none
USB device listed in devices but not disk management and not My computer RRS feed

• Question

• Hi. I have an Acer desktop running on Windows Vista and I just bought a 7 port USB hub. When I plug the hub into a port at the back of the computer, the computer appears to install it and then say that it is working fine. But when I open My Computer there is no sign of the USB hub or any USB device that I plug into the hub. When I go to manage my computer, the "Generic USB hub" shows up in Devices, but, as far as I know, NOT in Disk Management. Could someone please help me with this problem. All the solutions I have come across so far seem to rely on the device showing up in Disk Management...
    Tuesday, June 21, 2011 3:34 AM

Answers

• Hi,

I suggest you reload the USB controller drivers.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Please also try the USB on another computer. If the issue persists, the root cause should not be the system. I suspect that the USB controllers are not compatible with Windows Vista. You need to access the download webpage of your computer or motherboard, and download Windows 7 compatible motherboard chipset and USB controller drivers. After installing the drivers the issue should be resolved.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, June 24, 2011 7:41 AM
  • USB2 hard disks do not seem to work on hubs, so hook them directely to the tower.

USB sticks should work better though as they draw very little power.

My MVP is for the Windows Desktop Experience, i.e. Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7 IT

Remote Assistance is available for a fee. Visit my IT site for information.

I am best with C++ and I am learning C# using Visual Studio 2010. My page on Video Card Problems is now my most popular landing page.

Developer | Windows IT | Chess | Economics | Hardcore Games | Vegan Advocate | PC Reviews

Friday, June 24, 2011 2:42 PM

All replies

• Hi,

I suggest you reload the USB controller drivers.

1. Click "Start", type in Device Manager the Search bar and press "Enter". Click Continue if necessary.
    2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the "Host Controller", click "Uninstall" and click "OK".
    3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows Vista will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

Please also try the USB on another computer. If the issue persists, the root cause should not be the system. I suspect that the USB controllers are not compatible with Windows Vista. You need to access the download webpage of your computer or motherboard, and download Windows 7 compatible motherboard chipset and USB controller drivers. After installing the drivers the issue should be resolved.

Regards,

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    Friday, June 24, 2011 7:41 AM