none
Cannot Add Windows Features - Windows Module Installer Error 1450

Question

• Whenever I bring up the "Turn Windows features on or off" dialog, there are no items listed to select from. In the event viewer, I see two error messages:

The server {752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Windows could not start the Windows Modules Installer service on Local Computer.
    Error 1450: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.

Manually starting the Windows Module Installer (WMI) service generates the latter message.

I have the following applications installed:

Visual Studio 2008 Professional
    SQL Server 2008 Developer
    Adobe CS3
    Microsoft Office 2007
    Sunbelt Vipre

Any ideas on where to start looking?
    Sunday, February 01, 2009 5:33 AM

Answers

• I can't take credit for this, but I foud resolutin 

Resolution -

1) In the registry we must set the Registry Size Limit to "unlimited":

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control
    Key: RegistrySizeLimit
    Type: REG_DWORD
    Value: 0xffffff (4294967295)

2) Reboot

3) As a Administrator open a Command Prompt and run "SFC /SCANNOW". The command should complete successfully and if any errors were found, they should be corrected.

ON MY PC IT WORKS! GOOD LUCK!

Here is the link for a video, which explain in more detail how to fix this problem!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BQwnmK88Oo
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:16 AM
  • This issue occurs if related Registry components are corrupt or removed by incidents. Have you use any third party system optimizing program or Registry cleaner?

I suggest that you re-create the Registry class {752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}.

1. Launch Notepad.
    2. Paste the following content in Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}]
    @="Component Based Servicing Session"
    "AppID"="{752073A2-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}"

3. Save to Desktop, with the name CID.reg.
    4. On Desktop, launch the file CID.reg.

It may prompt that this task would modify the Registry. Please allow it to change.

If the issue still occurs, I suggest that you repair the system with In-place Upgrade.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:41 AM

All replies

• This issue occurs if related Registry components are corrupt or removed by incidents. Have you use any third party system optimizing program or Registry cleaner?

I suggest that you re-create the Registry class {752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}.

1. Launch Notepad.
    2. Paste the following content in Notepad.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}]
    @="Component Based Servicing Session"
    "AppID"="{752073A2-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}"

3. Save to Desktop, with the name CID.reg.
    4. On Desktop, launch the file CID.reg.

It may prompt that this task would modify the Registry. Please allow it to change.

If the issue still occurs, I suggest that you repair the system with In-place Upgrade.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Tuesday, February 03, 2009 6:41 AM
  • Thank you for the reply Arthur but I got your answer a day late.  I was in a "need to move on" mood and had already reinstalled of W7. Darn!
    Wednesday, February 11, 2009 4:09 AM
  • Hi Arthur - I realize that this is a Windows 7 forum, but I'm running into a similar issue on Server 2008 Standard.

I receive Event 10010:

The server {73E709EA-5D93-4B2E-BBB0-99B7938DA9E4} did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.

Followed by Event 10005:

DCOM got error "1053" attempting to start the service TrustedInstaller with arguments "" in order to run the server:
    {752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}

I'm running a Windows 2008 Standard (x86) server with somewhat similar apps - SQL Server 2005, many IIS features, .Net 1.1, and a couple of pieces of proprietary software based on those apps (ERS Lasertrak, Sonasoft Sonasafe).

Before I make the registry change you suggested, I wanted to confirm that the CID should in fact be inserted into HKLM.  When I ran a search for the AppID, I found it in the HCR branch.  If HKLM is the spot to put it, should I delete the branch from HCR or leave it in place?

Thanks!
    Friday, March 13, 2009 5:59 PM
  • Hi,

The Registry part of Windows 7 beta and Windows Server 2008 is different. I suggest that you post in our Windows Server 2008 forum for this issue.

Windows Server 2008 R2 General  Windows Server  Microsoft TechNet Forums

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Monday, March 16, 2009 5:07 AM
  • Hello Arthur,

I'm running into this same problem on the Windows 7 beta. I also noticed that I cannot use Windows Update -- trying gives the message "An error occurred while checking for new updates for your computer." Gives error code 80080005. When I do this I see the same error log  "Windows could not start the Windows Modules Installer service".

I checked the registry for the entry that you suggested I add, and it was there exactly like you suggested it should be. Even so I tried to update it as you instructed and it would not allow me to. It said that "some keys are open by the system or in use by other resources."

Do you have any other suggestions? I installed the beta on a rather small partition on my disk and don't have enough space on that partition to do an in-place upgrade to reinstall the OS.

Thanks!
    Ryan

Thursday, March 26, 2009 3:55 PM
  • The issue occurs if TrustedInstaller does not work properly. Your anti-virus can block it when it is trying to install updates. I suggest that you temporary disable the security programs on your computer.

If the issue persists, it is better to repair or reinstall the system.

Arthur Xie - MSFT
    Friday, March 27, 2009 4:40 AM
  • On Windows 7 RC, this problem is persistent.  I've re-installed the OS several times, and have watched what I have installed to gauge what could cause this. What I've noticed is after the initial updates are applied and the machine re-boots, the Windows Modules Installer will not start again. Error: 1450

I tried re-creating the Registry Class, as directed above.... no dice. I just made sure I had everything installed that I needed before rebooting after the updates.
    Tuesday, June 02, 2009 10:15 PM

I don't use any kind of optimizing program or registry cleaners! Reinstalled Windows 7 maybe for a 10 times, but the error still occurs.
    And I can't run CID.reg:
    "Cannot import C:\cid.reg: Not all data was successfully written to the registry. Some keys are open by the system or other processes."

And there is no
    HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Classes\CLSID\{752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}
    folder.

I am using Visual Studio 2008 TeamSuite 90-day trial + SP1 + MSDN for SP1, MS Office, ESRI ArcGIS Desktop 9.3.1.
    Maybe something wrong with Visual Studio? Don't know. I don't use any antivirus software and the PC is not connected to the network. But all distributives have been checked.

Cannot even manually start TrustedInstaller service - "Not enough resources".

Please help.
    • Edited by TDenis Monday, August 03, 2009 5:33 PM
    Sunday, August 02, 2009 1:08 PM
  • Having this same problem with Win 7 Enterprise, seems to happen after joining the system to a domain, but could also be the result of installed apps.  Will check on these reg keys and do some additional testing.
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:46 AM
  • Having this same problem with Win 7 Enterprise, seems to happen after joining the system to a domain, but could also be the result of installed apps.  Will check on these reg keys and do some additional testing.

Hi Trelf

Please start a new thread with the complete details about the problem you are experiencing.

This thread was started 6 months ago and was originally describing a problem with the now expired, Beta version of Windows 7.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    Saturday, August 22, 2009 6:55 AM
    My PC hasn't been joined to domain, so I still think it because of apps.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:01 PM

Hi Trelf

Please start a new thread with the complete details about the problem you are experiencing.

This thread was started 6 months ago and was originally describing a problem with the now expired, Beta version of Windows 7.

Thank You for testing Windows 7

Ronnie Vernon MVP
    6 months and there is still no solution found. I tried beta, I tried RC, I tried RTM. Too bad I can't use Windows 7 and I have to use XP/Vista.
    Sunday, August 23, 2009 6:05 PM
  • Arthur,

Good Evening.  I ran across this thread this evening and wanted you to know, that this problem exists in Windows 7 RTM.  I had a perfect time testing the final Windows 7 Beta and the Release Candidate.  I decided to wipe the drive and start fresh.  After getting all the updates that were available, and installing most of my software (the same versions installed under the RC), I need to make a change to my Windows configuration.  I went to "Turn Features On and Off" and found it blank.  I went to the Event Viewer and had a bunch of DCOM errors relating to the "Windows Modules Installer" failing.  Windows Update has quit working as well.  I see the Registry fix you mentioned for the Release Candidate and checked the values in my registry to make sure they were correct and seemed to be.  Any ideas?  I really do not want to stay with my current Vista install, but if I have to go through a fresh install I just do not have the time and it will have to wait for a while.

Thanks,
    Jim
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:33 AM

• TDenis,

I just replied to Arthur's response listed above.  This problem exists in Windows 7 RTM as well.  Extremely disappointing as my Beta and RC's testing went so well.  Something obviously changed between RC and RTM.

Jim

...  I ran across this thread this evening and wanted you to know, that this problem exists in Windows 7 RTM.  I had a perfect time testing the final Windows 7 Beta and the Release Candidate.  I decided to wipe the drive and start fresh.  After getting all the updates that were available, and installing most of my software (the same versions installed under the RC), I need to make a change to my Windows configuration.  I went to "Turn Features On and Off" and found it blank.  I went to the Event Viewer and had a bunch of DCOM errors relating to the "Windows Modules Installer" failing.  Windows Update has quit working as well.  I see the Registry fix you mentioned for the Release Candidate and checked the values in my registry to make sure they were correct and seemed to be...
    Monday, August 24, 2009 2:35 AM

• TDenis,

I just replied to Arthur's response listed above.  This problem exists in Windows 7 RTM as well.  Extremely disappointing as my Beta and RC's testing went so well.  Something obviously changed between RC and RTM.

Jim
    No, you can reproduce the error even on RC or Beta. Don't know why it happens, because sometimes it doesn't... If you are lucky...
    Tuesday, August 25, 2009 5:10 PM
  • TDenis,

Just wanted to get back to this finally.  After 3 fresh installations the I found my problem.  Visual Studio 2008 SP1 is causing my problem.  I installed all of my applications and all of my Windows Updates.  All ran well for quite some time (even after reboots).  Finally I got brave again and installed VS 2008 SP1, and rebooted.  I immediately started getting the exact same behavior I listed above.  I will try to isolate which part is cause the problem and post back here.

Jim
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 3:12 AM
  • Hi, I have exactly the same problem moving from RC to RTM with all of the exact same software installed in both scenarios. In my case have VS2008 as shipped via MSDN as I haven't been able to update it to SP1. Have checked the registry and all the correct keys are there.

RTM is definately different to RC out of the box, Cisco EAP-FAST was also missing which was a bit of a nightmare to install. It's a shame as they were doing so well with 7, which in our opinion has been excellent so far.
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Some progress I think.

I managed to download 720mb of updates having spent around 5 hours on this, but it still refuses to apply the c++ security patch. Anyway, installed the updates and rebooted the pc. During logon windows started then informed me it was giving me a temporary profile, strangely enough though trustedinstaller (Windows module installer service) was started and I could access add remove features from windows, even though IIS wouldn't install properly. Rebooted the pc again and then windows logon on using the correct profile and behold trustedinstaller fails to load again with the 1450 error message.

Does this bring on any lightbulbs with anyone?
    Wednesday, August 26, 2009 7:48 PM
  • Wake up, Microsoft!
    Any solutions?
    Friday, August 28, 2009 10:08 AM
  • Ok, have wasted far too much time on RTM, and RC was so promising! The big worry for Microsoft is that when this image hits the shelves of the unsuspecting general public, 7 could go the same way as Vista at this rate which such a major flaw.

Anyway having rebuilt this particular machine around 20 times and created numerous system images I have managed to make this error manifest itself on demand. I have downloaded the CISO EAP-FAST module which we need in work to authenticate and everything seems ok, reboots ok etc until I create a wirless network profile using EAP-FAST, with AES and WPA2-Enterprise. Connect to lan ok, but on reboot trustedinstaller fails with 1450 error. Uninstalling, killing the cisco service or whatever never resolves the issue and the only resort is to reserect using a system image.

As an aside, VS2008 took about three goes to install and VS2010 fails every time. If I install the hotfix first (KB958488) I can then install .Net 4 Framework Beta 1 and VS2010 starts to install but finally crashes out towards the end of the actual vs2010 component before rolling back.

It's about time Microsoft actualy starting doing some real beta testing again rather than waiting for us to find these issues!
    Sunday, August 30, 2009 11:56 AM

Resolution -

2) Reboot

3) As a Administrator open a Command Prompt and run "SFC /SCANNOW". The command should complete successfully and if any errors were found, they should be corrected.

Here is the link for a video, which explain in more detail how to fix this problem!
    Monday, November 30, 2009 1:16 AM
  • Thanks for posting this worked like a charm! I'm running Win 7 Ent 6.1 build 7600. Was about to reload and start from scratch.
    Tuesday, January 12, 2010 2:21 AM
  • Thank you Pifko6! I was struggling with this for a month, and your registry edit worked perfectly!
    Thursday, July 01, 2010 3:44 PM
  • I think the Hex is wrong above it should be 0xffffffff  (8 f's) which would then translate to the decimal of 4294967295.

Thanks

Patty

Wednesday, November 24, 2010 8:28 PM
  • I had a number of issues that cropped up on my Windows 7 system after attempting to install Adobe Acrobat and or/ Arc GIS 9.3.

Error 1935 ended installation and resulted in rollback of the installation.

SFC /scannow would not start

Windows update would hang on certain installations

After much unsuccessful assistance from Adobe and my local computer tech.... this is what worked for me.

Fixed registry upper limt as per above thread.... did not work on its own

Totally uninstalled the .net framework

Did a registry clean\

Reinstalled the most up to date .net

after this everything worked!

I am suspecting that for my system - it was a complete re-install (not a fix) of the .net framwork.  Perhaps assisted by the registry limit fix?

cheers

Monday, January 10, 2011 11:48 PM

Resolution -

2) Reboot

The laptop I am working on now seems to have a few problems when I go through the event viewer. The one that was filling the logs the most was the Windows Modules Installer not working and this above fix solved one issue.

This laptop has been having a processes that max the cpu at random times. When I first worked on this it appeared that the ekrn process from ESET NOD32 was the culprit. I changed some settings for ESET and it worked fine for a little while. A couple weeks ago the user of this laptop told me that it was having the same problem. What really had me guessing is that it had happened before when it was runnning XP but I just installed Win7 on it a few weeks ago.

Well long story short as soon as I made the registry changes, reboot, sfc /scannow then reboot again the updates magically started again. Hopefully this will solve some of the other errors also. But I am thinking it has an additional memory leak.

Thursday, February 17, 2011 6:15 AM
  • I am experiencing the same problems.  I have VS 2010 Ultimate installed.  Bump!
    Sunday, March 06, 2011 12:52 AM
  • This bug is getting so old its hilarious and it seems to traverse from OS to OS

I have this bug on Windows 8 on a new laptop with default installation only updates of ms are installed

nothing else. (The error text means the same in german)

Der Server "{752073A1-23F2-4396-85F0-8FDB879ED0ED}" konnte innerhalb des angegebenen Zeitabschnitts mit DCOM nicht registriert werden.

Fehler 05.04.2013 14:54:39 DistributedCOM 10010 Keine
    Fehler 03.04.2013 06:32:49 DistributedCOM 10010 Keine
    Fehler 03.04.2013 06:28:03 DistributedCOM 10010 Keine
    Fehler 03.04.2013 06:28:02 DistributedCOM 10010 Keine
    Fehler 03.04.2013 06:28:02 DistributedCOM 10010 Keine
    Fehler 01.04.2013 18:30:23 DistributedCOM 10010 Keine
    Fehler 01.04.2013 18:25:57 DistributedCOM 10010 Keine

Friday, April 05, 2013 1:16 PM
  • Solved by removing increaseuserva from boot options with bcdedit

bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva

first check if you have it active using

bcdedit
    I was playing with this option after hacking Windows 7 32bits memory limit http://wj32.org/wp/2011/02/23/pae-patch-updated-for-windows-7-sp1/

btw, it works flawlessly, except using that bcd option

Friday, October 23, 2015 9:06 AM