none
Reference Image for 2019 BSOD after sysprep "PNP Watchdog" RRS feed

• Question

• I'm trying to get about as basic of a 2019 reference image built as possible, but I keep failing after it executes sysprep and reboots to capture.  It'll reboot to the windows icon with a spinner, but eventually BSOD's with a "Driver PNP Watchdog" message.  

MDT 8456

ADK 10.1.17763.1

Using server 2019 standard iso released in November.  

Vsphere 6.7, using e1000 NIC (have no issues with server 2016/12 or Win10/7)

I can use the same ISO and manually build the OS without issue.  

From the logging tab, it always gets to execute sysprep step 78 of 86.  It'll just continue to reboot and BSOD after this.

Any pointers on where to look to see what exactly is going on, would be greatly appreciated.

Wednesday, March 20, 2019 2:49 PM

Answers

• Not sure on the why this occurs, but i did seem to figure out a workaround.  This only occurs on a VM that has a Snapshot associated with it.  I usually follow the process of creating a snap of my reference machines so i can easily go back and create new ones, but for some reason that will hose this type of a scenario.  Created new VM, no snaps and boom, off to the races.  Hope that saves someone else some time.
    • Marked as answer by Slade1040 Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:30 PM
    • Edited by Slade1040 Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:30 PM

All replies

• Not sure on the why this occurs, but i did seem to figure out a workaround.  This only occurs on a VM that has a Snapshot associated with it.  I usually follow the process of creating a snap of my reference machines so i can easily go back and create new ones, but for some reason that will hose this type of a scenario.  Created new VM, no snaps and boom, off to the races.  Hope that saves someone else some time.
    • Marked as answer by Slade1040 Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:30 PM
    • Edited by Slade1040 Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:30 PM
    Wednesday, March 20, 2019 9:30 PM
  • OMG... I have been fighting with this for a week! And your suggestion solved it in like 10 mins.

I did not want to loose my snapshots, so I cloned the machine first. Which takes out the snapshots on the clone, and now the sysprep works fine on that clone and No BSOD afterwards. I can now use this one as my template!

Thank you.

Virtual Samurai - MCP, CCNA

Thursday, December 5, 2019 9:37 PM
  • I've not seen this issue/scenario but isn't the point of a snapshot to also keep your VM in a state of not having been sysprepped? I make a checkpoint just after I made new changes and shut down the VM. Then I capture it to a wim, then apply the checkpoint back. So, what happens to a VM that has been captured multiple times and sysprepped many times?
    Friday, December 6, 2019 8:49 PM