none
My dvd-CD player disappears

Question

• Strange, i haven't watched a movie in a while on my PC and it was working fine.

today, i tried to play a movie, using either KMplayer or mediaplayerclassic and when i choose open DVD, the drive just disappears from the windows explorer.

so i go to device manager and dvd/cd-rom drive isn't listed anymore. so i right click and pick scan and then the DVD/cd appears on the list.

so i try to open the DVD movie again and same thing happens, DVD drive disappears

this is in WINDOWS 7 64

can someone help me?

thx
    Monday, March 28, 2011 5:58 AM

Answers

• Hi,

First, I would like to confirm that if there are any programs or updates installed before the issue occurs.

You may check if it is able to use the other disc and play this DVD on other computer to check if it is corrupted.

Please boot in Clean Boot and test this issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:47 AM
  • i uninstalled xn-view a software to view pictures and videos, and somehow my cd-rom/dvd player works perfectly again...
    GNBN
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, April 06, 2011 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:10 PM

All replies

• Try this fixit:

Your CD or DVD drive can't read or write media

http://support.microsoft.com/mats/cd_dvd_drive_problems/en-us

If you still have the issue, try the manuel steps from this KB article:

Your CD drive or DVD drive is missing or is not recognized by Windows or other programs

"A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Monday, March 28, 2011 12:30 PM
  • oh but i tried it, all it does is to scan for hardware changes and finds my cd-rom/dvd player again. but when i click open Dvd from a media player, it disappears again, and nothing happens.
    GNBN
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:02 AM
  • do the steps (deleting the keys) shown in the KB article.
    "A programmer is just a tool which converts caffeine into code"

Want to install RSAT on Windows 7 Sp1? Check my HowTo: http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?showtopic=150221
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 1:52 PM
  • these keys, upper and lower aren't present in my registry, so i can't delete them.
    GNBN
    Tuesday, March 29, 2011 3:36 PM
  • Hi,

First, I would like to confirm that if there are any programs or updates installed before the issue occurs.

You may check if it is able to use the other disc and play this DVD on other computer to check if it is corrupted.

Please boot in Clean Boot and test this issue.

Regards,

Sabrina

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees, and confers no rights. |Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Tuesday, April 05, 2011 5:30 AM
    Wednesday, March 30, 2011 7:47 AM
  • i uninstalled xn-view a software to view pictures and videos, and somehow my cd-rom/dvd player works perfectly again...
    GNBN
    • Marked as answer by Sabrina Shen Wednesday, April 06, 2011 6:22 AM
    Tuesday, April 05, 2011 6:10 PM