none
Blank Screen with cursor after login Windows 7, Unable to start new tasks

Question

• My problem is similar to the well know Windows 7 Black Screen as referenced by Prevx, though different. When I boot my Windows 7 computer, the login screen appears as always. Following entering the password for default user, the screen will give the impression of login, but the final result is a plain black screen with the cursor only. The black screen appears indefinitely and the Windows GUI never appears. The only available option from booting in normal mode with this is Ctrl-Alt-Del (Task Manager). From analyzing another computer with Windows 7 Professional, my Task Manager is missing the following user processes: dwm.exe, explorer.exe, and taskhost.exe. Additionally, it is missing the following system processes (possibly irrelevant): spoolsv.exe and wmiprvse.exe.

When I attempt to start a new process using Windows Task Manager, an error message will appear saying “Windows Task Manager has stopped working” and forces you to close Windows Task Manager. This includes starting any process such as cmd or explorer.

I attempted to boot into safe mode.  The result was the same as above. Then I attempted booting into safe mode with command prompt. This showed some hope. Following authentification from the login screen, the command prompt appears with the same blank screen with a cursor behind it. Initially I attempted to run msconfig.msc to run a clean startup. System Configuration Utilities opens briefly then displays the error same as above. “System Configuration Utility has stopped working” and again forces the program to close. Then I tried to open regedit. This works with no error messages! So I have access to the registry, but have no idea what I should modify to get my computer running normally.

Things I have tried:

1)    Restoring to last know good configuration. (No result)

2)    Repairing Windows configuration. (No result)

3)    Scanning the drive 3 separate times for viruses with both Avast and Symantec. (No viruses detected)

4)    Repairing the REG_SZ value HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon\Shell as proposed in http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itprogeneral/thread/5b94b775-992e-4f48-b3ff-c89b3cf45e82

5)    Executing Prevx’s fix file as proposed in http://www.prevx.com/blog/140/Black-Screen-woes-could-affect-millions-on-Windows--Vista-and-XP.html

Any ideas are much appreciated.

Thanks,

John

Sunday, March 13, 2011 4:40 PM

Answers

• The system should be corrupt by some reasons. Can you log on with the built-in Administrator in Safe Mode? If so, I suggest you create another administrator account and then log on with it. If it does not help, try System Restore in Safe Mode.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Same problem  I've found a solution.

#1 Hit fastly 5 time the left shitf button on your keyboard.

A windows will appaers to know if you want to caps lock. Keep it open
    #2 Alt-CTRL-Del

You have know your desktop

#3 Go on add-remove programme
    3a) Go on windows add-remove
    3b) Remove internet explorer
    ok-ok-ok - untill it's remove and ask to restart

#4 No more problem. You have to go on the net with chrome or firefox.

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:44 AM

All replies

• The system should be corrupt by some reasons. Can you log on with the built-in Administrator in Safe Mode? If so, I suggest you create another administrator account and then log on with it. If it does not help, try System Restore in Safe Mode.
    Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Tuesday, March 15, 2011 8:21 AM
  • Same problem  I've found a solution.

#1 Hit fastly 5 time the left shitf button on your keyboard.

A windows will appaers to know if you want to caps lock. Keep it open
    #2 Alt-CTRL-Del

You have know your desktop

#3 Go on add-remove programme
    3a) Go on windows add-remove
    3b) Remove internet explorer
    ok-ok-ok - untill it's remove and ask to restart

#4 No more problem. You have to go on the net with chrome or firefox.

Friday, March 18, 2011 3:44 AM
  • I had absolutely the same problem.

The solution that worked for me was the following:
    1. Boot into safe mode with command prompt.
    2. In the command prompt run "chkdsk /f /r"
    3. Reboot the computer from "Ctrl + Alt + Delete" screen as requested by the Chkdsk utility.

Right after that reboot the Chkdsk utility has checked the HDD and restored the faulty sectors, bringing the Windows back to life.

Sunday, January 15, 2012 8:18 PM
  • I tried the chkdsk /f /r and it did not work. I also see this being an issue with domain admins in a particular group in ad that is a part of the local admins group on the box that is getting the black screen with white cursor. login time is still 8-10 mins. Event Viewer shows other hints but none useful. Still looking for an answer.
    Wednesday, May 01, 2013 12:01 AM