none
Playing DVD hangs my computer and generates blue screen

Question

• Hi,
    I am Jeremy, am having trouble when trying to play DVDs on my PC. When I insert a DVD and auto-play with either PowerDVD 7.3 Ultra, Nero 8.3 Showtime or Windows Media center in Windows 7 Ultimate x32 Version, it hungs up, shows a blue screen(BSOD) and reboots itself. However the same DVD's are playing on Windows XP, powerDVD, Nero and other players.

I have gone through a thread responses to  Diego Alejandro Raza query, but no response seems satisfactory, or applicable in my case.

My PC specs are:
    Intel Cel 2.2 GHZ
    NVIDIA geforce 6200 card
    1 GB Ram
    Windows 7 Ultimate x32

Anyone who can offer a solution?

Thanks.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 9:03 AM

Answers

• Hi,

According to the description, it's most likely a video card problem.

If it's an OEM computer, you should download driver from computer manufacturer's website. You can also try the driver from NVIDIA directly: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_190.62_whql.html

If it persists, you may test it in Clean Boot mode.

If it does not work, please contact the computer manfuacturer to comfirm its Windows 7 compatibility.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, September 28, 2009 3:16 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:28 AM
  • This error may occur if there is problem with BIOS.

Keep pressing F8 upon restarting, choose Repair your computer and choose Command Prompt, type the following commands:

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

Does it work?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, September 28, 2009 3:15 AM
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:08 AM
  • The Repair Your Computer option should be included in Windows 7.

How about choosing Safe Mode and perform System Restore in it?
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:33 AM

All replies

• Jeremy,
    You do not meet minimum system requirements for Power DVD for the graphics adapter. Look here. Although, as it is supported with Win 7 drivers, that's not where I'd look first.

There can also be application compatibility problems with Win 7 that could be causing this issue. Most likely the issue.

Click start (orb)>default programs>set your default programs>and set media player for dvd playback, ok, close out and test.

Although, the other applications were Vista compatible, PowerDVD 9 and Nero 9 are listed as Win 7 compatible.

You could uninstall those (I know its a pain) and re-install in compatibility mode for Vista. Method here. Set the default program file types to the re-installed version and test.

You could also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on the XP and review the results for application compatibility. Get it here.

Finally, you could click the Flag in the notification area, Open the Action Center, and run the Troubleshooter. That may repair or identify the cause. Try both software and hardware.

What's the result?
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:18 PM
  • Jeremy,
    You do not meet minimum system requirements for Power DVD for the graphics adapter. Look here. Although, as it is supported with Win 7 drivers, that's not where I'd look first.

There can also be application compatibility problems with Win 7 that could be causing this issue. Most likely the issue.

Click start (orb)>default programs>set your default programs>and set media player for dvd playback, ok, close out and test.

Although, the other applications were Vista compatible, PowerDVD 9 and Nero 9 are listed as Win 7 compatible.

You could uninstall those (I know its a pain) and re-install in compatibility mode for Vista. Method here. Set the default program file types to the re-installed version and test.

You could also run the Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor on the XP and review the results for application compatibility. Get it here.

Finally, you could click the Flag in the notification area, Open the Action Center, and run the Troubleshooter. That may repair or identify the cause. Try both software and hardware.

What's the result?
    ASUS P4PE-P4 Extreme 3.4gHz-2gb G.Skill PC3200-XPSP3:55gb-Win7RC:17gb-DATA:500gb-ASUS N6800GT
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:19 PM
  • Thanks Nano Warp, however, I suspect it's not the application am using to play the DVDs with that's the issue. The players were all installed in compatiblity mode (Win XP SP3).

Crux of it is that, if I hit play and Mode is DVD, the PC simply hungs up, BSODs, and Reboots. Is it something to do with the the NVIDIA GeForce 6200 Card?
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:49 PM
  • It plays in Windows XP because the software you're using was written to run correctly in Windows XP.  However, Windows 7 has some significant kernal differences and a lot of programs that run in XP will not run in Win 7.

I think you should have installed the software using the Vista SP2 compatibility mode instead of Windows XP.

I have Nero 9 running in Windows 7 x64 and there are no problems, but Nero published and update to ensure Nero 9 is compatible.  The Nero 9 Showtime runs without problems on Windows 7 x64.
    • Edited by Rick Dee Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:17 PM
    Wednesday, September 23, 2009 6:44 PM
  • j94663,
    So, does Windows Media Player play the movie when it is set as the default player? Did you uninstall the other software to rule the incompatibility out? Get the movies to play in windows before introducing multiple players. There is no way to tell if it is software or hardware unless you do eliminate some potential sources.
    Or, you can just keep looking at the BSOD and wishing it worked.

Wednesday, September 23, 2009 7:15 PM
  • Fortunately am no longer looking at the BSOD. After installing Nvidia geForce drivers from http://www.techspot.com/drivers/driver/file/information/11941/, the BSOD did not show, and PC did not reboot. The screen however blacks out briefly on attempting to play on PowerDVD and Media Player, a balloon notifying that "error in display adapter has recovered successfully" is displayed, and an active Media Player/PowerDVD screen is left on the screen.

After another trial with Media player Classic with the same result, I tried Nero Showtime, which played the DVD pretty well, although the images were not crisp clear (granulation of sorts).

Am still pursuing a "hardware compatibility" approach in resolving this.
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 6:35 AM
  • Hi,

According to the description, it's most likely a video card problem.

If it's an OEM computer, you should download driver from computer manufacturer's website. You can also try the driver from NVIDIA directly: http://www.nvidia.com/object/win7_winvista_32bit_190.62_whql.html

If it persists, you may test it in Clean Boot mode.

If it does not work, please contact the computer manfuacturer to comfirm its Windows 7 compatibility.

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    • Marked as answer by Vivian Xing Monday, September 28, 2009 3:16 AM
    Thursday, September 24, 2009 8:28 AM
  • Thanks Vivian,

I have installed the driver, however after reboot, my pc brought the error

BOOTMGR is missing
    Press any key to restart...

I am stuck., what do I do, will I have to reinstall Win 7? Or is their repair option in the Win 7 DvD,(Which when I try to use brings a "Cannot Boot from CD. Error Code 05)

Please Help.

Thanks all in advance.
    Friday, September 25, 2009 8:27 AM
  • This error may occur if there is problem with BIOS.

Keep pressing F8 upon restarting, choose Repair your computer and choose Command Prompt, type the following commands:

BOOTREC /FIXMBR

BOOTREC /FIXBOOT

BOOTREC /REBUILDBCD

BOOTREC /SCANOS

Does it work?

Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:08 AM
  • F8 brings the Boot Menu, Will I have inserted the Win 7 DVD? There's no option for Repair on the Boot MENU. Or is this option in the DVD?

Friday, September 25, 2009 9:17 AM
  • The Repair Your Computer option should be included in Windows 7.

How about choosing Safe Mode and perform System Restore in it?
    Vivian Xing - MSFT
    Friday, September 25, 2009 9:33 AM