something stupid, just have to find out what it is.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 2:50 PM
  • I get a similar error too.  Have you tried phonig HP support?
    Juraj
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 5:12 PM
  • There's a program called Easybcd (free) which lets you edit the bootstore and various repair options.
    You may want to try it.
    Sunday, August 09, 2009 11:00 PM
  • Well that was it. Not sure how but a secondary harddrive was listed as the first boot device in the BIOS. Thanks.
    Monday, August 10, 2009 7:16 PM