Sleep mode is missing RRS feed

• Question

• In Windows 7 Ultimate I can hibernate the computer automatically but the sleep mode is greyed out.  Only "dim the display" in Power Options shows.  How do I regain sleep mode functionality along with "turn off display". "put computer to sleep", and "adjust plan brightness" that are featured in Win 7RC?
    Saturday, November 7, 2009 3:19 PM

All replies

• This is the command line I use on a desktop icon for quick sleep mode.

C:\Windows\System32\rundll32.exe Powrprof.dll,SetSuspendState Sleep

Saturday, November 7, 2009 11:18 PM
  • Have you checked the BIOS to ensure APM or ACPI is enabled? Did you check the advanced power settings to confirm that sleep is enabled. (option is in left column of power settings page) Also, check the power Tab for devices in the properties of device manager to let windows control the power.

Sunday, November 8, 2009 1:21 PM
  •  

Hi,

Please also perform the following steps to troubleshoot the issue.

1. Upgrade the display adapter.

2. Open Control Panel and click Power Options icon. Click the "Change plan settings" in the current plans. Is there the "Put the computer to sleep" option? If so, please modify it. Otherwise, please click "Change advanced power settings" and verify "sleep" settings.

If there is any error information, please upload it to Skydrive (www.skydrive.live.com) and share the link to me for research.

Thanks,

Novak

Monday, November 9, 2009 5:58 AM
  • That command may produce unexpected results since the signature for the function "SetSuspendState" doesn't match the signature for a function that rundll32 is meant to call. That it may actually perform the desired action is just a coincidence...
    Monday, November 9, 2009 12:21 PM
  • The adapter worked well in 7RC.  Is there a big difference between Win 7 and 7RC?  Currently there is no “sleep after” or “allow hybrid sleep” in the advanced settings dialog box.

Bullphinch

Monday, November 9, 2009 1:55 PM
  • Simply put, yes there is a big difference in the OS. Drivers that worked in RC should be ok in RTM or GA release. Did you go to Start>Control Panel>System and Security>Power Options? There should be a sleep option there.

The changed advanced power options (in blue) lets you configure device behaviour.
    Is that what you are looking for?

What motherboard or computer are you using?
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:09 PM
  • I'm not familiar with terms "RTM" or "GA".  Currently there is no sleep option in advanced power settings.  From System Info I get the following: Computer is HP dv2500 Notebook.  BIOS version is F.2B 5/7/2008.  OS name is MS Win7 Ultimate 6.1.7600 Build 7600.  Display adapter is Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.  I suspect at this point I may have to update the motherboard since dispaly adapters no longer stand alone in notebooks.  Does this help?
    Bullphinch
    Monday, November 9, 2009 2:47 PM
  • I'm sorry. RTM and GA means the Release to Manufacturing and General Availabilty (retail) versions. Did you upgrade or clean install? Was the upgrade through the HP program?

Anyway, download and install this chipset inf update from Intel. get it here. Your computer has the 965GME chipset. The HP version is 1016. This is for Win 7 and Vista and is version 1019.

Monday, November 9, 2009 3:22 PM
  • Also, do you recall from the specifications on your computer if it had an nVidia display adapter?

If you didn't Windows 7 should have installed the correct display driver, but you could check for an Intel update here.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 3:29 PM
  • OK, I have installed the recommended chipset.  FYI, Win7 was a clean install by me, not through the HP program.  Also, there is no indication in the Device Manage of any NVIDIA dispaly adapter on this machine; just generic. (I have others with NVIDIA G-Force.) Meanwhile, the sleep mode issue remains.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 4:31 PM
  • By the way, no need to speak about updating the motherboard. Then you have the Intel display adapter on board. Did you run the Intel updater from the last post? Let's confirm that the display adapter has the most recent driver. That's what Mr. Wu implied.

Just a question to clear this up-This was a clean install, yes? You cannot upgrade over the RC.
    Monday, November 9, 2009 9:23 PM
  • 1) Clean install since you can't install over 7RC.  2) Intel updater indicated no problems.  3) The latest drivers are installed.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 12:30 PM
  • Do you have the battery meter in the notification area of the taskbar? I don't get why you can't configure it in the power options or the mobility center when on battery.

There is a battery recall. here Have you checked yours? The battery does send info to the system.

Have you checked changing settings both on battery only and on AC no battery?

This is a puzzler. Perhaps the Quick Launch button software has something to do with it. There is a key combo for hibernate Fn+F8.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:10 PM
  • Yes, the battery meter is on the task bar.  It is not a subject of the recall.  Clicking "power options" yields only "Turn off display".  The other options to change sleep time, hibernate time, and display brightness are not there.  In the "Change advanced power settings" only "Hibernate after" and "Allow wake times" appear when "Sleep" is expanded.  "Allow wake times" are disabled in the battery and power modes.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:22 PM
  • I can't tell whether the quick launch or one of the other system software packages has the fix. The notebook needs one of those and HP doesn't really describe the functionality of those very well.
    Throw some of the Vista versions of those at the computer installed compatibility mode untill you get the sleep option back. Sheesh, HP!
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 1:49 PM
  • So you think we should refer the issue to HP?  I'm still playing with the idea that the dispaly adapter isn't fast enough and needs to be upgraded.  In 7RC there was no porblem.  Both the power options and Aero worked as advertised.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:06 PM
  • I don't believe you will get any help from HP as they are not supporting this model for Windows 7. Perhaps in their forums, but that's an arduous task to sign up, it's almost not worth it.

Ok, two more, disable the screen saver if it is enabled. Check the ethernet network adapter properties in device manager and uncheck allow this device to wake or wake on lan.

Does your anti-virus have any shutdown features? (after scan, disable those) Is it a Win 7 version?

That's it, I'm out of ideas. Perhaps someone will pop in with another idea.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:44 PM
  • In the "Change advanced power settings" only "Hibernate after" and "Allow wake times" appear when "Sleep" is expanded.  "Allow wake times" are disabled in the battery and power modes.

Perhaps hibernate after X amount of time will let it "sleep" before hibernating and return the sleep option. Enter a sleep time, anything to test. Save and check.
    Tuesday, November 10, 2009 2:54 PM