none
IE8 re-install in Win7?

Question

• Hi all.  I recently recieved a Dell machine, Win7 Pro SP1, with IE9 pre-installed.  This customer is standardized on IE8.  I un-installed IE9 thinking it's no big deal to just download IE8, but as it turns out Microsoft has pulled another "use what we want, not what you want" situation so there appears to be no downloads of IE8 for Win7.  I've tried the Vista/Server 2008 versions, the installer detects th OS version and immediately says no.  IE8 is fully compatible with Win7 (SP1 or not) so there is no reason for this nonsense as far as I'm concerned.  I'd like to know why this situation exists, if anybody has any insight on that. 

Be that as it may, since my customer cannot work with all their hosted web applications with IE9, they require IE8.  Does anyone have any suggestions how to get it on there?  I admit I have not spent time with IE9 so maybe there's a compatibility mode of some sort?  

Also a bit of feedback to Microsoft on how they might want to improve the way they implement the IE9 removeal/re-install process:

Uninstalling it is easy, re-installing it is also relatively easy however once done, there are NO icons anywhere for IE anymore.  They are gone from the Start Menu, the Taskbar, etc. The only option is to do a search for the iexplore.exe program and then right-click it to Pin to ____ , which is easy enough for some but others might get lost with this process. 

Thanks. 

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:09 PM

Answers

• It has been posted many. many times - There is no IE8 download for Windows 7!

IE9 has a compatibility mode that can be accessed by pressing F12 and selecting on of the modes under Browser Mode:

To get IE8 back after you uninstall IE9 you must go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features and re-activate IE8 in the Turn Windows features on or off.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by viProCon Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:58 PM
  • There is no option to revert to IE8 hence my complaint.  One can revert to IE9 again by re-checkmarking it, but this is when you end up having to re-create icons to launch it as there are none anywhere, not even under All Programs. 

Perhaps this issue is with a recent build, but this PC is new, came with IE9 pre-installed, and thus there seems to be zero way to get IE8 on there.

If IE8 is/was on the computer you first need to uninstall the IE9 update.

To uninstall Internet Explorer 9

1·    Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
    2·    Under Uninstall an update, scroll down to the Microsoft Windows section.
    3·    Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
    4·    Click one of the following:
        Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).
        Restart later (to wait until you shut down or restart your computer).

·    Note
    ·    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

• Marked as answer by viProCon Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:47 PM

All replies

• IE8 - Download

Try this link: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/internet-explorer/downloads/ie-8

J W Stuart: http://www.pagestart.com

Never be afraid to ask. This forum has some of the best people in the world available to help.
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:37 PM
  • It has been posted many. many times - There is no IE8 download for Windows 7!

IE9 has a compatibility mode that can be accessed by pressing F12 and selecting on of the modes under Browser Mode:

To get IE8 back after you uninstall IE9 you must go to Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Programs and Features and re-activate IE8 in the Turn Windows features on or off.

Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. ”
    • Marked as answer by viProCon Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 2:58 PM
  • @J W Stuart:  Had already tried that link, no luck though, no Win7 version and the Vista and Server 2008 versions won't work in Win7. 

@Rick Dee:  There is no option to revert to IE8 hence my complaint.  One can revert to IE9 again by re-checkmarking it, but this is when you end up having to re-create icons to launch it as there are none anywhere, not even under All Programs. 

Also I should point out that when you go go to turn Wimdows features on or off and you take the checkmark out of IE9, you end up with no Internet Explorer on your PC of any kind, not IE8, nothing at all.  It's really weird to have a PC without a way to go on the Internet, kind of like getting into a car and seeing that there's no steering wheel.  :)

Perhaps this issue is with a recent build, but this PC is new, came with IE9 pre-installed, and thus there seems to be zero way to get IE8 on there. 

Maybe one of the admin kits would do it but I don't have time to go and learn all that, just for one PC.  What irks me is that this is obviously a marketing decision at Microsoft, not one made from a desire to remain in the good graces of companies that need to standareize on a previous version. 

If IE8 were years old, I'd say sure, go ahead, but not when IE9 is so new and IE8 is still by far the most used browswer out there. 

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:29 PM
  • There is no option to revert to IE8 hence my complaint.  One can revert to IE9 again by re-checkmarking it, but this is when you end up having to re-create icons to launch it as there are none anywhere, not even under All Programs. 

1·    Click the Start button, type Programs and Features in the search box, and then click View installed updates in the left pane.
    3·    Right-click Windows Internet Explorer 9, click Uninstall, and then, when prompted, click Yes.
        Restart now (to finish the process of uninstalling Internet Explorer 9, and restore the previous version of Internet Explorer).

·    Note
    ·    After you uninstall Internet Explorer 9, the previously installed version of Internet Explorer will be available on your computer. It is not necessary to reinstall.

• Marked as answer by viProCon Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:21 PM
    Tuesday, October 11, 2011 3:47 PM
  • Tried this and it worked.  Good to know IE8 still exists under the hood even if there's no indication anywhere.  I figured since IE9 was pre-installed, that this was the baseline image and couldn't be reversed. 

Thanks TrekDozer.  Now if MS would just make IE8 downloadable for Win7 I'm sure many peole could avoid some frustration. 

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:21 PM
  • Making a Windows 7 version of IE8 avaialble for download would not solve any of the problems you experienced.  You would not be able to install IE8 over IE9.  So a downlaod is virtually useless.

The real solution is to make it much clearler on exactly how to revert back to IE8.  People need to know that it is necessary to uninstall IE9 before they can go in and make IE8 availalble.

Tuesday, October 11, 2011 5:48 PM

·    Note

No, the previous version is not available. There is not a listing for any version of IE after uninstalling IE9 in the "Turn Windows features on or off". I don't know why this post was makred as an Answer by viProCon other than the fact that they are a Microsoft partner. 
    Wednesday, February 08, 2012 7:23 PM
  • Developer_46038:

You obviously don't know a lot about how things work with MIcrosoft parnters.  I sell their stuff as does almost 500,000 other partners, but I'm not in some big conspiracy to ensure you can't use IE8 and I certainly get irate with their products just as much as you and probably more I would guess.  You should realize that there is more going on than what you see with  your limited perspective (the same limitation any single person would have). 

Just because it doesn't work in your situation doesn't mean it's not the case elsewhere.  This week I received another bach of new PC's and they all have the option to go to IE8 via Turn Windows features on or off.  I first removed IE9 via the list of Installed Updates.  Perhaps it's a thing in the type of build, these are all OEM.  Maybe retail vs. OEM vs. VL is different who knows.  Or perhaps it's a pre/post SP1 thing, or even just one of the other updates that toggled the choice who knows. 

In either case, the option does exist.  If it doesn't exist for your system(s) then there is something different about your setup than the rest of us posting on this subject. 

All that aside, I do agree that it is annoying how MS is pushing IE9 and yes, I was around during the Netscape days (still got my boxed edition of Navigator 1.22 on the shelf) so I know their rep in the market for stuff like this.  In either case, if it's not some big vendor pushing their IE9 it'll be a hard drive failure in the morning and a crashed server in the afternoon - this stuff just gets to be the same after a while so best to just navigate the hurdles whatever they be. 

Thursday, February 09, 2012 12:15 PM
  • Question is for Rick Dee, I'm new and I'm hoping I am posting in the right place.

I have a Lenova, Windows 7 that came with IE9 installed.  One of the programs I'm using has tabs on one page that are not showing, in the past on other computers the problem has been with the IE version.  The company tells me I need to use IE8.  I tried your solution (F12 and changing to the compatibility mode), it made no difference.  I see there is an option in the Browser mode for IE8, but you say there is no IE8 download for Windows 7, so I'm confused as to why IE8 is on this list and if it could be an option for me.  Other information you may need to help with this is, the tabs (and the whole program for as much as I used it) did work at one time, (I have had the computer for about 4 months).  That would indicate to me that the program works with IE9, but the company says no.  Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Wednesday, March 28, 2012 5:20 PM
  • I found a solution, it wont apply to everyone, but it may give you some more avenues for people who have this problem.  I have a Lenova - this is so tacky of Lenova.  I did resolve my problem for myself, and I realize we all have different computers and systems, but I can only share what I did.  I looked everywhere on my computer to see if I had IE8, and it would just pop  up when I uninstalled, and I found it no where.  One of my tech advisors said MSFT hides it as they want to encourage the use of the newer IE9, so he gave me another way to uninstall, here it is:

Let's try a different way. Go into uninstall a program > left side top click on View installed updates. Go down to Microsoft Windows, look for windows internet explorer 9 > uninstall it. After it is gone reboot and see if you have IE8 back.  - so apparently there are different ways to uninstall that have a different impact.  I hope this helps others, I will post this answer on the two threads that I have asked this question.

But here is the tacky part - Shame on Lenova - Since it was a new computer, I called them, they referred me to their software support, and they said they could fix it, for $59, for a one time fix, or a one year "help with any software) for $179.  They knew that when they sold me this computer and hid IE8, that I would run into this problem as many programs have not yet updated to IE9.  Come on guys, I'm willing to pay for honest work, but this is just plain unethical.

Gae Linfoot

Friday, March 30, 2012 1:35 AM
  • I think I'm starting to understand Rick Dee's frustration in his post (or, it appears to be frustration :) ).  Since Oct when I made this thread I've built and rebuild maybe 40 computers, Toshiba, Dell, HP, etc, some with OEM OS's and some VL licensed ones.  Turns out the retail copy is the same too. 

The solution provided by Rick Dee is correct.  Stick with that, follow it precisely, and if that doesn't work, post back specifics. 

Thursday, April 05, 2012 6:27 PM
  • This does not work for many

I have a retail version of Win7, and since upgrading to SP1 with IE9 as the default, IE8 is gone, gone from the system period. If I kept my SP backup I probably could get it back, but no such luck.

An Upgrade-Repair from an SP1 install disk is the only solution. Be sure to delete IE 9 is before you do it. With the Upgrade-Repair IE 8 will be back.

Gerald Fay

Saturday, April 07, 2012 6:45 PM
  • Good info JeffyF1 thanks for sharing that. 
    Saturday, April 07, 2012 8:47 PM
  •   I have an Acer that came with Win7 and IE 8 as the default broswer.  I used the sequence described and got IE 8 back.  The one tiny glitch I found in the sequence is not to type Programs and Features.  But to type Programs Features.  Adding and in the search gave the wrong response. 

I uninstalled IE 9.  I did not have to search for anything relative to IE 8.  Only restarted my computer and IE 8 was back with all shortcuts and my  personal settings. 

It worked for me.   I am sure it will work for others too. 

Wednesday, April 11, 2012 8:05 AM
  • Rick, thank you for posting the complete answer.  This is the first time anyone has said that the IE8 option had to be re-activated under Windows features.  Microsoft should bump this item to the top of the search list.
    Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:03 PM
  • No idea why somebody flagged your post as abusive.  Anyway, unless you have other system issues you're not telling us about, hardware problems have nothing whatsoever to do with your issue of icons showing up like that.  You most likely have a virus or just some quirky thing installed on your system like a download manager perhaps.  Go buy something like the latest Norton Internet Security, install it, and hopefully it can be installed and clean your system if the potentially existant virus doesn't sotp it.  But if you're going through all this hardware repalcment stuff just because of some IE8 icons, you need to be pointed in the right direction. Dell consumer PC tech support is for hardware troubleshooting - they rarely know much about working within the operating system beyond the basics.  Your only real option is to track down a local computer consultant and my guess would be he/she'll advise yo9u to backup your data, and will offer to wipe your system and reinstall Windows since that's the most effective way to ensure your system is both virus free and is also back to default operation. 

Wednesday, December 12, 2012 2:49 PM