none
Internet streaming stopped working + duplicate occurences of remote hosts

Question

• I have had Internet audio streaming working OK with the RC & RTM Win7 builds - until a few days ago!

Now I see 2 occurrences of the remote hosts where I've shared media from my home PCs and Internet streaming no longer works to one of those machines (the one with the big music collection on it of course).

If I disassociate the LiveID on the home machines, I still see 1 strug occurrence of them listed in the "Internet Streaming Diagnostic Tool".

If I run the diagnostic test it eventually records:

Name resolution: OK
     Connection: Failed

... against the problematic connections.

Has anyone else encountered this?

I'd like to eliminate the strug duplicates of remote hosts (I'm thinking the issue is related to that), so how do you totally delete the record of the hosts associated with a Live ID? You can only do it once on a PC where its set up!

Wednesday, October 21, 2009 3:48 PM

All replies

• Hi David, I have some suggestions for you:

1. Temporarily add the remote host to DMZ so that we can see if the issue is caused by port forwarding or other connection related issue.
    2. To delete the record of the hosts, you can try remove it from "Other libraries" in WMP navigation pane, and remove the linked live ID under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Link Online IDs on the remote host.
    3. You can try linking other Windows Live ID to see the result.

Hope this helps!
    Sean Zhu - MSFT
    Monday, October 26, 2009 3:36 AM
  • Hi Sean,

I've been off for a few days - and I find that the situation has somehow magically resolved itself without me doing anything. I suspect a caching issue somewhere!

>1. Temporarily add the remote host to DMZ so that we can see if the issue is caused by port forwarding or other connection related issue.

The remote host is on my home network - along with another remote host that I could still access fine (although both still shows the same curious duplication in the Remote hosts list in the Internet Streaming Diagnostic Tool). There is no DMZ as such, just the home upnp ADSL router.

>2. To delete the record of the hosts, you can try remove it from "Other libraries" in WMP navigation pane, and remove the linked live ID under Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\User Accounts\Link Online IDs on the remote host.

I couldn't delete the entry from the WMP "Other libraries" because it wouldn't appear there. I had already tried removing and re-adding the linked Live ID at both ends - it made no difference.

>3. You can try linking other Windows Live ID to see the result.

I hadn't tried that, and as it's now apparently working again, I won't try - until it occurs again.

I'd still like to get to the bottom of why I have both remote hosts listed twice in the diagnostic tool, and why 1 instance of each says it's OK and the other isn't. There's got to be some way of getting more low-level detail than is presented in the diagnostic tool in order to properly diagnose what's going on - hasn't there?

Dave
    Thursday, October 29, 2009 9:34 AM