none
windows 8 setup does not prompt for license key, then fails, on hp envy notebook

Question

• Hi,

I am trying to install Windows 8 pro on an hp envy dv7 notebook, that came with a Windows 8 home pre-installed.

I tried by running the setup from the CD inserted while Windows was running, but setup complained that no license key matched the CD and faled. Strange enough, setup did not prompt for any license key!

I tried the setup on another, older PC, there it did prompt for license key and setup ended well. At least it was not the CD.

Then I retried booting from setup CD, it loaded files, then started the setup without promptiing for any license key, and failed again.

Then I tried with a Windows 7 CD, same behavior, not prompting for license key and fail to setup.

Then I "repaired" Windows by booting from CD and reformatting the hard drive, dropping all Windows partitions, then restart setup from CD, but it still behaved the same way: not prompting for license key, and failing to setup.

I called the HP support, and they answered that it was a problem for Microsoft (what a good support, the only place where the problem occurs is the hp computer, but let the Customer call Microsoft instead).

So here I am, did any of you use an hp computer, and succeeded in installing Windows 8 PRO NFR from Technet plus on it?

Regards

Pierre

Thursday, November 08, 2012 6:09 PM

Answers

• What is your HP NoteBook Model No? Are you referring any of the following:

HP ENVY dv7t-7200 Quad Edition Notebook PC
    HP ENVY dv7t-7200 Select Edition Notebook PC

Please try the following:

1. Make sure that you have downloaded the ISO from Technet / MSDN and check the ISO integrity by comparing the SHA1 values against MSDN / Technet Subscription Page.

2. Since you are installing Windows 8 Pro on a branded HP Laptop you will have to do a clean install (by doing so you will void the warranty and support).

Please do reply once you tried the above steps.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:04 AM

All replies

• What is your HP NoteBook Model No? Are you referring any of the following:

HP ENVY dv7t-7200 Quad Edition Notebook PC
    HP ENVY dv7t-7200 Select Edition Notebook PC

Please try the following:

1. Make sure that you have downloaded the ISO from Technet / MSDN and check the ISO integrity by comparing the SHA1 values against MSDN / Technet Subscription Page.

2. Since you are installing Windows 8 Pro on a branded HP Laptop you will have to do a clean install (by doing so you will void the warranty and support).

Please do reply once you tried the above steps.

Regards,
    prathaprabhu

Friday, November 09, 2012 4:04 AM
  • Hi,

I am trying to install Windows 8 pro on an hp envy dv7 notebook, that came with a Windows 8 home pre-installed.

I tried by running the setup from the CD inserted while Windows was running, but setup complained that no license key matched the CD and faled. Strange enough, setup did not prompt for any license key!

I tried the setup on another, older PC, there it did prompt for license key and setup ended well. At least it was not the CD.

Then I retried booting from setup CD, it loaded files, then started the setup without promptiing for any license key, and failed again.

Then I tried with a Windows 7 CD, same behavior, not prompting for license key and fail to setup.

Then I "repaired" Windows by booting from CD and reformatting the hard drive, dropping all Windows partitions, then restart setup from CD, but it still behaved the same way: not prompting for license key, and failing to setup.

I called the HP support, and they answered that it was a problem for Microsoft (what a good support, the only place where the problem occurs is the hp computer, but let the Customer call Microsoft instead).

So here I am, did any of you use an hp computer, and succeeded in installing Windows 8 PRO NFR from Technet plus on it?

Regards

Pierre

Is it a Chinese Editon preinstalled in HP notebook?

Windows 8 preinstall machine includes a license key in system firmware. So Windows 8 setup will use this key rather than pop up product key input text pop. It is a Microsoft by design issue. So no good mathod to workaround this problem.

http://whqlcn.wordpress.com

Saturday, December 21, 2013 2:55 PM