none
Windows 8 task scheduler doubt RRS feed

• Question

• Hello there

I am having a doubt using task scheduler, since I created a task using some tutorials and it did not work the way it was supposed to

I created a task using DIR g:\FOLDER every minute so my G: will not sleep (its an esata HD connected to an esata do usb dongle) and even changing power settings it was sleeping

So, I had a better idea to create a task, but don´t know how to proceed

I need to create a task that creates a dummy file (about 128 to 256k) every minute ou 2 mins, and then delete the created file, just to make the HD keep alive

How do I proceed with that ?

That would be used on an windows 8 machine and an win 8.1 machine too

Tks

Sunday, September 1, 2013 6:24 PM

Answers

• Hi

I did this but stil got no luck

But I found something easier and 100% working

Its a program, called keephdalive

http://keepalivehd.codeplex.com/

It works the way I wanted the OS to work, by creating a dummy file every X seconds on the HDs I want the system to keep alive, and after that I had no more problems with this problem

The batch file I created to use within task scheduler has the same principle, but the main problem is that the command prompt screen from the batch was always popping on my screen, and that was really something I could not workaround but the program helped me and solved both problems

But tks anyway for the help :)

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:56 PM

All replies

• Do you know how to program using C# or VB.NET? If you do, then you make a little TaskTrey progrsm that's using a System.Thread.Timer and do what you are talking about. The program would sit there in the TaskTrey and run. You can put an entry in Startup so it starts when you boot.
    Monday, September 2, 2013 12:54 AM
  • You just want to set the settings for the sleep mode of your devices, you can make use of the power options or just do whatever your plan is. 

To set the power options:

go to control panel, power options, click on "change plan settings" then click on "change advance settings" 

You should be able to find or set some options on how to control the sleep or standby mode of your devices. 

(sorry  above settings is for Win 7 don't have win 8 on my hands right now. At least this will give you some ideas to get started)

Good luck!!!

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Edited by cguan Monday, September 2, 2013 2:04 AM edit
    Monday, September 2, 2013 2:01 AM
  • @cguan

You are right. Those same power options are on Window 8 where one can set the HD power options, the option on my machine is sleep after 20 minutes. I didn't know those options were there on Win 7 either. :)

Thanks

Monday, September 2, 2013 4:23 AM
  • Hi

I am not a developer, so don´t know how to make apps

And I already set USB to not sleep or powerdown, but the HD is still having this behavior, so thats why I need to make a woraround for that, and a task that makes it "alive" 24/7 would be the only way to go, since I don´t know how to code

tks

Monday, September 2, 2013 5:58 AM
  • did you set this option below (see pic), but IMHO i don't think it's a good idea not to put your HD to sleep or standby.

Put the HD to sleep when not in use, or else HD lifespan will be shorten. 

There's a purpose why the behavior is like that. But if you insist to do what you want go ahead.

Just make a simple batch, like reading the contents of your drive.

go the command prompt: copy con cmd_awake.cmd

dir d:\ c:\

exit

make a task scheduler and choose the batch file to execute.

Every second counts..make use of it. Disclaimer: This posting is provided AS IS with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights.

• Edited by cguan Monday, September 2, 2013 6:52 AM edit
    Monday, September 2, 2013 6:52 AM
  • Hi
    Gonna make a test with this batch file :)
    Tks !
    The problem here is the esata to usb adapter that is making the device sleep even when i set

them to not, and there is no driver nor firmwares for the dongle, so gonna test this stuff

Edit:

Made the batch file, but the problem is that the command prompt keeps popping everytime

Is there a way to hide te command prompt window in the task scheduler action, or even an app that keeps refreshing HDs and or folders all time so it can be invisible ?

tks !

• Edited by CrisOrlando Tuesday, September 3, 2013 1:51 PM
    Monday, September 2, 2013 11:52 PM
  • Hi, 

How about right click the bat file and choose run as administrator?

Best Regards, StarSprite

Monday, September 9, 2013 2:46 PM
  • Hi

I did this but stil got no luck

But I found something easier and 100% working

Its a program, called keephdalive

http://keepalivehd.codeplex.com/

It works the way I wanted the OS to work, by creating a dummy file every X seconds on the HDs I want the system to keep alive, and after that I had no more problems with this problem

The batch file I created to use within task scheduler has the same principle, but the main problem is that the command prompt screen from the batch was always popping on my screen, and that was really something I could not workaround but the program helped me and solved both problems

But tks anyway for the help :)

Tuesday, September 10, 2013 2:56 PM
  • Hi, 

Thanks for your patience and efforts on this issue. 

Your shared solution will definitely help others who encounter the same issue as yours.

Kate Li

TechNet Community Support

Wednesday, September 11, 2013 1:25 AM
    Owner